Transfer Portal Post-NIL

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
If a coach can leave at any time, a player should be able to leave at any time.
This is an apples and oranges argument. Coaches have to be bought out of contracts. Assistant coaches on one year contracts move around all the time, but they also have no job security. Iirc, P5 players are protected by having guaranteed scholarships for four years. A remedy I think would work is a transfer fee system, kind of like global soccer, but the fees are standardized depending on the the level of the schools involved (P5 vs G5 vs FCS, etc.) so that there’s no negotiating and players aren’t held hostage.

Schools that have players poached are financially compensated. Player can still go wherever he or she is wanted. Win-win.

Edit: Yes, I’m suggesting that players become employees. Also they should unionize so anti-trust issues can be dealt with.

Last edited:

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Lots of good posts in this thread so far. I think it is very sad and frustrating that places like Iowa and Iowa State put so much effort into finding those players to develop into all conference players, etc. you may spend 3-4 years recruiting a player and then develop them for 2 years only to have some team come in in the dark of the night and offer a player 500K to come play for Georgia. Teams will be coming hard for players like Kolar, Hall and Purdy, etc.
it would be hard to be upset for a kid taking that offer, But at the same time, the system is busted and like someone said earlier....its become the wild west.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lots of good posts in this thread so far. I think it is very sad and frustrating that places like Iowa and Iowa State put so much effort into finding those players to develop into all conference players, etc. you may spend 3-4 years recruiting a player and then develop them for 2 years only to have some team come in in the dark of the night and offer a player 500K to come play for Georgia. Teams will be coming hard for players like Kolar, Hall and Purdy, etc.
it would be hard to be upset for a kid taking that offer, But at the same time, the system is busted and like someone said earlier....its become the wild west.
It is frustrating, but that's the real world, though. These players are not under contract. Their scholarships are renewable each year. If they want to go to school somewhere else afte r a season, for whatever reason, they should be able to.

Yes, other schools might try to take advantage of that. That sucks, but we're not going to see the transfer process made more restrictive. If you're waiting for that to happen, you're going to be waiting for a long time. There are lawyers just itching to take on the NCAA on that front. The NCAA knows it, and isn't going to risk a court decision that will force their hand.

The Laissez Faire NCAA is probably the new normal, at least for a while. Schools spending time whining about it are going to get left in the dust if they're not careful.