What Iowa State Organization Has Asked you For Money?

Who Asks you for Money

• Cyclone Club

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Alumni Association

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
As a recent grad the Alumni Association hits me up for money once or twice a year. Since I became a member it has increased of course.

But I don't get calls from the Athletic Dept or the Cyclone Club and I think a lot of people get the two organizations confused or think they are one in the same, thinking when they donate to the Alumni Association at Pep Ralleys prior to our sporting events, that their money would be going to athletics.

After the thread yesterday regarding increased revenue I was wondering if I was the only one not getting hit up by the Cyclone Club.

JRCampy

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was in the marching band for 5 years, and have donated in the past. Their call center people are pretty persistant, I ususally try not to answer when they call, but then they call every night for the next three weeks!! I've decided to wait until I have myself paid off (student loans for an out-of-state student for the next 4+ years) until they get anymore of my cash...

NWIAclone

Apr 11, 2006
Lake Okoboji
The Vet Clinic. I had someone call last week and said they were raising money so they could keep their fees down for customers. When I told them I had indeed used their fine facilities and it cost me about $5,000 for my dog's cataract surgery a few years ago.....the conversation got real quiet.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Hmm, thats odd, I'm also a 5 year band alum and have never been called by them. Never been called by athletics either. That said, I do get calls from the alumni association. Usually a couple different times a year, and yes, if I ignore them they call every day for weeks. They are also impossible to get off the phone if you answer. For me it actually has a reverse effect, it makes me want to donate to the AA less because they are so pushy and persistent, I'd rather give to athletics. Of course I'm probably in the minority on that.

ST8FTBL

Jul 31, 2008
The band calls for donations and is impossible to get off of the phone. I would much rather donate more to the Gridiron Club, at least the majority of that goes directly to the football program.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yes the band people that call are annoying. The AA calls also and they try to be buddy buddy with you then ask for the money. I used to tell them we are still paying on my wifes loans so we cannot give. Now that they are paid off I am not sure what I am going to tell them. Maybe something like when my degree makes me the big bucks I will give back.

Its not like they want a little bit of money either. I think last time they started at $2000, I about fell out of my chair.

I do give to the NCC, but I do get something for my money there, but they never have called me.

Last edited:

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I get called once a year from the alumni association. I either let the click of the phone do the talking for me, or I put my chatterbox 4 year old on the phone to talk about how cool Cy is.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The Marching Band calls me at least twice a year and those buggers are hard to get off the phone.

I'm donated money "for" the marching band, but it's always a student working for the ISU Foundation who calls. We're life AA members, so the AA hasn't called, although they're now trying to elicit more money from us life members by offering a "sustaining" membership level.

No calls from Athletics, Gridiron or any other specific ISU entity. I think the Foundation tightly controls the ask lists.

It is funny when a student caller asks about the last time I've been on campus and I say, "today. I work there." Was funnier when I lived an hour and a half away and commuted.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Better question might be "which one hasn't"

Cyclone Club, Alum Assoc, College of Business, Band, Fraternity. I'm sure there were others.