Twister Sister Summary - it's staying ugly

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I had to stew on this one for a while before typing my thoughts. Why? I was thoroughly disgusted with nearly every aspect of this ugly loss to Texas. I'll get the whining out of the way first and say that like last game the officiating was abysmal. Really, really abysmal. That's done. Let's talk the game.

Describing this will be pretty easy. The sisters continued the same disjointed play that we saw against Oklahoma on both offense and defense. Ashley Joens got into early foul trouble (3 fouls part way through the 2nd quarter) and spent most of the next two quarters on the bench. The best player in the league utterly dominated the sisters. Collier for Texas single handedly made the sisters look like a middle school team at times. Our effort didn't help that. I can't think of how many times the sisters had 2, 3, or 4 players set to get a rebound and Collier would end up with the ball. It wasn't just height...it was effort. Why is Texas the better team? Execution. Texas constantly moves the ball on offense. Players are moving and weaving and as soon as there is a breakdown on defense...boom...score. Sadly...there were lots of breakdowns on defense. I've said this before and it's starting to sound like a broken record. When we pass the ball on offense good things happen. When we play 1 on 5 it's not good. There are times when you can tell by Donarski's body language that she's forgotten she has four teammates. As the game went on it got to the point that players began to stand around and when someone drove and looked to pass...no one was in position to help.

So, this game was worse than the final score. It really was. We had missed free throws at inopportune times (just like against OU). Defensive breakdowns. Lazy passes or ball handling resulting in turnovers (because Texas was hounding us all the time). Lots...and I mean lots of missed shots. The worst part was missed offensive opportunities.

Observations:
I'm not sure if there really was a bright spot, but the one I'll pick was right before halftime. The ladies were down by double digits. Joens was on the bench and the team hit four straight treys to pull within five points. That was grit. They could have folded their tent but didn't. I'll also say that there were a couple of spurts in the second half...especially the one to pull within one point that showed spunk. After that closure Texas went on a 14-0 run where the wheels on the bus didn't just wobble...they flew off into the crowd.

I'm not sure what is going on with the team this past week. After such brilliant play against OSU and BU, they have looked like a shell of that team. There is nothing remotely sharp about this squad right now.

Ashley spent about 1 1/2 quarters on the bench. She still managed to score 17 points and grab 5 boards. NO ONE ELSE on the team had double digit scoring. When you look at the number of shots others took, you will see two things. First, turnovers (15...seemed like 30) cut short offensive possessions and second, it seemed some of the players were afraid to shoot after missing a couple. Everyone except Donarski and she had a horrid shooting night going 3-13 (ugh). The offense is completely out of sync when they forget the fundamentals.

For the first time this year, my impression was that I saw a group that was knocked into submission.

Free throws. I mentioned they missed some at very opportune times. At one point they missed four straight. 9-14 won't cut it for this squad and that is getting to the line not nearly enough.

The Seniors. I felt all game that Scott looked lost out there. She was moving at half speed and seemed confused by what was happening. Rae was a complete non-factor in the game. Maddie showed some spurts that helped.

Ryan - she is one of those players that when you forget she is a freshman makes you scream in ecstasy and horror throughout the game. Nine assists. NINE. Six turnovers. SIX. The turnovers always seemed to come from a lack of concentration or something. She either tried to force something that wasn't there or had her pocket picked. But those assists. She can definitely distribute the ball. When that part of the team game is working (yes, the above mentioned passing of the ball and player movement) this team is tough to stop.

There it is. In my opinion (which isn't worth much) if this team does more of the movement/passing offense they win games. The more one on one play by ANY of the players there is means trouble is brewing.

Something is going to have to change for the ladies to figure out where they left their mojo. They have KSU coming up before having to face Baylor and WVU back to back. If they continue to play like they are now KSU could steal their first conference win and the other two won't even be pretty to look at. BUT we know what this team is capable of and they have several days to get ready for the purple kitties. Watching some game film and good coaching might be a good cure for what ails the sisters. The team needs to find what locker their mojo got left in and get it back out. We know it's there waiting.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I’ll agree with a lot of what you said.. but other than the second quarter, I didn’t think the officiating was that bad. It was fairly consistent. Last game I thought was MUCH worse. Texas was doing a good job of moving their feet and not reaching (again, except for the second quarter). Granted I was in Hilton and haven’t watched a replay yet, but I didn’t think it was that bad, just Texas playing hard nosed defense.

The freshmen will learn how to play through that and draw the fouls from that pressure defense, but they didn’t today. Ashley being out for so long let Texas keep playing aggressive as she wasn’t out there drawing those fouls.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Hard to disagree with anything in that assessment, Cous. ISU was simply not present on the court today, aside from about 5 total minutes. It definitely seemed like a LOT more than 15 turnovers. It was one of those games where nothing worked. Normally, Ashley is a calming influence on the floor. They for sure missed her today when she was on the bench, but even when playing, there was just a disconnect. Scott at least scored some (all in the first half?), versus the one point against OU. She's looked lost both games this week. Another thing: why aren't people jumping for rebounds?!? Texas was jumping all over the place to get those boards. If the ball didn't come directly to a Cyclone, they had no chance. I'm honestly surprised the rebound totals were as close as they were (35-32 in favor of UT).

An aside note: I was embarrassed for the Texas program's bench today. Along with screeching like howler monkeys nearly the entire first half, at one point, they were all standing right at the edge of the court screaming at the top of their lungs at Emily who was dribbling. It was classless, but unfortunately, this is likely what we can expect from Texas from now on. Clearly the coach encourages (or at least does nothing to discourage) such behavior that honestly should have resulted in a warning if not a technical from the officials, which included Jesse Dickerson, so that wasn't likely. It's not a good look, but I guess if you win, in Austin it's ok (or is now). I couldn't see this from where we sat, but was told after the game that the coach's wife was sitting at our stat bench across the court from the Texas bench, yelling and cheering for Texas. Money can buy a better coach, but it sure doesn't mean class or acceptable behavior comes with it. I probably have a new most-hated Big 12 program (with so many to choose from, this is saying something).

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
The foul part ‘equaled’ out I guess. The refs controlled the game though by getting Ashley 2 fouls by the 6 minute mark in the first quarter. That’s your ball game.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
I had to stew on this one for a while before typing my thoughts. Why? I was thoroughly disgusted with nearly every aspect of this ugly loss to Texas. I'll get the whining out of the way first and say that like last game the officiating was abysmal. Really, really abysmal. That's done. Let's talk the game.

Describing this will be pretty easy. The sisters continued the same disjointed play that we saw against Oklahoma on both offense and defense. Ashley Joens got into early foul trouble (3 fouls part way through the 2nd quarter) and spent most of the next two quarters on the bench. The best player in the league utterly dominated the sisters. Collier for Texas single handedly made the sisters look like a middle school team at times. Our effort didn't help that. I can't think of how many times the sisters had 2, 3, or 4 players set to get a rebound and Collier would end up with the ball. It wasn't just height...it was effort. Why is Texas the better team? Execution. Texas constantly moves the ball on offense. Players are moving and weaving and as soon as there is a breakdown on defense...boom...score. Sadly...there were lots of breakdowns on defense. I've said this before and it's starting to sound like a broken record. When we pass the ball on offense good things happen. When we play 1 on 5 it's not good. There are times when you can tell by Donarski's body language that she's forgotten she has four teammates. As the game went on it got to the point that players began to stand around and when someone drove and looked to pass...no one was in position to help.

So, this game was worse than the final score. It really was. We had missed free throws at inopportune times (just like against OU). Defensive breakdowns. Lazy passes or ball handling resulting in turnovers (because Texas was hounding us all the time). Lots...and I mean lots of missed shots. The worst part was missed offensive opportunities.

Observations:
I'm not sure if there really was a bright spot, but the one I'll pick was right before halftime. The ladies were down by double digits. Joens was on the bench and the team hit four straight treys to pull within five points. That was grit. They could have folded their tent but didn't. I'll also say that there were a couple of spurts in the second half...especially the one to pull within one point that showed spunk. After that closure Texas went on a 14-0 run where the wheels on the bus didn't just wobble...they flew off into the crowd.

I'm not sure what is going on with the team this past week. After such brilliant play against OSU and BU, they have looked like a shell of that team. There is nothing remotely sharp about this squad right now.

Ashley spent about 1 1/2 quarters on the bench. She still managed to score 17 points and grab 5 boards. NO ONE ELSE on the team had double digit scoring. When you look at the number of shots others took, you will see two things. First, turnovers (15...seemed like 30) cut short offensive possessions and second, it seemed some of the players were afraid to shoot after missing a couple. Everyone except Donarski and she had a horrid shooting night going 3-13 (ugh). The offense is completely out of sync when they forget the fundamentals.

For the first time this year, my impression was that I saw a group that was knocked into submission.

Free throws. I mentioned they missed some at very opportune times. At one point they missed four straight. 9-14 won't cut it for this squad and that is getting to the line not nearly enough.

The Seniors. I felt all game that Scott looked lost out there. She was moving at half speed and seemed confused by what was happening. Rae was a complete non-factor in the game. Maddie showed some spurts that helped.

Ryan - she is one of those players that when you forget she is a freshman makes you scream in ecstasy and horror throughout the game. Nine assists. NINE. Six turnovers. SIX. The turnovers always seemed to come from a lack of concentration or something. She either tried to force something that wasn't there or had her pocket picked. But those assists. She can definitely distribute the ball. When that part of the team game is working (yes, the above mentioned passing of the ball and player movement) this team is tough to stop.

There it is. In my opinion (which isn't worth much) if this team does more of the movement/passing offense they win games. The more one on one play by ANY of the players there is means trouble is brewing.

Something is going to have to change for the ladies to figure out where they left their mojo. They have KSU coming up before having to face Baylor and WVU back to back. If they continue to play like they are now KSU could steal their first conference win and the other two won't even be pretty to look at. BUT we know what this team is capable of and they have several days to get ready for the purple kitties. Watching some game film and good coaching might be a good cure for what ails the sisters. The team needs to find what locker their mojo got left in and get it back out. We know it's there waiting.

Calm down.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I thought Texas’ defense was really good. Their team plays in a higher gear than we do. Our decision making and actions are too slow, which comes with a freshman point guard. On rebounding, everyone was standing flat footed straight up around Collier when she shot so as not to foul her. The consequence was she could just go right back up and rebound.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
The foul part ‘equaled’ out I guess. The refs controlled the game though by getting Ashley 2 fouls by the 6 minute mark in the first quarter. That’s your ball game.

My thoughts exactly. Ashley is out and they hack and hack. Refs could have called so many more fouls. And the freshman acted like freshmen. They'll learn from this.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
An aside note: I was embarrassed for the Texas program's bench today. Along with screeching like howler monkeys nearly the entire first half, at one point, they were all standing right at the edge of the court screaming at the top of their lungs at Emily who was dribbling. It was classless, but unfortunately, this is likely what we can expect from Texas from now on. Clearly the coach encourages (or at least does nothing to discourage) such behavior that honestly should have resulted in a warning if not a technical from the officials, which included Jesse Dickerson, so that wasn't likely. It's not a good look, but I guess if you win, in Austin it's ok (or is now). I couldn't see this from where we sat, but was told after the game that the coach's wife was sitting at our stat bench across the court from the Texas bench, yelling and cheering for Texas. Money can buy a better coach, but it sure doesn't mean class or acceptable behavior comes with it. I probably have a new most-hated Big 12 program (with so many to choose from, this is saying something).
I completely agree with this. I forgot about it when posting earlier. Very classless.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's great to see the return of the 3 ball that has that has been the trademark under BF. Our weakness right now is no presence in the post against teams that have dominate post players. We have a lot of great shooters and ball handers but the more physical teams are going to give us fits.

Reactions: ISU71

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
On the officials, when I saw the crew I knew we would have a very physical game and one of those officials has never liked coach. It was wild how the officials allowed the Texas bench stand so close to the floor and yell. I have seen in other games our players way back from the floor standing and told to sit down. Also this year officials have allowed coaches much more latitude to get out on the floor during play and get almost to the centerline to yell to players.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
......The refs controlled the game though by getting Ashley 2 fouls by the 6 minute mark in the first quarter. That’s your ball game.

Agree. AJ is the player we go through so it changed the entire game. Wish Bill would have played her more and used all five fouls.
Second key is we were going up against the women's game best player and she was on. Tough to beat that.
Third key was that our freshman were not ready for the pressure. Some of it is coaching, some simply experience.
We'll be a very tough out next year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I couldn't see this from where we sat, but was told after the game that the coach's wife was sitting at our stat bench across the court from the Texas bench, yelling and cheering for Texas.
I was at the game - did not notice this. But coaches' spouses are not supposed to travel.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The Texas coach's wife’s actions had L. Fennelly a little fired up on Twitter. #classless
The Texas bench coming from the second row to the edge of the court in a trapping situation on Emily was unacceptable

Texas is a tough matchup for us. Physical down low and athletic at the guard position. We needed a big game from three and that didn’t happen.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The Texas coach's wife’s actions had L. Fennelly a little fired up on Twitter. #classless
The Texas bench coming from the second row to the edge of the court in a trapping situation on Emily was unacceptable

Texas is a tough matchup for us. Physical down low and athletic at the guard position. We needed a big game from three and that didn’t happen.
Here's the original tweet you were referring to.

Reactions: bozclone

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Open question. Normally I sit in the third row and yell my fool head off. Is that classless too?

With you & others in their "normal" seats, there is a chance that the UT bench would have been drowned out. I don't have a problem with them yelling either (although it was definitely obnoxious)--it was the way they all came up to the edge of the court/crowded around when ER was trapped & other situations. (taunting?) Think they crossed the line. Not impressed with Coach Schaefer allowing that.

Can't wait for all our fans to return to Hilton & give this team the home crowd support that they deserve!

Side note: Keep yelling your fool head off. Love it. Go Cyclones!

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustimac

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
This game is a classic example of the clash of two different coach philosophies. Doing things the right way (or IowaStateWay) vs win at all costs way. The IowaStateWay culture never puts winning as its #1 priority. Look at how Tom Herman got canned you should know Texa$ is all above win at all costs.

As a finesse team, we will never "physically" out tough teams like Texas, Baylor, West Virginia, etc., but we got "mentally" out tough them if we are going to win games against this kind of opponent. And it'd be nice to coach the ladies to get better to play through connect especially layups. Skillwise, we are the better team than Texas. As this team keeps growing, and if there's a Big12 tournament in March, we will beat Texas if we meet again.

Help Support Us

Become a patron