Tre Jackson commits

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Love the pick-up.
Just playing devil's advocate though, Prohm recruited only two of those 4 pros, and of those two, only Payne would have been considered a "diamond in the rough."

Isaiah Canaan was a 2* per 247 Sports (as was Payne). How was he not a "diamond in the rough?" You also have to give credit to Prohm for continuing to develop Morris his last two years to the point he was drafted.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Prohm didn't take a commitment from McKinley Wright two years ago. If he didn't really want Jackson, he wouldn't have accepted the commitment.

Oh I agree. I haven't said anywhere that he didn't want Jackson. He obviously did. You were questioning someone who said Jackson wasn't his "first choice". There's obviously a big difference between someone not being their first choice and not wanting a commitment. But I think it's undeniable that there were other PGs throughout this process Prohm had a higher value on. They didn't want to come here, that's recruiting, and he moved along through the process.

I really don't mean to disparage the kid. He's accomplished a great deal by getting an offer here and I hope he's great. I love his quotes about playing hard and the analysis about him not backing down from anyone. I just think people need a dose of reality that this kid was likely not the guy the staff outlined as a top priority, or maybe even a top 3 priority. Which, again, is not the end of the World.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
While Tre doesn't have the ranking the staff identified him late and quickly prioritized him at the PG recruit they wanted. I get the hesitation with his relatively low ranking compared to Tandy or other PG prospect the staff has been recruiting but I like commitment. That said he was getting interest from other major colleges like South Carolina and Cinci which should validate the staffs opinion. Tre is already talking about his pro potential the staff see's in him and seems to have the right type of game to complement our roster.

Truth is any guard brought in right now has to accept a back up role for a couple of years considering the current roster construction which is less appealing for other top 100 players. Tre fits that mold and should be ready to play in 2 years very good pick up for the staff if he develops like the staff believes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While Tre doesn't have the ranking the staff identified him late and quickly prioritized him at the PG recruit they wanted. I get the hesitation with his relatively low ranking compared to Tandy or other PG prospect the staff has been recruiting but I like commitment. That said he was getting interest from other major colleges like South Carolina and Cinci which should validate the staffs opinion. Tre is already talking about his pro potential the staff see's in him and seems to have the right type of game to complement our roster.

Truth is any guard brought in right now has to accept a back up role for a couple of years considering the current roster construction which is less appealing for other top 100 players. Tre fits that mold and should be ready to play in 2 years very good pick up for the staff if he develops like the staff believes.

That's actually a really good point. Lindell will carry the bulk of the minutes this year, with Weiler-Babb moving over to the PG to spell him. Next year it will be Nixon and Haliburton. So it is a great point that our depth at PG now would undoubtedly go against us in recruiting someone who thinks they should play day 1.

• Winner
Reactions: swessball

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
That's actually a really good point. Lindell will carry the bulk of the minutes this year, with Weiler-Babb moving over to the PG to spell him. Next year it will be Nixon and Haliburton. So it is a great point that our depth at PG now would undoubtedly go against us in recruiting someone who thinks they should play day 1.

Which I think Tandy.....cough.....his dad......cough.....think he should be playing right away. Some of the articles I read seems like hes a helicopter dad. Not gonna lie I really wanted/want Tandy though.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Isaiah Canaan was a 2* per 247 Sports (as was Payne). How was he not a "diamond in the rough?" You also have to give credit to Prohm for continuing to develop Morris his last two years to the point he was drafted.
Prohm wasn't the coach when Canaan was recruited. However, a previous poster thought maybe Prohm was the lead recruiter for Canaan. Which, would make it more impressive for Prohm.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I see the rankings and percentages as basically probabilities.

I think both sides are essentially right -- a guy with a ranking in the low 80s on 247 is not as likely to be a contributor at the Big 12 level as somebody like Wigginton.

Then again, this staff has proven it has an eye for such guys in both Ames and Murray.

Just looking at the class from last season...

Wigginton met his ranking -- if not exceeded it somewhat.

Not giving up on Lewis, but considering many of us were speculating he would be a starter or at least a significant rotation guy on a depleted team before the season, I think you have to say he under-performed from his 92% initial ranking (at least so far). Maybe he has a career resurgence as an upperclassman, sort of like Matt Thomas did as a junior.

Long had a similar ranking and never made much of an impact, in comparison.

Lard definitely exceed his ranking. He is a diamond in the rough.

Maybe Jackson surprises people. USC and Cincinnati being after him is encouraging. Maybe he is another Lard, or maybe he is not quite the player for this level. If not, so be it, and he transfers down, and I am sure Prohm helps him find a nice home.

Maybe he is a good Cyclone in a few years. Maybe he is doing well for UNC-Charlotte or Coastal Carolina or something like that. Who knows.

Recruiting is a roll of the dice every time. I trust Prohm made the best bets.

Reactions: necromancy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I see the rankings and percentages as basically probabilities.

I think both sides are essentially right -- a guy with a ranking in the low 80s on 247 is not as likely to be a contributor at the Big 12 level as somebody like Wigginton.

Maybe he is a good Cyclone in a few years. Maybe he is doing well for UNC-Charlotte or Coastal Carolina or something like that. Who knows.

Recruiting is a roll of the dice every time. I trust Prohm made the best bets.

Great points. In general higher ranked player are better bets to contribute/start due to being more developed compared to their peers. There are always cases where players develop late or the development stalls leading to misses. This is different than 25+ years ago where a player joined and rarely left for 4 years thus a miss on a recruit could hurt for an extended period. In this current Transfer climate it is much easier for a player to find their level after a short period of time.
This Class for Prohm has some high variation of ceiling/floor for each of the prospects (best example is Leech) if in two years any haven't gotten the roles either the player or staff expected attrition will happen and the staff can pivot to a JC or post grad player to fill the void.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Could also be a Fran McCaffrey class. We just don’t know.
I’m not saying it can’t be but I’d like to at least think positively for a few reasons.

1. They chose to be Cyclones so it looks bad to hate on them.

2. I’d hate to be that guy bashing them and look dumb when this thread is bumped back up after they all contribute nicely.

3. I really don’t know enough about them to have a negative opinion so I’m going to be optimistic at least.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
This KyKy recruitment is becoming eerily similar to the Tyler Harris one. Openly recruiting kids to ISU, a relatively quiet kid who doesn't let much on his recruitment get out, and then the bringing in of a new recruit later in the process that eventually commits before him.

Obviously, each recruitment is different, but can't help but notice the similarities. Happy that we got Tre and think he can be a solid piece for us early that turns in to a really handful. Now let's just sit back and see how the rest of the class plays out.

• Agree
Reactions: WhatchaGonnaDo

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Ok so in this class we are getting a Kid in Leech who was considered one of the top players in the entire 2019 Class, and 5 Star Talent who is an elite scorer from anywhere on the Court. A stretch 4 in Anderson who is a hellacious rebounder, and is considered one of the best pure shooters in the Nation. A tough physical PG in Jackson who is also a very lethal shooter, passer, and has the potential defensively to be a lock down defender on the perimeter. The rankings don't look good on paper as of now. But trust me these 3 dudes can Ball Out.