What a joke

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
This is my logic. They played and won too many close games. You almost never see that 2 years in a row where a team manages to win all the close games against good teams. I have the feeling that a couple injuries and a couple bad breaks, with fumbles, int's or officiating calls, and they will lose 3-4 games. And just like the Northwestern game last year, they will lose one they should not. Remember, Northwestern was dominating in Kinnick before Stanzi got hurt.

Losing by 10 is dominating?

Care to explain?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Actually, Iowa was up 10-0 when he got hurt. He fumbled on the play and Northwestern recovered in the end zone to make it 10-7 Iowa.

Yes, but NW had forced an INT and a punt int he two previous offensive trips. Iowa came out fast but then sputtered. When Stanzi got sacked and fumbled, the momentum had already changed.

Doesn't matter. NW has iowa's number. They are 4-1 in their last 5 meetings. NW owns iowa much like iowa owns Penn State

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Quite the opposite actually, Iowa was totally in control and threatening to break it open when they made that stupid play call in the end zone and nobody bothered to block the guy on the edge. That's going to be Iowa's downfall in at least one game this year...conservative and head scratching play calling

This just isn't true. Not that NW wasn't dominating, they weren't but Iowa was not threatening to break it open. NW had shut them down after the first TD

The hoks started out fast with a TD. Then they slowed and got a FG. Then the next two possessions were not good. They were forced to punt and then Stanzi, well, was Stanzi and threw an INT.
The next possession was the sack and fumble. I am not sure how you can say they were rolling and about to break it open when they had 2nd and 10 and were on the 6.

NW made a play. NW makes plays against Iowa every single year. NW beat them.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
If you're talking about this article, it's not his ideas. It's what the ESPN folks came up with.

Big Ten featured in 20 for '10 - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

They aren't saying Iowa's going to win it all. They think they're going to have an easier time reaching that goal.

Even though they rank tOSU at #2 and Iowa at #9? Shouldn't the #2 team beat the #9 team even if they play at the #9 teams place?

I'll ask again; Is Iowa the overwhelming favorite to win the Big Ten? If not, why are they in the same sentence with national championship?

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
If you're talking about this article, it's not his ideas. It's what the ESPN folks came up with.

They aren't saying Iowa's going to win it all. They think they're going to have an easier time reaching that goal.

Even though they rank tOSU at #2 and Iowa at #9? Shouldn't the #2 team beat the #9 team even if they play at the #9 teams place?

I'll ask again; Is Iowa the overwhelming favorite to win the Big Ten? If not, why are they in the same sentence with national championship?

Not necessarily, considering Iowa took OSU to OT at the Shoe. If both bring back similar teams, then I think they're assuming home field advantage at least makes this a close game. Plus, I don't think it's all the same 'experts' making these lists.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA

I'm not sure why Iowa would have to be the overwhelming favorite to be in the national championship talk.

Most pubs have Iowa, OSU, and Wisconsin as the clear top 3 in the Big 10, in varying orders.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

You are aware that a single conference can have more than one national title contender, right? I believe both Alabama and Florida were title contenders last year.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a feeling Iowa loses more games than the experts think, it's just their MO.

BUT an Iowa National Championship would not be good at all.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Not necessarily, considering Iowa took OSU to OT at the Shoe. If both bring back similar teams, then I think they're assuming home field advantage at least makes this a close game. Plus, I don't think it's all the same 'experts' making these lists.[/quote]

I'm not sure why Iowa would have to be the overwhelming favorite to be in the national championship talk.

Most pubs have Iowa, OSU, and Wisconsin as the clear top 3 in the Big 10, in varying orders.

Coulda shoulda woulda.
So, ESPNs official position is NOT that tOSU is #2 and Iowa is #9?

The biggest reason Iowa shouldn't be in NC talk at ESPN is that ESPN doesn't think they'll win their own conference, correct?

But I can make meaningless statements too; If ISU runs the table they're in the National Championship Game.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Coulda shoulda woulda.
So, ESPNs official position is NOT that tOSU is #2 and Iowa is #9?

The biggest reason Iowa shouldn't be in NC talk at ESPN is that ESPN doesn't think they'll win their own conference, correct?

But I can make meaningless statements too; If ISU runs the table they're in the National Championship Game.

