Where Are They Now? The Former Cyclone WBB Players Thread

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Inspired by I-stateTheTruth's "Cyclone in the Pros" threads, I thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to our beloved former Cyclone WBB players.

For Bridget Carleton, we have an exclusive thread thanks to simville02.

And most of us already know the following:

Alison "Aus" Lacey Otzelberger is the first lady of ISU MBB program.

Lyndsey Medders Fennelly and Kelsey Bolte Carper are coaches' spouses and staying very close to our WBB program.

Heather Ezell is the associate head coach at Wyoming.

If you have good, interesting and fun stuff about other former Cyclones, I'd really appreciate it if you could share it with us.

Here's my first post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emily Durr

Em recently joined the Dayton WBB program as an administrative assoicate. Em is one of my favorite players and I have been following her post-ISU career. She has stayed in coaching since she graduated from ISU and I hope she continues working her way up the coaching ladder. After Coach Fen retires, Em can be a good candidate to join the new ISU coaching staff if she's interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexa Middleton

Alexa, who played in the Swedish League in the past two seasons, has signed with a French team Reims Champagne Basket to compete in Div. 2 of the French WBB League in the next season.

Link to the news article:

Brittany Wilkins

She is living in Japan and teaching at an international school in Tokyo. You can listen to her interview on Cycast.

Meredith Burkhall

Mere received a master's degree from Dublin City University in Ireland last year. She was recently seen coaching a Kingdom Hoops AAU team.

Hallie Christofferson

She's still working as a graphic designer at the Imaginal Marketing Group in New Orleans.

Hallie Christofferson.gif

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I did an in depth interview with Angie Welle a couple of years ago. Should be buried somewhere in the WBB threads.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
GO Em! Her Dad was her coach and we were so excited to have her at Iowa State. Great to hear she is building her resume. Last I heard she had returned to N.Y. state and was coaching there.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Anna Florzak I believe is still with Nike.
Tracy Gahan is down under with her wife, Erin Phillips.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sara Seifert (Gunderson) coached Chaska High School to the Class AAAA state championship here in Minnesota this past season. Her shooting guard and friend Julie McDonough (Hand) is a director at Bremer Banks here in Minnesota.

Tara-Seifer-photo-crop-1432x940-1619628688.jpg

PGH High School Coach of the Year: Tara Seifert

Reactions: StClone

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
An update on Maddie Wise.

Her hometown newspaper recently published an article detailing her transfer to IUPUI. Wishing Maddie the best of luck in the upcoming season!

I excerpt some key paragraphs here.

Preparing to finish up her fourth year at Iowa State with a bachelor’s degree in marketing and business management, the Greenfield native honestly thought the final chapter of her basketball career ended after the Cyclones lost in overtime during the second round of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament in March.

Set on earning a master’s degree in organizational leadership, Iowa State unfortunately didn’t offer the program Wise needed to continue her educational pursuits despite having one more year of eligibility.

Then, her former AAU basketball teammates with Indy Magic reached out and presented her with an option.

“Originally, I didn’t really think I was going to play again,” Wise said. “I was pretty set on being done, and then I was talking with some of my old AAU teammates, who played at IUPUI, and they told me, ‘You could get your master’s here. You could play at home and see your family whenever you want.’ And, I thought, that doesn’t sound like too bad of a deal.”

In April, the announcement was officially made, and Wise seized her opportunity by becoming a graduate transfer, which gave her a chance to not only return home but enjoy one more season.

“I had a great four years there (Iowa State). It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of great people. I had a great experience there and I was very thankful for the four years there,” Wise said.

“It’s definitely special playing in the NCAA Tournament. I always said when I was little that I always wanted to play in March. That’s where you want to be. You grow up watching that and it’s just so neat, so yeah, that was definitely something super special getting to play in the tournament. That’s our end goal this year as well.”

A major selling point, however, was being close to home, again with her parents in the Greenfield area and a short driving distance away from Fort Wayne where her siblings Darren and Kristen and their families reside.

With the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic over the past year and the tragic passing of her nephew, Levi, on March 12, family and life’s perspectives have taken priority for Wise.

Levi, the son of Wise’s sister, Kristen Ginder, and her husband, Layton, was born on Jan. 28 and passed away on March 12. Wise spent time with her family for the services days before rejoining her Iowa State teammates prior to the NCAA Tournament.

As for her career after one last season at IUPUI, Wise isn’t looking that far ahead just yet. Her course load this summer and the past eight weeks of conditioning are keeping her busy enough.

“I double majored at Iowa State, and I always thought I was busy because I was always taking a lot of classes and credits, so I thought I could take 12 credits in a master's program, no problem. I didn’t realize how much more work is involved in a master's program, but it’s been great. I’ve enjoyed it so far,” Wise said.

“You just never know what the future holds. You never know what tomorrow holds. You never know what’s going to happen. You just have to take it day by day, being thankful for even being able to work out and hang out and getting to do what we love. It’s been crazy with everything that’s been going on, so I’m very thankful.”

Last edited:
Reactions: ISU71

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Sara Seifert (Gunderson) coached Chaska High School to the Class AAAA state championship here in Minnesota this past season. Her shooting guard and friend Julie McDonough (Hand) is a director at Bremer Banks here in Minnesota.

Tara-Seifer-photo-crop-1432x940-1619628688.jpg

PGH High School Coach of the Year: Tara Seifert
Her program should start producing some devet recruits. A Tara Gunderson prodigy would be nice to get to ISU.

Noted TeeTee Starks Mom was runnerup.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron