Volleyball Media Day

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Volleyball Media Day and other Misc Preseason Stuff

From the team Facebook

Another successful Iowa State volleyball media day is in the books! Be on the look out over the next couple of days for video, photos and more!

Go Cyclones!

11885210_10153600486468293_3332129967963247000_n.jpg

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Full team.

11882819_10153600841888293_2600262391234513924_o.jpg

No.
Name
Pos.
Ht.
Yr.
Hometown (Prev School)
1Hannah BaileyRS6-3Fr.Cameron, Wis. (Cameron)
2Mackenzie BigbeeRS6-1Sr.Williamsburg, Iowa (Williamsburg)
3Morgan KuhrtOH6-1RJr.Waverly, Iowa (Waverly-Shell Rock)
4Abby PhillipsDS/L5-5Fr.Central City, Iowa (Marion)
5Natalie VondrakOH6-1RJr.Sioux City, Iowa (Bishop Heelan)
6Alexis ConawayOH/MB6-0So.Orange City, Iowa (MOC-Floyd Valley)
7Caitlin NolanDS/L5-8Sr.Southlake, Texas (Carroll)
8Monique HarrisS/DS5-9So.Clinton, Iowa (Clinton)
9Samara West MB6-4RSo.Omaha, Neb. (Omaha North)
10Grace LazardMB6-2Fr.London, England (LeAF Academy)
11Ciara Capezio OH6-3Jr.Williams Bay, Wis. (Burlington)
12Tory Knuth MB6-3RSr.Johnston, Iowa (Johnston)
13Branen BertaDS/L5-7So.Aurora, Colo. (Cherokee Trail)
14Jess SchabenOH6-2Fr.Defiance, Iowa (Harlan)
15Hali HillegasDS/L5-6Fr.Charles City, Iowa (Charles City)
16Remi BowmanS6-0Fr.Greenville, Ind. (Floyd Central)
17Suzanne HornerS5-10Jr.State College, Pa. (Mississippi State) (State College Area)

Last edited:

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
I went to the open practice. Jess Schaben and Grace Lazard impressed me the most for the freshman. Remi looked good also.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
I believe she sprained her ankle; the facebook page said it isn't serious and she would be ready next week. I also went to the scrimmage. As of right now, I see Schaben and Capezio on OH, Conoway(if healthy) and Lazard at MB, Bigbee and Kuhrt at RS, and Horner and Harris(maybe Remi) at S; running a 6-2. Schaben looked very good, played all the way around and had some stellar pipe attacks from the back row. Looking forward to the season!

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I think coach doesn't allow the scrimmage to air on Cyclones.tv, juts because she doesn't want opposing teams using it for scouting purposes. I'm not sure what that says?

The highlight video had freshmen all over in it. I think they'll be hard to keep out of the line-up, especially Grace and Schaben early. Lots of talent there.

Is it me, or is Bailey really 6'3"? It seems to be a push.

Coach Joe is slowing down a little, or the girls are getting better. It may be both.

Last edited:

Brickhouse

Jul 14, 2015
Chicago burbs
agree on freshman seeing playing time ...very exciting........little surprised that grace would start in front of west???? shaben looks like the real deal.....like the back row attack in the video....that would add a nice option to the offense......bowman is the real wild card, if they run a 6-2 they could redshirt her......if she can block at a big 12 level she could grab the starting spot and run the 5-1 right out of the gate...........will be fun to watch unfold

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It seems like both a plus and minus to have so many options. Well, mostly a plus, and you count on the best options to step up.

I'm reminded of the year that Hockaday got injured and Carly Jensen got her chance, and just ran away with it to the All America level. I don't think we've had anyone since Carly unexpectedly (or expectedly) bolt out front and impact the team like she did.

Do the great teams have their lineups figured out by the start of season?

How long will it take to see who is going to impact this team in a Carly Jensen type of way?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It seems like both a plus and minus to have so many options. Well, mostly a plus, and you count on the best options to step up.

I'm reminded of the year that Hockaday got injured and Carly Jensen got her chance, and just ran away with it to the All America level. I don't think we've had anyone since Carly unexpectedly (or expectedly) bolt out front and impact the team like she did.

Do the great teams have their lineups figured out by the start of season?

How long will it take to see who is going to impact this team in a Carly Jensen type of way?

Soon. We have three double-headers with accompanying three matches in two days in early non-conference so lots of opportunity to play.

We play A&M and than Iowa on the 11th at IC. It's Iowa's Volleyball Super Bowl cause they aren't going to be beating many in the big 10.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
agree on freshman seeing playing time ...very exciting........little surprised that grace would start in front of west???? shaben looks like the real deal.....like the back row attack in the video....that would add a nice option to the offense......bowman is the real wild card, if they run a 6-2 they could redshirt her......if she can block at a big 12 level she could grab the starting spot and run the 5-1 right out of the gate...........will be fun to watch unfold

Grace may not start, but will be used, is what I meant. She seemed to have a pretty decent serve, too.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Should be undefeated going into that big match Sept. 19 at Hilton...can't wait.

Man, I hope so. The thing with this team last year, was starting slow. We fell behind in so many matches early. These gals need to buy into jumping on teams and dictating play. Dayton will be a great test. To have that game out of the chute, is tough. I hope we have a great crowd and are ready. Teams want to come in and beat us, our success warrants that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Another picture from their daily Facebook stuff.

Joe Lynch getting stuffed by Tory Knuth. This year's C&G Scrimmage wasn't Joe's best, but he will bounce back in 2016!

attachment.php

Attachments

• joe stuffed.jpg
    joe stuffed.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 194