Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa State has zero percent chance at the SEC and a tenth of a percent at the B1G.
The idea that the SEC would take ISU is laughable.

Pass the blunt.
After this last move. We aren't going to the BIG10. No way in hell they take us. Best case right now is to poach some good PAC schools and be solidly in 3rd.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Aren’t we already 2 MM above that projection for the big XII?
And the PAC only paid 19.8M this year, not close to projection. I realize this includes covid numbers but so did everyone elses. Just shows everyone else is better at managing things, not to mention we all know that covid is an easy excuse. How do we know it wouldnt have been way low anyway, might have only been in the low 20s even if they played a few more games. They have some serious management issues. I would guess they are seeing terrible numbers from their projected contract.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Iowa State has zero percent chance at the SEC and a tenth of a percent at the B1G.
The idea that the SEC would take ISU is laughable.

Pass the blunt.
Who would the SEC add if the ACC isn't an option? I think they will stand at 16 teams until the ACC's GOR expires, but if they were to expand immediately to 20 teams, ISU would certainly be a top contender.

Last edited:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I don't think any decision has been made in realignment, pretty much ever but at least in the modern era, without money as the primary factor. Especially by the B1G. So if Cal and Stanford cannot pay their way (which they cannot), they aren't B1G worthy. And it sounds as though Washington is borderline as best on the money front.

If I had to predict:
Notre Dame turns down the B1G knowing that they will have a spot when the ACC gets cracked open. There's no rush right now.

The B1G takes Oregon and Washington and stops at 18 for now.

The Big 12 takes six of the remaining Pac-12 schools - Stanford, Cal, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State. Washington State and Oregon State go G5. Big 12 is also at 18.

The SEC waits to respond for when it can crack the ACC open, since there's no one on the table who adds to its cash either. They sit at 16.

Going further (totally guessing):
Whenever the ACC does get cracked open, the B1G adds Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, and Duke.

The SEC adds Florida State, Clemson, NC State, and Virginia Tech. I'll guess that they also add Miami and one more (which could be from the Big 12 by this point), but I could definitely see them only adding one Florida school.

The Big 12 adds Pitt, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse. Wake Forest and Boston College get G5 demotions.

All three conferences would have about 22 schools at this point. This sure feels like the end game of this stage to me. The next stage is whenever the Haves of the B1G and SEC decide to separate from the Have Nots within their own conferences.
Sounds plausible to me.

I think SEC + B1G separate into their own NFL-lite league with a playoff and championship. Sort of like the AFC/NFC is on CBS/FOX, I think ESPN will have most of the SEC content and FOX will have B1G.

Then I would guess Big 12 will get a streaming partner like Amazon/Apple and CBS. (With marquee games of the week being on national TV via CBS and most of the other games on the streaming service.)

We'll see what happens though.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'll just throw this out there. Stormin, you get the quote, but it could be anybody.

What would you call the new B12?
Conference USA.....LOL J/K

Big Packin....

Big Pacific

Central Pacific

Coast to Coast

BIG

Great America

Big Super Conference.....

Big Pacific Survivors League of America

North South East West Conference

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Who would the SEC add if the ACC isn't an option? I think they will stand at 16 teams until the ACC's GOR expires, but if they were to expand immediately to 20 teams, ISU would certainly be a top contender.
Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon, and maybe Oklahoma St

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I can't see BiG adding USC/UCLA without at least one other couplet from Pac-12.

So, without drilling super-deep, most likely 4 prefs, roughly this order (what I'd suggest as commissioner and/or media mogul, not what I'd want personally):

UO-UW-Stanford-Cal
Two of Pac-12 + UNC/Duke
Two of Pac-12 + 2 among UNC/KU/Duke/Virginia
Two of Pac-12 + Notre Dame and one of UNC-Virginia-KU-Duke

Clemson will hold out for SEC
Virginia Tech stays put or waits for SEC
Iowa State won't get BiG invite

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
ISU isn't a ******* top contender for the SEC.

