Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
close-door-the-office.gif
Should have tornado and thinker hash it out on DM's. Would be like this I'm guessing.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
B1G seems to be taking a conservative growth approach; balancing distance, traditional markets, and brands. Taking the LA market in one swoop makes sense for westward expansion, as those schools are uniquely positioned to do the distance and are traveling teams, but I’m not convinced UO (or UW) is getting the invite. I don’t think the B1G wants to be fully stretched out in that space. I still think they’re going ACC.

After ND accepts (come on, you know they’re going to) that is going to be a monumental splash that is going to create a media wake that starts the ACC break (imagine the headlines and the marketing power that gives the B1G to be the conference that finally tames the proudly stubborn independent ND and lock them into a conference). UO may have a small chance to get the last spot but it’s all from certain. It’s riskier for the B1G than people realize. You know USC has been pushing ND, and I think ND will be pushing for ACC rivals likewise, in line with the B1G’s growth strategy. Oregon is being used and played.

Yormark needs to focus on creating the most exciting and competitive league with the best potential brands. There’s so much value in nearly all the PAC from a brand standpoint, it’s hard to go wrong. A Big 12/PAC merger is easily #3, but you start winning games in stronger competition, brands will start to build to be a not-so distant 3rd, especially with UO and UW. With them, the New Big 12/PAC could really thrive and compete as the exciting innovative conference to the stodgy Blue Hairs. If they can bring in Apple or Amazon, convince them of this and the money is not so far off, seeking the B1G might not be as necessary for a set of teams not looking for a dramatic change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gundog73

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I was interested in the who will eat who thing between the Pac-10 and Big 12 until every reporter said the Big Ten is not done, and every report has said things are on a brief pause only to wait for Notre Dame's decision. This makes total sense.

The B1G will take at least 1 and potentially more Pac-10 school(s), which will make the "who will eat who?" question very easy to answer. The Big 12 will poach whoever it wants from whoever is left. The Pac-12 will either die or will become a hollow shell back-filled with Mountain West schools.

• Winner
Reactions: cyatheart and 7Got6

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The new big 12 has 0 top football brands. None in the top 25. Not sure how you get west coast teams to join when they would be taking trips to Florida Ohio and West Virginia every year on 30 million dollars. Let alone Iowa Oklahoma Kansas.
Because it might be the choice between MWC or Big 12 for some of these schools. That could mean the difference of about $30m per year.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I don't think they are if they take a couple big 12 teams. Washington and Oregon going to Florida or West Virginia make no sense. Oklahoma State BYU and Texas schools going west does. If your not in the top 2 money making leagues.
Why would any of them want to leave the Big 12 right now to go into a dumpster fire? It makes absolutely no sense.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Should have tornado and thinker hash it out on DM's. Would be like this I'm guessing.

Hey I you think it makes sense for Oregon to play Central Florida on ESPN2 at 6 pm vs Oklahoma State vs Arizona State at 6 be my guest.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Honestly, if I'm the B1G and I can lock up Notre Dame, I might take Stanford over Oregon. I realize Stanford is a virtual non-entity athletically, but in every other way (including a relationship with ND) they bring so much to the table. That massive media market, Silicon Valley, the prestige of an Ivy-quality university, excellent non-revenue sports...seems too much to ignore.
The measured approach by the Big10 and SEC is interesting. More on the part of the SEC than the Big10.

Notre Dame is the elephant in the room. It's pretty clear the ACC will be raided just like the Big12 and Pac12. So when ND makes itself available, that will open the door for Big10 admission to a lot of schools.

Lets say under the new contract, the Big10 TV market value is $100M/school. If ND has a market value of $250M, that opens the door for the Big10 to add academic plays like Stanford and Cal. Or schools closer to the current Big10 footprint like CU, KU or even ISU.

What seems strange is why Washington or Oregon weren't added with USC & UCLA. Both would seem to have a TV market value higher than $100M, accretive to the Big10's TV contract.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Notre Dame can afford to wait. They are Independent. ACC teams are tied down. No one is moving. GOR. USC and UCLA gives a death blow to the PAC. Oregon and Washington will leave the other 8. Big Ten will take them. Don’t want to leave them for for Big 12. Big 12 might take 6. Leaving Washington State and Oregon State out. But take the other 6. Establish the League as the #3 Conference. Leave no doubt.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
And even if they stay now, they will always be looking to leave which makes that PAC 12 unstable.

The only way the Pac-10 could poach from the Big 12 is if those 10 schools released a new GOR that they all signed into the 2030s. I think B12 teams would jump if Oregon and UW tied themselves to the league like that.

Of course that is not happening.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I mean who needs a good negotiator when you’re not in a position of power to negotiate. Turdnado might be on to something. Hell maybe warren will throw us a bone and do it for us!
No, it's laughable that you feel "qualified" to rip Bowlsby yet again, when you have no knowledge whatsoever of what he did/could have done. Just amazing.
So then it's George Kliavkoff's fault that USC and UCLA bolted? After all he said just recently that he was "not concerned" about the Big Ten poaching any of his teams.
Tell me what could he have done, genius?

Help Support Us

Become a patron