VEISHEA West 2014 (Colorado) - Arapahoe Basin Ski Area

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
To anyone in the Colorado area, or if you would like a fun April vacation, come to the 4th Annual VEISHEA West, at Arapahoe Basin Ski Area. We will have two spots on the "beach", food and drink, tailgating, and a ton of fun. Saturday, April 12.

Please register here, so we know how many burgers to grill :)
http://cyspace.isualum.org/veishea_west

Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1376291785965682/

I rented a place at Keystone for the night, it's only a few miles down the road and plan to ski Keystone on Sunday. They've been getting great snow lately, A-Basin got another 8" yesterday, and has had over 2 feet in the last week. Great spring skiing right now (was at Keystone on Tuesday). Let me know if you have any questions!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Damn, I wish I lived in Colorado.
If I could find a career someplace in the high country, I'd be in Heaven.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I figured Veisha in Colorado was on 4/20

Funny you say that. Actually, last year VEISHEA was on 4/20. My wife reserves the spots on the beach, called ABasin to reserve the third Saturday in April. Lady on the phone: (laughing) "You do realize that this is 4/20, right? The stoners had it reserved before noon, the day reservations opened up."

We had it on Sunday 4/21, figured it was more "family friendly". Having it on a Sunday definitely limited our attendance, but still had a good turnout.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Damn, I wish I lived in Colorado.
If I could find a career someplace in the high country, I'd be in Heaven.

What do you do? It's worth finding a career that fits, believe me.

Grew up in Nebraska and went to ISU for two degrees, been in Colorado for six years. Great places to be from​, but I'll never go back.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Wouldn't miss it. The last 3 years have been great!

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Be sure to tell all your friends! We're hoping for a record turnout this year, between the success of the basketball team, great snow, and (hopefully) good weather.

I was skiing on Saturday at BC and it was a great day. VEISHEA WEST will be great! vwest.jpg

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Funny you say that. Actually, last year VEISHEA was on 4/20. My wife reserves the spots on the beach, called ABasin to reserve the third Saturday in April. Lady on the phone: (laughing) "You do realize that this is 4/20, right? The stoners had it reserved before noon, the day reservations opened up."

We had it on Sunday 4/21, figured it was more "family friendly". Having it on a Sunday definitely limited our attendance, but still had a good turnout.

And everyone thinks that pot makes you lazy.....

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
What do you do? It's worth finding a career that fits, believe me.

Grew up in Nebraska and went to ISU for two degrees, been in Colorado for six years. Great places to be from​, but I'll never go back.

I'm a sports trainer. I have a pretty good job in Chicago now, but would relocate if I could find something similar or better. Sports training is a pretty tough job to come by because there aren't many of them. And I'm not a huge fan of standard personal training as working with athletes is more fun.

And definitely nothing much in the Mtns like that. Denver and Colorado Springs would have something similar, but I would love to actually live in Summit County or similar. I was searching for jobs earlier this year and saw a good UPS job open up in Breckenridge... I should have applied for that. I don't even need to work as a trainer, I just want a good job up there.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
FYI, although VEISHEA Ames has been cancelled, VEISHEA West lives on!!! We will still be having the celebration at Arapahoe Basin. For those of you in Iowa, that gives you two days to get out here since your plans just changed!

drose1

Apr 2, 2010
Chicago
So I know it's to late to register but are you guys going to have a grill and stuff? We plan on bringing our own food and beverages to. Decided to go for it last minute and might have a few none Iowa state people coming if that's cool. They were cheering for us all through the tourney though!

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
So I know it's to late to register but are you guys going to have a grill and stuff? We plan on bringing our own food and beverages to. Decided to go for it last minute and might have a few none Iowa state people coming if that's cool. They were cheering for us all through the tourney though!

Yes, we will have a grill and other food. My wife picked up extra brats and burgers last night, so food should be covered for the most part, unless you're really set on grilling something special. Still BYOB.

Bring anybody and everybody! Just be sure everyone signs up when they get there, our budget from ISUAA is largely decided by our attendance, so we need proof of our numbers for the day. Hope to see you there, look for the flag!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So, this is an official ISUAA-sanctioned event? Are there others around the country?

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
if VEISHEA in Ames is cancelled this may be the way to go. Alumni hosting mini Veishea events in other states.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
So, this is an official ISUAA-sanctioned event? Are there others around the country?

Yes, link was on first post but here it is again: https://securelb.imodules.com/s/565/index.aspx?sid=565&gid=1&pgid=1744&cid=2399&post_id=0

I also know there is a VEISHEA East, in Washington DC, I believe it's a BBQ.

if VEISHEA in Ames is cancelled this may be the way to go. Alumni hosting mini Veishea events in other states.

It's really not that hard to do - just contact the ISUAA and let them know about the event, and they will blast all ISUAA members in the area with details. We do this all the time for gamewatches. For the UCONN basketball game, we had around 50 people in Fort Collins alone, Denver has huge gamewatches.

Getting funding support from ISUAA is a different thing, because you have to make sure you have numbers. My wife started VEISHEA West four years ago since we couldn't make it back to Ames, and with the good weather tomorrow we're expecting anywhere between 75 and 100 people. Things can grow quickly if word gets around.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Also a reminder to anyone planning on going, there is a $5 charge for non-ISUAA members to cover costs. ISUAA members indirectly contribute through their dues, obviously. Pretty cheap entertainment I can assure you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron