When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 18.0%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 173 23.8%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 373 51.4%

• Total voters

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The thing that scares me a little is what happens on 5/1. Millions of owners will lose FSD and when they hit their right stalk, it will just go to AutoPilot, which is not anything like FSD. There are a lot of drivers that have been using FSD religiously over the last few weeks, and may be accustomed to the car handling everything. I suppose they will put a lot of warnings out on the first day.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Where does that end? Where do you draw the line?

I don't want to argue it here, and won't, just make the point that reasonable people can disagree where that line is. And that unreasonable people can use that to justify all kinds of tyranny and oppression.

I draw the line where people are unreasonably afraid of technological innovation that could save lives.

I'm not philosophical about it. I don't where the line is. Somebody, somewhere thinks we've gone way too far with seatbelt laws. I don't care about them, the way I won't care about people uncomfortable about automated cars when they are just demonstrably safer.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I draw the line where people are unreasonably afraid of technological innovation that could save lives.

I'm not philosophical about it. I don't where the line is. Somebody, somewhere thinks we've gone way too far with seatbelt laws. I don't care about them, the way I won't care about people uncomfortable about automated cars when they are just demonstrably safer.
Yep, imagine a world where a vehicle death (or even just a vehicle crash) is a news story because it happens so infrequently.
I'll take that.

• Winner
Reactions: herbicide

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Exactly, all you will hear is somebody got run over, or the auto drive drove me right into a lake. But even if you can show statistics proving that it has less accidents than human drivers, it will be the emotional "what about the children?" that dominates headlines.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it"

Ah, I was reading through the latest posts and immediately thought of the same Men in Black quote.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep, imagine a world where a vehicle death (or even just a vehicle crash) is a news story because it happens so infrequently.
I'll take that.

Or even traffic synchronicity. A huge amount of traffic is just people driving like morons accelerating into brake lights of the cars in front of them.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Or even traffic synchronicity. A huge amount of traffic is just people driving like morons accelerating into brake lights of the cars in front of them.
I always think about this when I'm stuck in a big line at a stop light, if when the light turned green, every single car started moving forward at the same time.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I always think about this when I'm stuck in a big line at a stop light, if when the light turned green, every single car started moving forward at the same time.

Or if people on a massive freeway just cruised up to the brake lights in front of them instead of accelerating into them and slamming on their own brakes. Would ease congestion but also reduce accidents.

I’m skeptical as a society we can embrace the reality that self driving cars are safer yet still not 100% safe. People really struggle with per capita stats and percentages. I’m thrilled Big 12 is done being a small ten team conference mainly for that reason.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy