Visiting Gettysburg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you make it far enough South, there's an awesome museum and tour at Manassas (Bull Run).
I had this one scoped out a little bit I think we are gonna hit the Antietam Battlefield instead (deadliest single day in the war).

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hire a ranger and get a guided driven tour and then go explore more on your own. It would be a lot of walking. Picketts Buffett for lunch is legit though.
That restaurant is noted. I plan to hit that for lunch that day. Will report back. Better be legit BC or I’m sending you a bill for the meal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That restaurant is noted. I plan to hit that for lunch that day. Will report back. Better be legit BC or I’m sending you a bill for the meal.
Been there twice. Then again it was after being on this for 24 hours straight.

IMG_0892.jpeg
Edit: photo taken at 9/11 crash site.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I had this one scoped out a little bit I think we are gonna hit the Antietam Battlefield instead (deadliest single day in the war).
Wherever you go, and Antietam is a great choice, take it all in.

You're just struck by how open it is. Those guys knew exactly what was going to happen to them. It's a weird feeling being in the space.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Been there twice. Then again it was after being on this for 24 hours straight.

View attachment 124769
Edit: photo taken at 9/11 crash site.

Coincidentally, I last visited Gettysburg on a very historical day. October 24, 2009. I spent most of the driving tour listening to nebraska turning the ball over to ISU on XM radio than I did any of the guided tour audio.

I apologize for not having anything of value to contribute to the thread.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Headed to Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields in a couple weeks. Any tips or advice would be welcomed.
Definitely going this summer on our Vaca so watching this thread!

People here are full of great info!

Need more time and money cuz I want to do too much. LOL

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Definitely take a guided tour. We did a ghost tour and also went on our own to Little Round Top and a couple other places. I have a special place in my heart for Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain.

There was a single civilian killed at Gettysburg, Jennie Wade. Some of her relatives live in Western Iowa and I know them. There's always an Iowa connection!!!
I read about her. Killed, I think on day 3 of the battle, while making bread for the troops. She has one of the most notable gravesites there.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The museum and panorama thing stand out to me as memories. We did a self guided audio tour but I would love to have a guided personal tour, able to ask questions etc.

mcharlet

Nov 30, 2020
Headed to Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields in a couple weeks. Any tips or advice would be welcomed.
Take a self guided tour and just drink it in. Think about the the individuals on each side and what they fought for and their committal to the ultimate sacrifice, and that 20k or so endured that sacrifice.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Once you get a bit of history on the battles, I'd recommend checking both sites on Google Maps. The satellite overview, and the street views are both very helpful.

Here's Gettyburg:

Do this, and you'll be much more prepared when you go.