Weather Channel for Aug 31

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Scattered showers isn't a big deal, so long as there isn't lightning. I think the mild temperatures will keep that down. If you can't get over a little wetness tailgating, you're a weiner.

Gawd, it would be disaster to have to cancel another home opener !

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Gawd, it would be disaster to have to cancel another home opener !
The good thing about an 11 am opener is that you can keep pushing back the game later and later if need be.

Reactions: Go2Guy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Serious question for the weather nerds. If weather can change from predictions so easily what is the purpose of making those predictions so early? What direct outcome comes from it?

Speaking for myself I use it for long term planning. For example if I have a race scheduled in Nebraska in 10 days I am constantly watching their forecast. Some of my races are pretty far away so even though the forecast may change I like to keep tabs on it.

Reactions: fenton06

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Serious question for the weather nerds. If weather can change from predictions so easily what is the purpose of making those predictions so early? What direct outcome comes from it?

People want to know. So they give a prediction. It doesn’t hurt anything.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just hope it's light rain and not "close G7" rain.

This. If the grass lots close that would really suck. I just hope the filed doesn't get all torn up right out of the gate. That could make for some crappy field conditions the rest of the season. If that would be the case I will all but guarantee that CMC gets turf put in.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This. If the grass lots close that would really suck. I just hope the filed doesn't get all torn up right out of the gate. That could make for some crappy field conditions the rest of the season. If that would be the case I will all but guarantee that CMC gets turf put in.

Eh, let's not jump the gun here. Drainage concerns are not the same as the bad turf issue at the end of last season. If I'm not mistaken, Ames hasn't had an unusual amount of rain lately, should stay dry all week, and, I thought, drains pretty well. So barring a deluge it should be fine, especially with two weeks to recover before the next game.

But if the turf fails again this year like it did a year ago, then I'd agree it's time to try something new. Though for an ag school with a very good turf program I would think going artificial would be a tough sell politically.

I'd be all for field turf in G7, however.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Eh, let's not jump the gun here. Drainage concerns are not the same as the bad turf issue at the end of last season. If I'm not mistaken, Ames hasn't had an unusual amount of rain lately, should stay dry all week, and, I thought, drains pretty well. So barring a deluge it should be fine, especially with two weeks to recover before the next game.

But if the turf fails again this year like it did a year ago, then I'd agree it's time to try something new. Though for an ag school with a very good turf program I would think going artificial would be a tough sell politically.

I know the field drains well but with enough moisture the field will still be soft...

Meh the whole grass field/ag school angle is overplayed. I love the grass field but if switching to turf means having a consistent playing surface sign me up. Last year was a mess and it could certainly happen again.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I know the field drains well but with enough moisture the field will still be soft...

Meh the whole grass field/ag school angle is overplayed. I love the grass field but if switching to turf means having a consistent playing surface sign me up. Last year was a mess and it could certainly happen again.

Are there any land grant schools that play on artificial turf in this country? We should shut down the university if we cannot maintain a grass playing surface...

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: flycy and alarson

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

I agree it will be fine and with this weather right now it’s good for the field. As long as we don’t have 20 inches in a season the field will be fine imo

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

No arguments here, but in 20+ years of a natural grass surface we've had real problems what, one time? Not yet a cause for alarm, IMO.

isumet

Feb 25, 2019

Because it's our job. The forecasted general pattern here hasn't changed much since this thread was first started, but small changes make a difference. The cool weather has been expected for a couple weeks - that's nice to plan for instead of sweltering heat. If the situation had been reversed, and well above average temperatures were expected, I'm sure you would want to know about that too.

Also, having an idea of model forecast trends over time is quite useful for us. Forecasts in the medium-long range aren't going to be constant... but if there's an observable trend in forecasts over time, we can use that to extrapolate and/or get a feel for confidence in a particular solution.

For this weekend... the trends are headed towards a more rainy solution. One of the more reliable forecast systems (Euro) produces an ensemble of 51 different "members". Two nights ago, about 50% of the members had rain Saturday. Yesterday it was about 75%. Now it's closer to 95%. On the other hand... the American model and its ensemble have remained constantly dry. Last night's run has only about 25% of its members producing any rain during the day at all.

To answer the original question posed here... the point of long range forecasts is to give a "best guess" based on the pattern and then hopefully gain more confidence as time progresses. Here, our pattern suggested cool (but probably dry)... but trends in the forecasted pattern suggest more potential for rain. If those trends continue over the next day or two... rain will become much more of a certainty.

I'm certainly not a turf management expert, but given the relatively dry weather we've seen the last month or so, I don't think one day of rain would wreck the field. The only way that would probably happen is if we get 2+ inches of rain during the game

Reactions: CyTwins

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
No arguments here, but in 20+ years of a natural grass surface we've had real problems what, one time? Not yet a cause for alarm, IMO.

I don't disagree but there has been rumblings that CMC would rather have turf. If he wants turf I do too...

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Ugh, Saturday was looking so nice just a couple of days ago. Now it is literally the worst weather day expected of the next ten.

Why can't we have nice things?

• Funny
Reactions: AlaCyclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm actually hoping for rain. I have a race in Harlan, IA Saturday night so I need to leave the game at the end of the 3rd quarter, but if it rains and my race gets rained out then I can stay the entire game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron