What if Texas stays...

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
this is an odd question now that everything has blown up.....but i ask this question...

What if Texas stayed....

I still cannot get my hands around the concept of profitability of having your sports teams traveling all over the nation....as the ESPN analysts said, yeah its fine for football the biggest revenue generator, but, what about womens softball....a lot of their games are on tuesdays or thursdays......Lubbock to Pullman.....dont sound like a user friendly conference.....unless they really only play the teams in their division....

And on that note, how would you like to be Arizona and Arizona St and in essence go from having a fighting chance in the Pac 10 to being in the Big 12 South....can you say 2 win seasons on the horizon......

Okay, so, the remaining big 12 teams go to texas with a plan....were going to give you a bigger piece of the pie and form our own mega conference which they would have a greater probability of playing in the NC games then being in a super power conference and battling the likes of OK and USC for a chance.....

Make it appealing to Ok and Ok St by splitting them from Texas and thus giving them an easier schedule - then if they chose to continue the red river battle they can...

So, why not let Colorado and Nebraska go....

Go out and get TCU, Louisville, Houston, Arkansas or the likes and give Texas the keys to the conference - thats what they want anyways....

If not, i hope some formula or scenario will help ISU in some way...

one last thought - is there any breaches of contract with the conferences for these teams to bolt? Will they get sued by the conference - how does that play out...I'm surprised the NCAA has allowed this to happen....this will change the landscape of collegiate athletics for the next 50 years.....

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
yeah, and what if i poop gold bricks? It is not looking good for us at ALL.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Whatever happens, I'll follow ISU and cheer my heart out, but I am done with Texas. I want to experience life without having Texas stepping on our throats.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
yeah, and what if i poop gold bricks? It is not looking good for us at ALL.

I understand that - but colorado to Pac10 - geographically it makes sense.

Nebraska to the big 10 - makes geographical sense.

Okie St to Pac 10 does not make sense.

Texas Tech to Pac 10 does not make sense...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Very possible. OU, aTm, and Texas were all against revenue sharing. As was Nebraska. So we lose Colorado and Nebraska. You need to replace those teams. Probably add someone like Memphis, Louisville, or Cincinatti. Texas stays in the Big XII, as does OU. Texas starts their own TV network. Pac 10 gets Colorado. Big Freaking deal. Does the Pac 10 raid and get Utah? That would devastate the MWC. Or does the Pac 10 stand pat?

Now is the time to issue the ultimatum to Texas and OU about Loyalty to the Big XII.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Giving the keys to the conference to Texas helped get us into the current mess in the first place.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Now is the time to issue the ultimatum to Texas and OU about Loyalty to the Big XII.

Don't you only get to issue ultimatums from a position of power? We're not the ones with the power here - Texas and OU are. You don't go issuing ultimatums to the ones with the power to hold this conference together.

Cyclone7

Sep 8, 2007
What if this was all a ploy by NU and UT to get rid of CU?

You are crazy if you believe this. Texas is not staying in a Big 12 conference, which is all but gone at this point. They will leave and they are looking for the best deal right now. I am sure behind closed doors they have an offer from PAC10 and probably prelim offers from BigTen and maybe even SEC. Just because the media isn't reporting it doesn't mean it's not happening, but Texas I am sure is getting serious offers from not just one conference.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Don't you only get to issue ultimatums from a position of power? We're not the ones with the power here - Texas and OU are. You don't go issuing ultimatums to the ones with the power to hold this conference together.

Exactly. Texas would need help getting out the door they'd be laughing at us so hard. They'd jump to whatever conference wanted them most, or just go independent for a while, which they could probably pull off pretty easily.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
You are crazy if you believe this. Texas is not staying in a Big 12 conference, which is all but gone at this point. They will leave and they are looking for the best deal right now. I am sure behind closed doors they have an offer from PAC10 and probably prelim offers from BigTen and maybe even SEC. Just because the media isn't reporting it doesn't mean it's not happening, but Texas I am sure is getting serious offers from not just one conference.

You obviously haven't been fitted with your "that's such an absurd statement he can't possibly be serious" hat.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
You obviously haven't been fitted with your "that's such an absurd statement he can't possibly be serious" hat.

My Crazy Thought (since I haven't posted at all about this) -

With CU gone, see if UT would be willing to stay in the Big XII if we can get Notre Dame. Then use UT to pitch to ND the following idea:

1. Since the Big XII doesn't share equally, allow ND to keep all of its revenue from the NBC contract. ND would also receive its small share of the additional tv revenues. This stays in place until the Big XII network is put in place within 2 years and as part of the agreement, ND is guaranteed to receive as much revenue as it would have from the NBC contract.

2. For Basketball, also agree to make offers to Marquette, Depaul, Xavier and Creighton - in essence to assist in the Chicago and Cincinnati markets as well as just creating a premier basketball league for television purposes for a conference network.

BTW - if the Big XII goes nuclear maybe ND wants to control a conference of its own: divisions of:

ND, ISU, KU, KSU, Mizzou, BYU and Utah (add Creighton and Marquette for BB);

Cincy, Memphis, Louisville, Arkansas, TCU, Houston, Baylor (add Xavier and Depaul for BB):wink:

Neckbeard

Dec 20, 2008
Does USC's massive football sanctions today make Texas and the other 4 schools looking at the Pac-10 pause? They are the flagship school that's going to be down for a good amount of time with a 2 year ban and the loss of 30 scholarships. Is the Pac-10 as attractive as it was yesterday?

Does Texas want to submit to a conference with the name Pacific in it? They do think they are the center of the universe.

The USC thing is our last best shot. Maybe the Big 12 South will consider staying together rather than merging with a weakened Pac-10. This is not likely. I know.