where to get a suit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Not suit snobs. It's the same as saying you don't need a Lexus but please don't buy your car at "PJ's Used Cars:YOU ARE PRE-APPROVED"

A good suit will last years and the cheap suits I've boughten fall apart and the seams rip, etc.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I have several suits. My go-to suit, and the color may be debatable, is my solid black suit with light blue tie and pocket square. The shirts with this are interchangeable. I just bought my newest addition, with leather-soled shoes, for $1,000. If you want to look like you know what you are doing without flaunting it buy real leather-soled dress shoes and a decent Swiss-made watch. You can get a Tissot or Victorinox for around $500 (cheaper online) and a stainless steel band will go with anything. It may be expensive but this combo will last 10 years without going out of style.

Whoever said all suits must be tailored is correct. There are no exceptions. If you think you have an exception you are wrong. I would rather spend $50 on a suit and $200 on tailoring than $1,000 on a non-tailored suit.

With that being said, a dark charcoal gray is probably the best all-around suit color but I wear black because it hide its flaws better. I wear a tan/light brown suit for events like Easter or a graduation to keep it dressy but not so "business-like".

Men have little room for personalization so don't skimp on shoes or the watch because that's all we really get. A $400 pair of Allen Edmonds is going to look better and hold up against style changes more than $75 on-sale from JCPenney.

Don't wear a blue blazer with khakis for a mid-level interview because it looks too casual. The only salvation for that is if it is winter and you add a sweater to the ensemble and your shoes are good quality.

Most men dress really bad. Once you get a good suit tailored you'll notice right away how many men at conferences have coats that are two sizes too big and it makes them look sloppy.

View attachment 16959

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
No offense to those that have, but I would never spend $1000 bucks on a suit. Hell I wouldnt spend $500.

If you are a lawyer or something I could see spending a ton of money. I could also see it if you were interviewing for a VP jop or CEO or something but this kid was talking about his first job interview.

I dont argue that you should buy something nice and something that will last but for 75% of the population that wears khakis/slacks and Polos to work it seems a bit overkill.

Think about it for one minute, if you dont get the job because your suit or watch isnt "classy" enough do you really want to work there anyway? Again there are certian careers where this makes sense (ie lawyer, CEO etc) but most not so much.

Then again to each their own. Just dont act like you are a big shot because you spend a lot on your suits.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If you want to spend the money on a expensive suit and spend upwards of $300 on a single suit more power to you thats your choice, but doesn't mean someone else who doesn't do that is less qualified. Do they have to live in a huge house and drive a brand new Mercedes too? I guess you wouldn't be highering Warren Buffet.

To insist that a COLLEGE STUDENT has to buy a expensive suit and get it tailored if he wants to have a shot at a job is downright immature and I sure as hell hope you aren't in charge of any highering because you are going to miss out on a TON of good talent.

BTW if you judge someone based on if they have a nice watch your in for a rough future...I don't know anyone under the age of 30 that wears a watch at anytime. There are some but one of the reasons we have cell phones glued to us is so we know what time it is. Funny this comes up since I have spent a good amount of time with a VP of a very large well known company who has a watch but I have seen him check his phone just for the time.

/rant

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
No, I just would not be caught dead in a poorly made/looking suit. The entire idea is to look good and professional, people can tell that you got a suit at walmart.

If I go into a job interview and tell them I want to make $100K wearing a $75 suit, they are not going to take me too seriously.
Did you miss the part where he said cheap suit? Spending $1000 on a suit, shirt and shoes is not a cheap suit. And probably overkill for most coming out of college.

I found some at Younkers or Von Maur...always get them mixed up...but try them for some decent suits. I've never purchased an expensive one but I've seen plenty of cheap ones and it seemed like they had some nice deals on some suits that didn't feel like they were in the cheapy category. But agreed...get it tailored.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Try going to a mortuary that does cremations. If you look in the dumpster out behind the building, you will find a virtual bonanza.