WBB: Cyclones at #21 Mountain Mamma's 6:00 p.m. ESPN+

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Big game tonight at West Virginia. To keep any share of a title hope alive the Cyclones really need to win this although if no one else beats Baylor than it is really a race for second. Looks to be a tough one tonight. WVU started out by dropping two games but have won their last 8 straight. They have size and play defense. Not sure if WVU is allowing fans beyond family/friends. The attendance has only been listed as 100 or so per home game so this may be another of those empty gym game where we will hear coaches yelling and shoes squeaking. **

This is the 2nd game of 5 that we will play in 12 days so it is crunch time for the Big 12 race.

** Edit: Looks like this is there first game selling tickets again. Capped at 1000.

145861276_10164793609975445_3900888921090884090_n.jpg

Where: WVU Coliseum- WVU Coliseum
When: Wednesday, Feb 3 at 6 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Jamie Steyer
TV: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Talent: Nick Farrell, Meg Bulger

The Lead
Iowa State takes on No. 21 West Virginia in Morgantown on Wednesday at 6 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Wednesday's meeting is the first between the two squads on the year. WVU leads the all-time series 11-6, with both squads splitting the series the last two seasons. Iowa State is looking for its second road win of the season over a ranked opponent, having topped No. 6 BU in Waco.

Key Storylines

• Junior Ashley Joens is eighth in the nation in scoring, averaging 24.5 points a game. Against the Lady Bears, she moved into the Top-15 in school history in scoring (1,418 points). Joens was most recently named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 Watch List, honoring the nation's top player.
  • Joens is one of two players in the nation averaging over 24+ points and 8.5+ rebounds per game. She has four career 30-point, 15-rebound performances. All other former Cyclones combine for three all-time.
  • Iowa State women's basketball is ranked 29th in the NET rankings. Iowa State has played 17 games this season, which is among the top-20 in nation for games played. With three wins over the NET Top-50, Iowa State ranks tied for 10th in the nation. The Cyclones have also faced the 10th toughest schedule to date in the nation. Of teams ranked in the AP Top 25, the Cyclones rank third in strength of schedule.
  • Kylie Feuerbach claimed her first Big 12 Freshman of the week honor after tallying 15 points, three rebounds and three steals against Baylor. Feuerbach's weekly honor is the fifth Freshman of the Week honor for te Cyclones with Lexi Donarski and Kylie Feuerbach grabbing two apiece.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISC

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From WVUsports.com:

Gregg_Ellman_Esmery_Martinez_Yummy_Morris_TCU_WV_013021.JPG

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Riding a conference-best, eight-game win streak, the No. 21/24 West Virginia University women's basketball team welcomes Iowa State to Morgantown, on Wednesday, Feb. 3.

Opening tip against the Cyclones is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET, at the WVU Coliseum. Dan Zangrilli and Ayana Dunning will call the game for the Mountaineer Sports Network from Learfield IMG College. The game can be found on 100.9 WZST-FM as well as affiliates across the state, the TuneIn Radio App and WVUSports.com. Wednesday's contest also will be broadcast on Big 12 Now on ESPN+, with Nick Farrell, Meg Bulger and Amanda Mazey on the call. For more information on how to watch Wednesday's game, visit WVUSports.com/Big12Now.

Due to ongoing COVID-19 protocols, and for the overall safety of spectators at indoor events, attendance will be capped at 1,000 spectators. Priority will be given to families and guests of the players and coaching staffs, along with a limited number of WVU students and fans.

Fans are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance by visiting WVUGAME.com or calling 1-800-WVU GAME to avoid lines at the gate on game day. When purchasing online, tickets are $5 each. At the ticket window on game day, any remaining tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for youth and seniors. The discounted online pricing will be available until tip-off.

The Mountaineer Ticket Office, as well as credential pickup located at the Gold Gate, opens an hour before tip-off on game day. WVU students are admitted for free with a valid Student I.D. All tickets are reserved in blocks, ranging from one to six seats, and socially distanced. Fans will be able to utilize the "Pick Your Own Seat" map when selecting seats.

West Virginia (13-2, 7-2 Big 12) and Iowa State (11-6, 7-3 Big 12) meet on the basketball court for the 18th time on Wednesday. The Mountaineers lead the all-time series, 11-6, including a 6-2 record when playing inside the WVU Coliseum. The Cyclones won the last meeting between the two teams, a 61-58 victory at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa, on Feb. 29, 2020. WVU has won the last three meetings against ISU in Morgantown.

Last time out, the Mountaineers extended their win streak to eight games on Jan. 30, after defeating TCU at Schollmaier Arena in Fort Worth, Texas. Redshirt senior guard Kysre Gondrezick once again led the Mountaineer scoring attack by registering a career-high 30 points, becoming the first WVU player to score 30 or more points in a game since Teana Muldrow (33) on March 25, 2018, against St. John's. Sophomore forward Esmery Martinez also finished with a career-high 23 points, while senior center Blessing Ejiofor led WVU on the glass for the second consecutive game, with 11 rebounds.

Gondrezick was named the Big 12 Women's Basketball Player of the Week on Feb. 2, following her performance against the Horned Frogs. Last week, the redshirt senior guard averaged 27 points per game and led the Mountaineers to a pair of Big 12 road wins.

Iowa State is coming off an 85-77 loss to Baylor on Jan. 31. Prior to Sunday's loss, the Cyclones had won three of their last four games, including a 75-71 win over the Lady Bears on Jan. 16. ISU currently ranks No. 4 in the Big 12 standings.

Guard/forward Ashley Joens, the top scorer in the Big 12, leads Iowa State in scoring (24.5), rebounding (8.9) and steals (1.12) this season. Guard Emily Ryan is ISU's team leader in assists, at 5.94 per game, while forward/center Kristin Scott leads the Cyclones in blocks, at 1.5 per game.

Iowa State is led by coach Bill Fennelly, who is in his 26th season at the helm for the Cyclones. Fennelly owns a record of 534-279 during his time in Ames.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
On Jan. 9, our men's basketball team lost to Tech at home by 27 points.:mad: On the next day, the sisters won at Tech by exactly 27 points.:)

Yesterday, our men's team lost to WV at home by 4 points.:( Today, the sister could avenge the men's loss and win at WV by 4 points.;)

Good luck Twister Sisters! Beat the Mountaineers.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Anyone watching? Looking on ESPN app we need more than 3 people to score.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

dkdean

Mar 19, 2011
Texas
I miss when Donarski actually got to be involved in the offense.
She doesn’t seem to want to shoot any more. It’s drive the lane and turn it over all the time. I think we pray for fouls too much in those situations and they just don’t get called enough.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
She doesn’t seem to want to shoot any more. It’s drive the lane and turn it over all the time. I think we pray for fouls too much in those situations and they just don’t get called enough.
She’s too good of a shooter to not look for it anymore. Seems like she lost all of her confidence.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
It's anybodies game. That was a rather quick sneaky layup to end the half and pull to within one. I don't think WV thought they had time to do that. I've watched both of these teams a lot this year. WV doesn't seem to be playing as well as usual, and I expect them to settle in a little better in the 2nd. No reason why ISU can't do the same though. Anybodies game!!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well low scoring, and we're within one. Let's get them the 2nd half. 1 of 3 from the free throw line time to get that # shored up.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's anybodies game. That was a rather quick sneaky layup to end the half and pull to within one. I don't think WV thought they had time to do that. I've watched both of these teams a lot this year. WV doesn't seem to be playing as well as usual, and I expect them to settle in a little better in the 2nd. No reason why ISU can't do the same though. Anybodies game!!

Most of the 2nd quarter was a burn the game tape for both teams.