You're going to make that message board takes twitter account.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
My main point is Iowa by every measure is ahead of approximately half of the B10 teams. Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue and Indiana would most certainly be the first ones cut out. If they are going to move to one super conference of say 24 teams, I’d then be worried. I don’t think they’d ever pare it down that far because Goliath still needs plenty of David’s.
I dont think it is strictly about the schools revenue.....a lot of people use this as a measuring stick, but there is a lot more into it. Dont get me wrong I dont think Iowa is last in the Big 10 if push came to shove, but I dont think they would be a lock to make the cut depending on how many we are talking either.

Its how much revenue you generate for the conference/media partner, not how much you generate for yourself. What they use for those metrics Include a lot of data, some of which I am sure we dont know, some things seem to change in level of importance over time.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Some interesting (maybe BS) stuff from a guy who appears to be plugged in with the B1G. The whole thread here is interesting.

This would suggest that those are the four top TV brands remaining in the Pac-12. If Notre Dame goes B1G, the idea is apparently that Oregon will go with them; if not, there is a chance that Oregon and Washington both get in.

But as relevant to the B12, both of those schools plus Utah and ASU would be good additions to the Big 12 from FOX’s perspective.

Jon Wilner had some skepticism earlier that might have been more about Arizona and Colorado. If the B1G takes Oregon and ND, we should obviously take Washington, Utah, and ASU, but I think it would be an interesting question whether we take 1 or 3 of Arizona, Colorado, Cal, and Stanford after that. Personally I think it would be 3, we’d go to 18, and one of the Bay Area schools would be left out. But it would be funny to exclude Colorado.

I found that guy on Twitter too. Seemed like he might be hinting at a Notre Dame and Oregon announcement even tonight, until that series of tweets a couple hours ago.

We're 36 hours into this and I'm already ready to be done.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I found that guy on Twitter too. Seemed like he might be hinting at a Notre Dame and Oregon announcement even tonight, until that series of tweets a couple hours ago.

As much as I hate it and how it would result in B1G gloating, Notre Dame and Oregon going to the B1G and that league stopping at 18 is probably the best case scenario for the Big 12. We would get to add whoever we wanted from the nine remnants of the Pac-12. There are some very good programs in there including Washington who has played in the CFP. We would undoubtedly be in a position to clean up the ACC after the B1G/SEC tore it up and we'd be secure in the third superconference.

Rutgers-USC and Washington-UCF would both be conference games. That makes no sense.

Reactions: Trice

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
As much as I hate it and how it would result in B1G gloating, Notre Dame and Oregon going to the B1G and that league stopping at 18 is probably the best case scenario for the Big 12. We would get to add whoever we wanted from the nine remnants of the Pac-12. There are some very good programs in there including Washington who has played in the CFP. We would undoubtedly be in a position to clean up the ACC after the B1G/SEC tore it up and we'd be secure in the third superconference.

Rutgers-USC and Washington-UCF would both be conference games. That makes no sense.

Honestly, if I'm the B1G and I can lock up Notre Dame, I might take Stanford over Oregon. I realize Stanford is a virtual non-entity athletically, but in every other way (including a relationship with ND) they bring so much to the table. That massive media market, Silicon Valley, the prestige of an Ivy-quality university, excellent non-revenue sports...seems too much to ignore.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
If this rumor is true, Washington and Oregon to the Big 10 is just a matter of time, which means Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado all see the writing on the wall - and Stanford and Cal either are also going to the Big 10 or nobody wants to deal with their insanity anymore.
No way we don’t take Stanford if we’re able

Reactions: Kinch

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

A ND and Oregon to the BIG10 would be great then give me Washington, Utah, and the Arizona schools. I get the Colorado love as a great trip for ISU fans but they honestly do nothing for me from a competitive or fanbase standpoint

Reactions: heitclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron