uni game....

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Get the brooms out. Nice win. We needed that. We played really well in sets 1 and 3. There were times in set 2 I worried about, but we got through it. Peterson really went after Berta with their serve. I thought Grace has a hammer on the outside, she's gonna have to get touches out there. Kuhrt is just amazing behind the 10 foot line, if they can set that, it's points. Her game after the summer is really impressive. Nolan played well, Harris, lots of players. Nice win.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Season is moving along with Nebbie on Saturday. Need our very best to have a fighting chance, then.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
If you caught Coach's post-game the discussion turned to Bigbee and how she is losing out to Grace. I thought it was due to injury - boy that is tough to hear.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sweep! Interesting that Bigbee didn't see the floor. Better talent or is she injured?

Just listened to CJL's press conference and it sounded like a coach's decision on Bigbee. She actually got pretty emotional about it and how she knows how hard it is to be beat out and that Bigbee is handling it maturely.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
The thing about Mackenzie I got worried about lately was kind of effort. She's a great offensive player and hitter, but she's kind of been a liabilty on defense. We need a better block from all the players in the front. I think she just might be in the "doghouse". I hope she takes it as a challenge and practices great. We could really use her arm.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The thing about Mackenzie I got worried about lately was kind of effort. She's a great offensive player and hitter, but she's kind of been a liabilty on defense. We need a better block from all the players in the front. I think she just might be in the "doghouse". I hope she takes it as a challenge and practices great. We could really use her arm.

Hope she stays ready to play cause it's a long season and people have off nights, get sick, have minor injuries. It's team first. Probably be chances to contribute in future sets.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
shoot, great game but I forgot to keep it on for the post-conference, dangit.

Sad to hear about Bigz but not a total shock. Hope she keeps working and keeps competing. She's a great weapon to have.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
That says a lot about Grace beating out an AA. Still, I get the feeling that Christie thinks that the last two classes are what she is going to build from.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Went to the match. It seemed like the first 2 sets were pretty even. Then in the 3rd we either dominated or UNI slide back. Great win for the ladies. Nebby is a wear gold game if you're attending, also they are putting the FB game on the big screens in Hilton after the VB game. Game time is 4 pm Sat. GO STATE!

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Still think our block is extremely weak/inconsistent! How come we can't consistently block?

The UNI match would be hard to judge by, because the as the announcers said, UNI being undersized, relies heavily on quicks which don't allow the blocks to set.

I think coach is also needing to tweak the rotation a bit. Clearly, our weakest rotation is when we have two bigs in the back row, with our short setter in the front. Hard on receiving serve, and hard on blocking.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
also they are putting the FB game on the big screens in Hilton after the VB game.

That'll be at least an hour wait...maybe 90 minutes. Most of the VB crowd could be home by then. Football doesn't start until 7:00.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Was at the game last night. Very decent crowd in attendance (~2,700). Schaben is getting better every game; have to remind myself that she is a freshman. She has that killer instinct that we have sometimes lacked in the past. Grace is awesome when she is on; it seems that she is still adjusting, but improving quickly. Her blocking got better as the game went on; she drove down some great slams. Nolan is very impressive; she puts herself in position to make the plays - and then does. Conaway is starting to show more as well.

Harris was much more comfortable setting - and she was getting much better passes as well. There are still some timing issues and such, but if she gets any kind of a decent pass, her sets are money.

Of course, UNI was not the toughest test but I have watched this team seomtimes play down to their competition in the past so going 3-0 was nice to see. I still firmly believe that this team has a lot of talent; they will definitely get better as the season progresses, and while you can say that about any team, I think our curve will be steeper.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That'll be at least an hour wait...maybe 90 minutes. Most of the VB crowd could be home by then. Football doesn't start until 7:00.

It would be fun to watch the game in Hilton . . . with ISU athletes . . . wonder if any other teams will also be there?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Conaway is starting to show more as well.
Conaway is an all-around accomplished elite athlete. If you watch her at the net she does not look then hit to spots. Her reflexes are such that she is in the process of seeing a spot and hitting at the same time. Her long arms and jumping ability makes her shots hard to stop. When there is a great block she is often the reason for it. We did well the keep her in-state! She may seem slim and unassuming but she is very competitive and has all the assets to be a great one.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Conaway is an all-around accomplished elite athlete. If you watch her at the net she does not look then hit to spots. Her reflexes are such that she is in the process of seeing a spot and hitting at the same time. Her long arms and jumping ability makes her shots hard to stop. When there is a great block she is often the reason for it. We did well the keep her in-state! She may seem slim and unassuming but she is very competitive and has all the assets to be a great one.

Totally agree as with your comment, StClone. I hope my comment did not suggest otherwise. Indeed, it looked like UNI was playing away from her defense and their defense crowded up the middle to force us to the outside. And there is no question that CJL is recruiting more athleticism. This is definitely a team to watch in the future.