Trap game and big game this week

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I am glad that Cyclone fans are worried more about firing their coaches after a win in what was obviously a trap game than they are the single most important game of the year.

Fact is we won what most would consider a classic trap game.

Fact is our offense gave them 7 points.

Fact is the coaches did what everyone has been screaming for and made effective half time adjustments. For those of you that drank too much before the game and at halftime, we switched to a three man fron and had some success on defense. We passed like hell and scored 21 points to their 6 while we gave the ball up two times. Effectively giving up 3 points and erasing 7.

Fact is Sanders had 137 yards passing and 64 yards were on their first scoring drive. We adjusted, then they ran the ball. He had 73 yards passing the rest of the game. Can you say defense adjustment.

Fact is the defense replaced 8 starters and the coaches are still trying to figure out how to utilize talent.

Fact is that we showed a three man front on Saturday. Do we switch to this Was this an experiment? Is this what we will see the rest of the season?

Fact is you don't change defensive schemes over night. for those of you who sit in the stand and have never coached, you don't just say okay switch to a 3-4 or 3-3-5. It takes time.

Fact is SATURDAY's GAME IS THE BIGGEST OF THE YEAR!!!!!! Focus your energy there and get behind the team. A victory Saturday gives us a big advantage in The North and setting a tone for the rest of the season.

Fact is the season isn't even half over. I am really disappointed that most people don't get this. I am really disappointed a website host would post a thread stating the Coach is gone before the season is half over and has had a chance to play itself out.

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would agree, the coaches actually had little to do with the poor performance against UNI. The game was only close because ISU turned the ball over in critical moments. Take away the pick for 6 and the two fumbles and ISU probably wins the game by double digits.

The one really bad call I can remember is the 4th and 2 play. Everyone in the stadium knew what was coming, if you're going to go for it, be a little bit more adventerous than running it straight up the middle.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
The coaches actually made good adjustments at halftime, which is what everyone here wanted to see for once. We had just dug ourselves so deep a hole that it was difficult climbing out.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
EXCELLENT post. Well-researched and thought-out. :)

cgwarrior33

Mar 27, 2006
Norwalk, Iowa
Good post. We do not want a Larry Coker type situation brewing. Let things happen this month. We play to our competition which sucks, but we also play pretty well against good teams in Texas and IOWA. Both games were on the road in tough environments. The North is weak and if we can beat Nebraska, and get one from Oklahoma or Tech we will be in great shape to make a big run. I know baseball is different than football, but in June, who would have thought the Twins would win the division. As we are sitting right here in week 5, no one is really expecting us to win the North. So why not?

ljs6756

Apr 10, 2006
If we play well and pull out a win on saturday against the huskers, we will know that last week he was preparing for them and not the game at hand...
UNI had a bye last week and had nothing but two weeks to prepare for this big game..

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Plus, if you've noticed, our passing yardage has shot up considerably since the Texas game. Considering the lack of running versus UNI, and NU's weak secondary, I think the team got caught looking ahead to Nebraska. If we limit Zac Taylor's passing abilities like we did against UNI's QB, we should be in good shape. UNI's RB looked like 1A material, regardless of how poor we were in stopping him.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
If we play well and pull out a win on saturday against the huskers, we will know that last week he was preparing for them and not the game at hand...
UNI had a bye last week and had nothing but two weeks to prepare for this big game..

With the way we’ve nearly lost to lesser teams this year, you’d have to be an idiot to look past anyone.

If we beat NU this week, it will be a huge disservice to UNI to think we struggled with them because we were preparing for Nebraska.

Simply put, we are not talented enough or coached well enough to look past any team in America and still expect to win. The most telling factor of all will come when we venture to the road against some of these lesser teams. We’ve lost the two road games we’ve played, granted against good competition.

If the games we won were on the road, I would guess we’d be 0-5 right now.

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
4th and 2....Hicks goes up the middle.....for a loss on the play.

Shouldn't we be a little more complex than that by now?

You'd think so. Especially when Scales ran the ball before that down. How obvious is that...bring in the bigger back to run up the middle! If we're going to be that obvious, just let Kock run the ball. He gets the yardage even when the WHOLE STADIUM knows he's running!

avery_larry

May 9, 2006
Ames

Uhh, heard of Kock? I think Hicks up the middle is more complex. Good aggressive gamble.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Ok, he got stuffed. Ya know what? #$%& happens. There was 9 in the box. Adrian Peterson might have gotten the first down, but unfortunately he wears crimson and not cardinal. Meyer probably should have audibled and thrown to flynn on a slant or blythe on a fly It could have been game over at that point but at least our clones had the testicular fortitude to pull the game out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron