ULM...info

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They run a spread offense with a mobile QB (not as shifty as UNI's). I watched both of their games and their primary means of running the football resembles ours. They run a zone read / inside zone a lot so Ray Lima plugging up the holes and taking on double teams will help our linebackers fill the gaps. Their bread and butter on offense seems to be their zone read / inside zone, so we'll be seeing that a lot.

Their QB has a weird hitch in his throw after watching the two games, and he seems to not always make the smartest throw. There were a few of them in both games that should've been picked off but only one was. As far as passing scheme they threw a lot to the edges and also ran a couple of fake screen wheel routes, so staying home on those and playing a safety over the top to pick that off will be something to look at.

Their defense let Grambling State run for 243 yards and FSU for 219 yards so it doesn't look like their run defense is that good, but we'll see. James Blackmon is not the best QB so it's TBD how good their pass defense is.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think they can move the ball against average defenses and struggle to stop the run. I expect ISU to handle them pretty well. If it turns into a mud bowl, hard to say.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Here's what I know.

Their mascot is a WarHawk, a bird of war.

source.gif

Their mascot is named Ace, due to ULM's long tradition of supporting ace rights.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Also on some of the passing TD's they gave up, their safeties and linebackers screamed up the field when the QB gave the play fake. I counted at least 4 times there was a wide open slant route / post pattern because their defense was way too aggressive.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
All I know is that I'm packing my army surplus poncho. It's going to be soggy. Except for you fine folks in the Suckup.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
They run a spread offense with a mobile QB (not as shifty as UNI's). I watched both of their games and their primary means of running the football resembles ours. They run a zone read / inside zone a lot so Ray Lima plugging up the holes and taking on double teams will help our linebackers fill the gaps. Their bread and butter on offense seems to be their zone read / inside zone, so we'll be seeing that a lot.

Their QB has a weird hitch in his throw after watching the two games, and he seems to not always make the smartest throw. There were a few of them in both games that should've been picked off but only one was. As far as passing scheme they threw a lot to the edges and also ran a couple of fake screen wheel routes, so staying home on those and playing a safety over the top to pick that off will be something to look at.

Their defense let Grambling State run for 243 yards and FSU for 219 yards so it doesn't look like their run defense is that good, but we'll see. James Blackmon is not the best QB so it's TBD how good their pass defense is.

So, what you're saying is, we be like . . .

giphy.gif

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So, what you're saying is, we be like . . .

giphy.gif
I have no doubt in my mind we will start making those interceptions when we get them. Coach Heacock and Campbell are going to make sure those easy take aways are made.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ULM is 41st in Total Offense; ISU is 51st but has faced better defenses, and ISU will be the best defense ULM has faced.

ISU is 30th in Total Defense; ULM is 111th in Total Defense so you'd hope ISU can put up some points if ISU is able to avoid 32 lightning delays and torrential downpours...
And Florida State's defense is rated 120th... so take that as you may.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I think they can move the ball against average defenses and struggle to stop the run. I expect ISU to handle them pretty well. If it turns into a mud bowl, hard to say.

I hope we ****ing pound it. Especially if it's muddy. Their defensive front is one of the smallest we've seen in awhile. There should be no excuse for not getting significant push up front.

DE ~ Donald Louis Jr 6'3" 262
NT ~ Larance Shaw 5'11" 285
DT ~ Mason Husmann 6'4" 265
DE ~ Kerry Starks 6'2" 235

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I hope we ****ing pound it. Especially if it's muddy. Their defensive front is one of the smallest we've seen in awhile. There should be no excuse for not getting significant push up front.

DE ~ Donald Louis Jr 6'3" 262
NT ~ Larance Shaw 5'11" 285
DT ~ Mason Husmann 6'4" 265
DE ~ Kerry Starks 6'2" 235

Kene is going to break a long one eventually. Was really close a couple times against Iowa.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'm trying to figure out how the O/U is 55.5 - what am I missing. After the FSU game, they put up 31 against Grambling and 28 vs ULL. This will be the best defense they see. Plus the weather conditions and the fact that we haven't scored more than 20 in regulation yet.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I watched the condensed version vs FSU and FSU turned the ball over three times, one of which was returned for a TD and the others were inside FSU's own territory. IF IF IF we hold onto the damn ball we will win big, if not it will be close.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and Statefan10

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'm trying to figure out how the O/U is 55.5 - what am I missing. After the FSU game, they put up 31 against Grambling and 28 vs ULL. This will be the best defense they see. Plus the weather conditions and the fact that we haven't scored more than 20 in regulation yet.
Yep, I took the under and assume I'll only be wrong if Iowa State puts up 40+, which wouldn't be so bad.

Reactions: cycloneworld

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018

What I have read from the ULM side agrees with this. They believe Purdy will have time to find targets because of a lack of pass rush and ISU's defense can slow down ULM. But, they believe ISU's offense has shown no "pop" so far, so the game will still be in question at the beginning of the 4th quarter. No, I don't have a link, just found through google.