Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Agreed on all points. I think Fox and Warren have been pushing the “Who’s the shadiest?” lately though. Warren has been brilliant in doing what’s best for the BIG but in doing so that dude, at Fox’s orders more than likely, has really back stabbed and caused some major issues.

I know not everyone is a Pat Forde fan (he’s a dweeb but I don’t mind him) but he and Dan Wetzel’s College Football Inquirer podcast is quite good in theorizing and putting pieces together on all of this. They don’t take themselves seriously and are straight shooters with no real agenda most of the time.

Imo, this is all FOX and Shanks, who started slashing costs the past year.

From what I’ve heard, Warren and the BIG had to kind of be hit on the face by Fox and USC before they even caught on at all to where this is going. Hence the deal that was nearly done if listening to BIG in early May got so delayed. As well as uncertainty on follow-up moves, past the obvious one of ND. Maybe they now do have a more detail strategic road map, but it likely still is basically Fox’s blueprint. Unlike the SEC that’s had plans on monopolizing the south for nearly 30+ years.

The one thing Warren/BIG did that helps is pushing out ESPN in favor of tying up all OTA. Which means a third super conference outside the 2 leading networks, something that apple or Amazon could actually use to get a foothold, is dead. From what’s been said, that wasn’t why the BIG preferred OTA, but the result is the same. Any 3rd conference will be an ESPN or FOX controlled conference conference now imo. I don’t see enough schools willing to aggregate for a Apple or Amazon paycheck

I’m curious to timing of next moves. If you’re looking to expand the P2 for the macro benefits, the cost of doing so will unlikely get cheaper. The schools left out stand to get more out of the money due brand decay in P2 era.

But that’s fundamentally what is wanted, so not many more are actually wanted. And the marginalization of the leftovers is heighten and expedited if the remaining conferences are paid not to consolidate. So if Oregon, UW, Utah want to ride out waiting for a BIG invite as a rump conference, it’s at their own peril

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
But I'm guessing ESPN won't pay much, they will low ball the Big 12. the fact they tried to parlay the remaining big 12 schools in with the AAC for 10 mil a year says what they think of our value. Their strategy was to get the brand names together and pay a premium thus devaluing the remaining which would ultimately lead to savings for them. At least that was their mindset and strategy, hopefully that changed. I just do not trust ESPN

It says as much as what ESPN thought our alternatives were than our value. With Fox not bidding, if ESPN is consistent, they’ll offer 4-6 PAC schools money to leave, then nothing for the rest

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The other intriguing part to me is there are clearly sides to this is and Bowlsby is the one who worked with Sankey on the new CFP model and were in agreement, but it was the Big Ten and that false alliance that killed it. It’s business so doubt this is the case but I wonder with that and Bowlsby’s threat against ESPN if a sort of olive branch is coming again from ESPN (Longhorn Network last time), especially for maybe getting OU and Texas out a year early in exchange and if Sankey will give any leverage toward backing the Big 12 a bit with ESPN due to the relationship he and Bowlsby had in regards to Bowlsby agreeing with Sankey’s plan on the expanded CFP.

Because it’s definitely ESPN/SEC v. Fox/Big Ten. Doubtful but crazier crap has happened.

And the fact the ACC bit the hand that feeds them for next 14 years. PAC relented, so it was BIG and ACC against it. BIG clearly views ESPN as pro SEC and adversely, maybe more than FOX does.

But the ACC? ESPN should think twice about building that conference as 3rd if they’re going to align with BIG/Fox

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The other intriguing part to me is there are clearly sides to this is and Bowlsby is the one who worked with Sankey on the new CFP model and were in agreement, but it was the Big Ten and that false alliance that killed it. It’s business so doubt this is the case but I wonder with that and Bowlsby’s threat against ESPN if a sort of olive branch is coming again from ESPN (Longhorn Network last time), especially for maybe getting OU and Texas out a year early in exchange and if Sankey will give any leverage toward backing the Big 12 a bit with ESPN due to the relationship he and Bowlsby had in regards to Bowlsby agreeing with Sankey’s plan on the expanded CFP.

Because it’s definitely ESPN/SEC v. Fox/Big Ten. Doubtful but crazier crap has happened.
Sankey is a snake. He doesn’t care what happens to Bob unless it helps him.

Reactions: clonehome

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And the fact the ACC bit the hand that feeds them for next 14 years. PAC relented, so it was BIG and ACC against it. BIG clearly views ESPN as pro SEC and adversely, maybe more than FOX does.

But the ACC? ESPN should think twice about building that conference as 3rd if they’re going to align with BIG/Fox
Hand that fed the ACC? that is truly dumb. It’s the hand that’s raping them with the contract.

Reactions: agentbear

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Its all about having competition in the bidding.
You can sell a product worth $100 to someone, but if only one guy wants it and he knows it, he is only gonna give you 10$.

I really hope CBS rides in to bid for the big12, i think it makes more sense for them than pac12. CBS vs ESPN would drive up the money and prevent getting lowballed.

At the same time, i hope ESPN does lowball the pac12, as that would push a couple of those teams to the big12 in all likelyhood.
I wonder what stipulations were conceded by FOX when CBS and NBC spent 350m each for one game a week? Can they air other B1G games at the same time?

B1G will have 8 games a week, 7 on bye weeks, to broadcast. I would assume B1GNet will still have a week night game (1). FOX Big Noon (2). CBS (3). NBC (4). FS1 two Sat games (5 and 6). B1GN two Sat games (7 and 8).

FOX might still need content to fill afternoon and maybe primetime games, and FS1 1-3 more games each Sat. It really seems they are not interested in PAC, will they bid on Big12? or fill with G5 or non-CFB content?

If Big12 is last to eat and FOX still needs the content, I'll be bullish on the Big12's position.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hand that fed the ACC? that is truly dumb. It’s the hand that’s raping them with the contract.

You’re not familiar with the expression?

If is ESPN is not feeding them as much as much as they liked, ******* them is not likely to help.

Now the rape should actually occur- with the top ACC schools going to SEC

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think it’s interesting we have t heard of any offers to the PAC yet now that it’s in the open period. I figured if anyone was interested they would have had an offer ready to give.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I thought I heard they extended the exclusive rights window, ESPN/FOX the latter not interested.
There was an article saying they could have, but it’s never been confirmed. And there’s no reason they would have. When you can only negotiate with two people, one doesn’t want to negotiate and the other lowballs you… why would you say sorry to everyone else we want to continue doing nothing.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I think it’s interesting we have t heard of any offers to the PAC yet now that it’s in the open period. I figured if anyone was interested they would have had an offer ready to give.
None of the media partners are going to be eager to finalize anything until they get assurances that Oregon and Washington will be around.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
There was an article saying they could have, but it’s never been confirmed. And there’s no reason they would have. When you can only negotiate with two people, one doesn’t want to negotiate and the other lowballs you… why would you say sorry to everyone else we want to continue doing nothing.

A delay tactic by PAC HQ is one reason- fairly easy sell to pac schools that they needed to give give espn and others more time.

They have little to lose. The offer they currently have isn’t good enough. If nothing else, it gives time for espn to contemplate what they do without big 10. Including dissolution of Big 12.

I think/hope that’s not it, but if Fox is out, all pac is risking is an Apple or Amazon bid, which is not likely to keep schools.

and PAC schools won’t commit until Big 10 is completely closed off, and maybe not then.

Last edited:

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
A delay tactic by PAC HQ is one reason- fairly easy sell to pac schools that they needed to give give espn and others more time.

They have little to lose. The offer they currently have isn’t good enough. If nothing else, it gives time for espn to contemplate what they do without PAC. Including dissolution of Big 12.

I think/hope that’s not it, but if Fox is out, all pac is risking is an Apple or Amazon bid, which is not likely to keep schools.

and PAC schools won’t commit until Big 10 is completely closed off, and maybe not then.
I think you're exactly right, they're just stalling to give themselves time to find more partners.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I wonder what stipulations were conceded by FOX when CBS and NBC spent 350m each for one game a week? Can they air other B1G games at the same time?

B1G will have 8 games a week, 7 on bye weeks, to broadcast. I would assume B1GNet will still have a week night game (1). FOX Big Noon (2). CBS (3). NBC (4). FS1 two Sat games (5 and 6). B1GN two Sat games (7 and 8).

FOX might still need content to fill afternoon and maybe primetime games, and FS1 1-3 more games each Sat. It really seems they are not interested in PAC, will they bid on Big12? or fill with G5 or non-CFB content?

If Big12 is last to eat and FOX still needs the content, I'll be bullish on the Big12's position.
Most likely the order in which they get to pick the games each week. For example Fox gets first pick, one week, then the other two networks pick, one at a time. The next week the NBC choses first, then CBS and last Fox.

One would think that Fox is allowed to have other conference games on the network, but truthfully it would be better if main Fox would not be allowed to do that, and the rest of the games were on FS1 or BTN. Be better for the Big 12

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Most likely the order in which they get to pick the games each week. For example Fox gets first pick, one week, then the other two networks pick, one at a time. The next week the NBC choses first, then CBS and last Fox.

One would think that Fox is allowed to have other conference games on the network, but truthfully it would be better if main Fox would not be allowed to do that, and the rest of the games were on FS1 or BTN. Be better for the Big 12
I really think that's how it has to be, BTN has to have X games on every week or it's not valuable, and the same for FS1.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
For those with the Athletic.

Related…

I’d add reading the article the PAC12 refusal to partner with Fox like the Big 10 did was the down fall. I’d also guess that it didn’t enamor Fox with the PAC12 . Could have lead to them wanting to no longer partner with them on the new rights.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Numbers for pac next week we’ll know more then on expansion. I think no expansion.

I agree, after all the bluster on the internet and in this thread, by myself included, I honestly think we are back at the status quo. Nothing changes from here until the next TV deals.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
For those with the Athletic.

Related…

I’d add reading the article the PAC12 refusal to partner with Fox like the Big 10 did was the down fall. I’d also guess that it didn’t enamor Fox with the PAC12 . Could have lead to them wanting to no longer partner with them on the new rights.

I assumed that the Pac12 couldn’t find a media partner. They turned down more than one…more than once? Good grief, this is all their fault.