So according to you ESPN couldn't list Texas and Oklahoma both as title contenders most years since only one of them can win the B12, is that correct?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
You are aware that a single conference can have more than one national title contender, right? I believe both Alabama and Florida were title contenders last year.

You are aware that Alabama and Florida are in different divisions right? The caveat with those teams was that (if undefeated when they met) the winner would go to the NC.

Not the case with the Big Ten this year; we don't have pundits saying that tOSU/Iowa will determine a NC berth because Wisconsin is in the mix too.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Yes but if those two teams face each other, it hurts their chances. I would say the winner of the iowa/tOSU game have a shot but the loser does not.

Really, because if Texas had lost, there were people considering a Florida vs Alabama NCG.

If Iowa and OSU are ranked #2 and #1 when they face each other, and there aren't any other undefeated teams (especially out of the SEC or other BCS conference), you can still have an Iowa v OSU NCG if Iowa wins. It happened when #1 and #2 Michigan faced off in The Game a few seasons back. It's highly unlikely though.

Anyway, we're deviating from the original question though. I think the question was 'how can Iowa have the easiest road to the NCG, but not be heavily favored to win their conference and go undefeated?'.

Again, I feel the author of that list is assuming that the only real tough test Iowa will have is OSU, who we have the fortune of playing at home. Other teams will face tougher opponents and most likely face more than a few of those opponents on the road. So, one tough test at home vs many tough tests on the road. Which would be easier? That's what the author's saying.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
So according to you ESPN couldn't list Texas and Oklahoma both as title contenders most years since only one of them can win the B12, is that correct?

So, according to you it makes sense for ESPN to rank tOSU higher than Iowa but states that it's more likely that Iowa goes to the national championship, is that correct?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Anyway, we're deviating from the original question though. I think the question was 'how can Iowa have the easiest road to the NCG, but not be heavily favored to win their conference and go undefeated?'.

Again, I feel the author of that list is assuming that the only real tough test Iowa will have is OSU, who we have the fortune of playing at home. Other teams will face tougher opponents and most likely face more than a few of those opponents on the road. So, one tough test at home vs many tough tests on the road. Which would be easier? That's what the author's saying.[/quote]

This is why I asked if Iowa was an overwhelming favorite by B10 writers because if Wisconsin is indeed hovering around 1-3 then that should be as tough a test as tOSU.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
So, according to you it makes sense for ESPN to rank tOSU higher than Iowa but states that it's more likely that Iowa goes to the national championship, is that correct?

See my post right above yours.

Iowa's toughest tests, according to the author, is OSU at home and Arizona on the road. OSU, however, has more difficult tests (Iowa on the road, Wisconsin on the road, Miami at home, etc).

Also, the person who wrote the article apparently puts a lot of credence to home field advantage. Iowa plays all of it's tough Big 10 games at home, and gets to play ISU at home as well. Arizona on the road is apparently the only real test on the road.

This is why I asked if Iowa was an overwhelming favorite by B10 writers because if Wisconsin is indeed hovering around 1-3 then that should be as tough a test as tOSU.

Not necessarily. I think Wisconsin is predicted to be easier for Iowa to handle than OSU.

Last edited:

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
Game aren't won on paper. Iowa will lose to at least one team that they shouldn't and they will not win every close game this year.

Iowa will lose three games. Write it down.

I am so confident in this happening that I made a wager with sportstalkmatt

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Is it possible? Sure. But this is a team that had A LOT go right for them in order to win a bunch of games last year. First, they block two FGs to beat UNI. Then they benefited from Penn St's meltdown. Then they beat Michigan St's "prevent you from winning" defense to score the game-winning TD on the final play. I'm not taking anything away from Iowa on last season - they took full advantage of the opportunities presented to them. Most importantly, Stanzi, while not exactly impressive, managed games impressively.

IMO, the only way Iowa goes undefeated and is playing for a BCS Title this year is if they catch every single break they got last year and then some (like, Stanzi not geting hurt). If they have to "make their own luck" this year, they could be in for a world of hurt. I mean, their D is going to keep them in virtually every single ball game, however, for as vaunted as their OL seems to be by, well, everyone, their offense didn't exactly put up a whole lot of numbers last year.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
HO!HO!HO!!!!!!!!I WILL LAUGH REALLY HARD IF THE SQUAWKS WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WHAT A #@#@ING JOKE!!!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron