Washington hires Jedd Fisch

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Are you serious? The thread literally contains multiple screenshots/links to articles of national reporters listing Campbell as a candidate.

Also I just assume anyone who challenges reporting they don't like by asking for reporters anonymous sources is 70+.

Deboer parlayed a national title game run into the 36 best recruiting class in the country. Washington should do better than that and should have more talent than ISU, but it's not as overwhelming as you think.

Yeah and the coach who lost to Montana didn't even finish the season. I don't think that supports the point you're trying to make.

Not 70+ and how are the sources credible? Do they have track records of beng accurate?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Know this is about Campbell, but DeBoer seems like a weird fit at Bama. SoDak native who's spent his entire career in the Midwest and West Coast.

But, he's also an outstanding coach, so he'll probably do well.
He’s a weird fit but an easy sell as he was just in the championship game and the other top coaches decided to stay where they are.

That’s the main reason Campbell is a hard if not impossible sell right now (for a team like Washington) compared to 2020/2021. You can’t take a team that just played in a championship and then hire someone who has struggled the last couple seasons.

Especially because in order to compete at the level needed to get back to the playoffs you need to recruit at a high level which he hasn’t been able to do.

I wanted cmc for both my teams a couple years ago but right now he’s a much harder sell, still an excellent coach, but it is what it is

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Not 70+ and how are the sources credible? Do they have track records of beng accurate?
Thamel and Vannini are incredibly reliable reporters but in this instance they are not reporting. They are thinking out loud on twitter.

For all the people panicking, they literally tweeted it shortly after Deboer was announced. You think UW had a list ready and called them right away with it?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Curious to why people think it’s a weird fit? Is it his coaching trajectory? Where he coached? He’s not from the south?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I would think being top 5 all year and being in the playoffs at the time of signing day would have been helpful. And they lost one game last year, they weren't coming odd a bad year and had a ton of momentum.
They already had a couple 4 stars decommit. The year before they brought in 8 four stars and a solid transfer class on the back of a good season. Still good recruiting and use of the portal.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
He’s a weird fit but an easy sell as he was just in the championship game and the other top coaches decided to stay where they are.

That’s the main reason Campbell is a hard if not impossible sell right now (for a team like Washington) compared to 2020/2021. You can’t take a team that just played in a championship and then hire someone who has struggled the last couple seasons.

Especially because in order to compete at the level needed to get back to the playoffs you need to recruit at a high level which he hasn’t been able to do.

I wanted cmc for both my teams a couple years ago but right now he’s a much harder sell, still an excellent coach, but it is what it is
The big question mark with him is recruiting. Despite making it to the NCG, his class for next year is 30th. While a lot was settled before this year’s run, he either needs to find some great recruiters or hope the Bama name does it for him.

• Agree
Reactions: jdubs

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The big question mark with him is recruiting. Despite making it to the NCG, his class for next year is 30th. While a lot was settled before this year’s run, he either needs to find some great recruiters or hope the Bama name does it for him.
That doesn’t count the decomits of a couple 4 stars but yeah the level of recruiting is no where near bama level. That will pick up just from being bama but he also was only good at Washington for 2 years. Takes longer than that to build a recurring platform at a place like Washington. He would have finished mid 20’s this year which is good for them. Also shows a ton of coaching skill to take that level of talent and get to the championship game.

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Thamel and Vannini are incredibly reliable reporters but in this instance they are not reporting. They are thinking out loud on twitter.

For all the people panicking, they literally tweeted it shortly after Deboer was announced. You think UW had a list ready and called them right away with it?
Yes, I do think any competent AD has a list of potential replacements ready to go at all times. No, I don't think Dannen called Thamel but Thamel likely reached out to his sources at UW and in the agent field.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yes, I do think any competent AD has a list of potential replacements ready to go at all times. No, I don't think Dannen called Thamel but Thamel likely reached out to his sources at UW and in the agent field.
So how did CMC end up on the list considering he does not have an agent?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I don't take the list that Thamel had as a real list. It's a list of logical candidates. Campbell is a logical candidate especially considering they wanted him last time.

Is Washington interested this time? Probably. Is Campbell interested this time? I hope not.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Curious to why people think it’s a weird fit? Is it his coaching trajectory? Where he coached? He’s not from the south?

Alabama was in an almost impossible position. This knocks their “rockstar/nfl of the NCAA” mystique down a peg. But there is literally no one they could get to match what Saban has made that program. It’s such a machine that anyone would have been a “weird fit”.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
It's been loosely reported Washington offered him the job before DeBoer got hired (previous AD though). Wouldn't shock me if a Washington staffer told Thamel "yeah, we'll look at him again".

Campbell not having an agent is the most over-cited thing every year. Whether it's his "accountant" who does his contract or some other intermediary, schools can and do get ahold of him if interested.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I’m lost as to what we are even going back and forth about. My original post was to another guy questioning the credibility of Thamel and Vannini.

My two mains points to him were: yes they are highly credible/respected and no that’s not a real list. That’s them throwing some names out there 20 min after Deboer was announced as leaving.

Now today after some time they come and say “Washington will be targeting these coaches” and CMC is on that list then yes it’s time watch what is going on.

For record, I don’t think Coach Campbell will be a serious candidate this time around but I have been wrong before.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It's been loosely reported Washington offered him the job before DeBoer got hired (previous AD though). Wouldn't shock me if a Washington staffer told Thamel "yeah, we'll look at him again".

Campbell not having an agent is the most over-cited thing every year. Whether it's his "accountant" who does his contract or some other intermediary, schools can and do get ahold of him if interested.
I say this respectfully because I like CMC but according to this board he has been “linked” to every single NFL and college opening in history, I heard the packers wanted him and he said no so they got Vince Lombardi

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
CMC has a short list

I’ve already mentioned this every coaching cycle. And those aren’t available and now they seem less attainable.

Most people won’t agree with his choice and everyone thinks “he’s missed the boat”

But that is not what it’s about.

He sees these types of openings as lateral moves, when you consider all involved. It has more to do than just football.

He’s not leaving for Washington.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I say this respectfully because I like CMC but according to this board he has been “linked” to every single NFL and college opening in history, I heard the packers wanted him and he said no so they got Vince Lombardi

I say this respectfully, but I find it weird that a Michigan State and Michigan fan always finds himself offering his opinions on coaching threads on an Iowa State board ;)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
65+? Yeah, I would say Pete Thamel has a pretty good track record lol.

Nope, well below that.

Never heard of him. Can you cite an example of him being accurate with this kind of thing? I don't really care if CMC goes fwiw; hyperbolic twitter takes for clicks are just kind of boring at this point.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Consistent success at a spot like ISU likely helps...however he's had some blunders and his teams often look disorganized.

Status
Not open for further replies.