Update on a vaccine

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Thought this needed a new thread.

AP, CNBC and others reporting great news on the vaccine front

https://apnews.com/e4d5259bfc6c74fc...rce=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=Social Flow

Thought we could use some good news for the fall and winter sports

Good news is good!

It's such a tug-and-pull with the vaccination side of things. You want it available immediately, but I really hope they're able to properly test it. I'd probably try to get one right away, but there'd be a part of me tempted to wait a bit and see how it initially goes.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Great news. I'm hopeful.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
My interpretation from the article is that it still wouldn't be implemented until after "the end of the year"

Meaning very little for everything before then

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I'm sure I'll get labeled as "anti-science" and "part of the problem", but I'll definitely slow-play getting this thing.

How many things go well in your industry when they're "fast tracked"?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Developing a vaccine is one thing, being able to get production of it is another. I have no idea how long it would take to set up a production line at an acceptable capacity for the nation.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Developing a vaccine is one thing, being able to get production of it is another. I have no idea how long it would take to set up a production line at an acceptable capacity for the nation.

Distribution is another huge question mark. Who's in charge of getting it out to the public, and who gets top priority. Nevertheless, there's little point to worrying about any of that until there's an approved vaccine. This is good news.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I'm sure I'll get labeled as "anti-science" and "part of the problem", but I'll definitely slow-play getting this thing.

I've thought about this too. I think I'm going to wait a little bit, but not get one right away. I would think I could be near the top of the priorities because I'm high risk due to having diabetes.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
For sure AFTER the election. Trump would taken all the credit otherwise and too many people want him out. Well that and realistically being able to get it mass produced before then ;-)

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

I work in IT. I choose not to cut myself on the bleeding edge there, and that's just email servers. Medicine should be even more cautious. Hopefully something being fast-tracked there still retains all safety protocols.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Distribution is another huge question mark. Who's in charge of getting it out to the public, and who gets top priority. Nevertheless, there's little point to worrying about any of that until there's an approved vaccine. This is good news.
That's one of the things about the Oxford vaccine candidate. The lab previously worked on SARS and MERS (same family of viruses as COVID-19) so they were able to spin up faster. They've got agreements with AstraZeneca and a plan to crank up to 2 billion doses.
It will take time. More details in the linked story below.

Status
Not open for further replies.