Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

I'm making fun of the hawk fans that think that moving J-Bo to the 2 is a magic bullet. Iowa runs a very active free flowing offense so it's not like playing PG has ever held him back as far as getting looks goes. The whole discussion is really moot because whether he's playing the 1 or the 2 you still can't hide him on defense.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I'm making fun of the hawk fans that think that moving J-Bo to the 2 is a magic bullet. Iowa runs a very active free flowing offense so it's not like playing PG has ever held him back as far as getting looks goes. The whole discussion is really moot because whether he's playing the 1 or the 2 you still can't hide him on defense.
I disagree he won't get better looks. When you're the primary dribbler it's hard without good quickness to get good looks. A lot of times your first 1st to 2nd dribbles are going to be your best shot to get a good look. Now you have a pg that can get into the lane and force the defense to sag. He only had that with Garza's postplay but nobody could consistently get in the lane past couple years. If we had an athletic 2 maybe it's less important. You're correct in that defensively we still can't hide him but who was guarding the top guards past years sometimes it was fredrick and sometimes for some reason it was Bohanon (Gonzaga/suggs) now it's not a question. If we see a speedy athletic 1 that will be Joe's man

• Haha
Reactions: Rural

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I disagree he won't get better looks. When you're the primary dribbler it's hard without good quickness to get good looks. A lot of times your first 1st to 2nd dribbles are going to be your best shot to get a good look. Now you have a pg that can get into the lane and force the defense to sag. He only had that with Garza's postplay but nobody could consistently get in the lane past couple years. If we had an athletic 2 maybe it's less important. You're correct in that defensively we still can't hide him but who was guarding the top guards past years sometimes it was fredrick and sometimes for some reason it was Bohanon (Gonzaga/suggs) now it's not a question. If we see a speedy athletic 1 that will be Joe's man
I'll throw a wrench into that argument and say:

1. A good defense will not sag off of Jordan. He can't finish at the rim and will be forced to take 25+ foot threes.
2. Joe T. is not a good enough threat offensively for defenses to over help with, plus he can't shoot from 3 well.
3. Joe T. is not a good decision maker, so I wouldn't trust him to be able to consistently get the ball to J-Bo in good situations honestly.
4. Good teams have more than 1 guy that can attack the basket (see Oregon). Jordan guarding the team's 2 or 3 isn't going to be much of a difference. He's just flat out not a good defender and has to shoot well to be a factor on the court.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I'll throw a wrench into that argument and say:

1. A good defense will not sag off of Jordan. He can't finish at the rim and will be forced to take 25+ foot threes.
2. Joe T. is not a good enough threat offensively for defenses to over help with, plus he can't shoot from 3 well.
3. Joe T. is not a good decision maker, so I wouldn't trust him to be able to consistently get the ball to J-Bo in good situations honestly.
4. Good teams have more than 1 guy that can attack the basket (see Oregon). Jordan guarding the team's 2 or 3 isn't going to be much of a difference. He's just flat out not a good defender and has to shoot well to be a factor on the court.
4 I can't argue. I watched oregon quite a bit last year and before selection Sunday even occurred I said here I don't want to play Oregon. Some teams will have 2 or 3 great guards and then we will need to play jordan less unless he's hot.

I think 2 and 3 are up for debate I think joe should of been playing more last year which is basically summary of this conversation. When Joe played less and less last year he complicated things by playing worse. He seemed to of lost confidence. Alot of this is me banking on Toussaint being solid this year. Time will tell. I think he could average 8,6, and 5. Points/Assists/rebounds. He's more of a do everything guy compared to Jordan

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
4 I can't argue. I watched oregon quite a bit last year and before selection Sunday even occurred I said here I don't want to play Oregon. Some teams will have 2 or 3 great guards and then we will need to play jordan less unless he's hot.

I think 2 and 3 are up for debate I think joe should of been playing more last year which is basically summary of this conversation. When Joe played less and less last year he complicated things by playing worse. He seemed to of lost confidence. Alot of this is me banking on Toussaint being solid this year. Time will tell. I think he could average 8,6, and 5. Points/Assists/rebounds. He's more of a do everything guy compared to Jordan
Very fair. If Toussaint ends up being how you're predicting then your takes could end up being true.

Reactions: GoHawks

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

If he can do more than shoot he would be a more do all than jobo Doesn’t even need to do the stuff decent

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is why I brought this up earlier. I have issue with your bolded. By no means did I watch every Iowa game last year, but I watched enough to know that aside from bringing the ball down the court at times (and certainly not all the time) Jorbo usually dishes the ball as soon as he crossed the half court line. The ball was almost always in Garza's hands, otherwise as @BillBrasky4Cy noted, Iowa was always moving the ball around. It didn't stick anywhere unless it went to Garza on the block. Jorbo got plenty of open looks as "Point Guard" simply due to playing in Fran's system. I don't really know how much that changes playing "off the ball more" simply because I don't know what playing off the ball means in Fran's system. A guy bring the ball up the court and then it rotates around the perimeter until someone has a good shot. Jorbo has gotten looks in the past. Is the expectation that he will now take one extra 3 pt fg per game? 2?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron