Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Well that sounds less than ideal for Big12, I'm sure NBC and CBS are paying handsomely for that content. Are they buying it from FOX? This is confusing.
With anything until we know the details it is hard to say if it is good or bad for the Big12.
ESPN getting locked out of the Big10 means the have a lot of money earmarked for that now available. They could save the PAC 12? Possibly.
Could they go all in on paying the Big 12 now? Tell the corner 4 to join?

I know a lot of us are not huge fans of ESPN but I’d argue if the money is equal for all network. Having the Big12 on the ABC/ESPN platform would be preferable to NBC/CBS/streamer for ease of viewing and not signing up for multiple services.
I remember the report a few weeks ago saying Fox and ESPN were looking at the Big 12 next if true this lines up.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Hmmmm, something sounds familiar about San Diego State ..

There are a lot of people on this thread that are convinced that San Diego State is a horrible add. It could be, but both CW and Wilner are plugged in way more than most of us and both see the value there.
But...but...2speedy1 told us all the SDSU would be a horrible addition to the Big 12. Surely he must know more than Chris Williams and Jon Wilner, right?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Stew is a moron but he is right here. Who in the right mind thinks this is good for College Football?

Yeah, didn’t quite hit me until you mentioned this. The lack of variability will probably become stale after a while.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
With inventory that includes Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, USC and UCLA, I’m sure they can come up with three compelling games per week.
Yep and even if they aren't great match-ups per se most of those schools have huge alumni/fan bases that brings eyeballs to the tv sets and that's what the networks care about.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I lol’d at that tweet. The constant SEC fangirling on ESPN is already annoying. It’s about to become insufferable.
I agree it does get to be too much but when you have won 12 titles since 2006 and produced a TON more NFL Draft Picks than everyone else the last 15 years or so then you are going to get talked about often.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I lol’d at that tweet. The constant SEC fangirling on ESPN is already annoying. It’s about to become insufferable.
At this rate, they might as well just rollover the SEC Network Gameday show to be the main Gameday.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Don’t count out CBS either. We are the only conference that can easily offer games both before and after their 3:30 Big Ten slot.
Very true. I don't think it'd be exclusively ESPN just tier 1.
Not that it matter too much but would think ESPN and CBS would also like the Basketball product that the B12 can boast. Those two networks have always promoted basketball better than the other networks.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Very true. I don't think it'd be exclusively ESPN just tier 1.
Not that it matter too much but would think ESPN and CBS would also like the Basketball product that the B12 can boast. Those two networks have always promoted basketball better than the other networks.

Sorry, I deleted my comment prior to your post after realizing that there probably isn’t quite enough time for a lead in to a 2:30 kick. The second game in a double header could be fun though.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
@2speedy1

So, is it too early for the nuke option if ESPN is the only player in town? 8-10 Big 12 schools to ACC. 6 of R8 is needed for dissolution if I recall. I think those 6 benefit from all going to one conference and I'd argue 10 is better than 6. The Big 12 may not have the leverage for that now.

Because the PAC is about to become very weak imo. Which at first glance is good for Big 12. But with ESPN the only real offtake, they could just move 4 corners to ACC in order to setup killing the Big 12, and protecting the ACC long position. Then throw an offer to WVU, which would jump, and the other R8 would race to the door, as ESPN is not offering ***** for a Big 11 that is holding up OUT and WVU.

I doubt CBS and NBC are going to have multiple T1, and I don't see FOX being interested in making a Big 16.

With three OTA T1 locked in, it is overpaying if counting like programs like Iowa, MN, etc. The BIG is about to get bigger, at least 20 imo. Stanford, ND? 3 PAC plus ND? Eventually ACC (within 5 years). There are rumors FOX wants to use the BIG and Big East to eventually grab the CBB postseason, in which case even basketball schools are in play.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If ESPN got the SEC with 16 teams for 300M per year, that sounds like Peanuts to me, they must not get a lot for that. Must only be Tier 1, and still a deal. That's less than 19M per.

They are talking in the range of 300M per year for the Pac right now.

55M when the last deals were done was a steal but was still within the margin of the others for when it was.
They got 14 teams for that price, no clue if adding UT and OU requires them to buck up more money or not.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
KU has a B1G offer? If so why didn’t they say ‘YES! Thank God YES!!!’ immediately?

I could see them having a conditional offer, yes- the BIG leading them on enough to be a right of first refusal type of situation. Enough that KU would wait for those conditions, which would likely mean ND, which can cover more than one school imo. Not one of the most likely, but with the rumors of FOX wanting to use the Big East and BIG to monetize the CBB postseason, I don't think it can be ruled out.

Another angle on the BIG having a right of first refusal, is ESPN had an opportunity to greatly increase Big 12 dissolution chances if moving KU to SEC or even ACC after the "leak" last summer. The savings from doing that likely subsidizing much of KU being out of the money. And with ESPN having Kentucky and knowingly wanting UNC, there are insiders that speculate that since KU plus Duke gives SEC hegemony over both sports, making ESPN monetization of both postseasons much easier. KU joining MU, OU, UT, A&M etc in the SEC makes a lot of sense, particularly if it lowers the cost of OUT and other benefits to ESPN.

The BIG and SEC are kingmakers now, particularly the SEC. This is more like NFL adding franchises than it is what a school is worth in a different era outside the P2

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Stew is a moron but he is right here. Who in the right mind thinks this is good for College Football?

So what does NBC do with Notre Dame? Lock them in at 2:30 every week to counter CBS? They're really going to shut Notre Dame out of prime time?

Unless...

Help Support Us

Become a patron