US Open

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Primetime26, Apr 28, 2017.

1. cloneraslin

cloneraslin Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Vega actually has a ton of Freestyle credentials from HS. He is a 2x Fargo national champ and 4x All-American. As a Sophomore he was USAW triple crown winner. His Junior year in HS he was the UWW junior nationals open champion & placed runner up at the UWW jr world team trials.

He's just a very small 125 and needs to add muscle because I don't think he'd gonna add height

• Like Like x 1
  2. cyclonenation5

cyclonenation5 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +313 / 6 / -0
    Did not know this. Thank you.

3. PD2

PD2 Active Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Real Estate Developer
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +184 / 11 / -0
    Thanks. The Taylor match would have been close if Pat had been in competition tournament shape...same with Nickal (Pat hadn't wrestled a live match since the ASU dual in early January). Downey got a pig tail and Taylor got a first round bye. Downey wrestled three tough All Americans (coming back from an early 6-0 deficit vs Renda to win 10-6...took a lot from the tank). Downey's 18 minutes vs Taylor's 1 minute of wrestling before their match was a factor in those cheap push outs. p.s. In the Dean match, Downey controlled the center, the pace and the action...had Dean on the run. Good luck to the Cyclones this year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. PD2

PD2 Active Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Real Estate Developer
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +184 / 11 / -0
    #64 PD2, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Exactly...with the tournament spread out over two days, there's no excuse for guys being put in such unfair situations. Nickal hadn't wrestled one match, Downey had just went through Asper then Dean; Taylor had wrestled 1 minute to Downey's 18 minutes. These are not excuses, but facts; and anyone who thinks, especially at this level, that these factors aren't significant, really doesn't appreciate the toll it takes.

5. jkbuff98

jkbuff98 Active Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I can say I am genuinely happy for Downey and his results at the US Open. He is a true talent and I hope he is able to keep training and accomplish his goals. Congrats to him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PD2

PD2 Active Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Real Estate Developer
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +184 / 11 / -0
    Thank you. To come off of a three month layoff from live competition and to scrap with one All American after another within a couple hours is no easy task. All things considered, he did very well.

• Agree Agree x 2