Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Nunge is bad...real bad. Laughable he starts...if Iowa and Fran were smart..they would go..

Touissant
CJ
JW
Kriener
Garza
It is obvious that Kriener is better than Nunge - but the following is a quote from Fran about JN:
“(Nunge has) got to fight through it. One of the things that hurt him, was when I put Kriener in and he played well, so he didn’t get back in as much. I got to be able to go back to him and kind of let him play through it a little bit more than I did. But it wasn’t one of his better nights clearly,” McCaffery said.
So, RK plays well and Fran says that it hurt Nunge?! Amazing take, Fran. I think a competent coach would respond in this manner: RK played well and we need everyone else to perform like he did. The players that do that will be the ones who play.
He never disappoints at being so stubbornly locked into playing his sons and keeping a rotation of 13-14 players - so glad he is NOT our coach!!!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
200.gif

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: cyinne and mj4cy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don’t think he screwed up hiring Fran. But he’s screwed up for not only keeping him as long as he has, but signing him to ridiculous extensions.

He's literally Paul Rhoads. Got people interested in the program again but can't recruit to sustain any type of success

• Useful
Reactions: wclarson

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He's literally Paul Rhoads. Got people interested in the program again but can't recruit to sustain any type of success
It's evident Paul wasn't a good HC but he's extremely bright and a nice guy.
You can't even say the latter about Fran which gave Paul a longer than necessary opportunity at ISU.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
I'm sorry but in 2018 if you have to redshirt someone they aren't that good. Gone are the days of college basketball redshirting beyond a transfer unless a kid simply isn't good enough. Plus wasn't this AFTER JN played his freshman season?
Jack Nunge was the 2nd leading scorer in Iowa's game against us 2 years ago, starting ahead of Garza, after Garza had been starting in previous games. I thought he looked decent, especially for a freshman. Only non-native Iowan in double figures for Iowa in that game.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This isn't shocking news, but Iowa hoops is a trainwreck. Barta is too proud to admit he screwed up with hiring Fran. I mean do you want a guy that belittles reporters when they ask questions, chases down refs to cuss at them, slams chairs down, looks like he drinks piss every morning, and consistently falters down the stretch even when he has a decent roster.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Well done.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
First time I have set down and watched Iowa play this year, you know you are in trouble when the starting lineup is made up of 5 white kids in basketball.
Their center is a very good player, the new point guard played well, but he will have trouble seeing the floor with Mad Fan as coach, playing behind his son.

Not sure the younger son can play at this level, I know he is a freshman, with a high ranking, but he is rail thin, shows little muscle at all. Everything I have read about people that go through cancer treatment is they struggle to gain weight the rest of their lives. Plus most people fill out from that 18 to 20 age span, I looked it up, he is already 19 and will be 20 in March.

Iowa will win a few games when they are lighting it up from 3, put overall while being tall, they are not athletic at all. They will struggle when their opposition is hitting from 3 point land and they can get out and run. Typical Iowa team under the Mad Hatter

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Jack Nunge was the 2nd leading scorer in Iowa's game against us 2 years ago, starting ahead of Garza, after Garza had been starting in previous games. I thought he looked decent, especially for a freshman. Only non-native Iowan in double figures for Iowa in that game.

That's kind of my point though...if he looked decent and was a starter it's like why in the world would you redshirt. Fran's 10 year plan though...

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I assume they are as bad as one would expect a Missouri Valley program to be when competing against a major conference team? For those few that do care enough to watch, how do they continue to benefit from such a FT disparity?

Are they so overmatched that they’re flailing around and getting sympathy calls?

If they’ve found a guard that can defend and still have that center with Giantism, they could be pesky.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What I saw was a team that really misses Tyler Cook. Although never to be accused of being a lock down defender...his athletic ability alone I think covered up the many liabilities of Garza, Nunge and Kreiner.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What I saw was a team that really misses Tyler Cook. Although never to be accused of being a lock down defender...his athletic ability alone I think covered up the many liabilities of Garza, Nunge and Kreiner.

They thought they would be better without Cook and Moss. For real

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I assume they are as bad as one would expect a Missouri Valley program to be when competing against a major conference team? For those few that do care enough to watch, how do they continue to benefit from such a FT disparity?

Are they so overmatched that they’re flailing around and getting sympathy calls?

If they’ve found a guard that can defend and still have that center with Giantism, they could be pesky.
Not all of the fouls were wrong - but there were many in this game. One time, Kriener got the ball at about the FT line and just held it out in front of him. Three DePaul players knocked the ball out of his hands and a ref blew his whistle and called a foul. There were at least half a dozen bogus calls like that. The irony of this was that, shortly thereafter, A DePaul player beat Jorbo to the hoop (surprise, surprise) and Jorbo was initiating contact with his body the entire way to the hoop and NOTHING was called (should have been an and-1).

Now, I think that this is part of the game plan for Iowa - take it to the rim and get fouled and shoot more FTs than your opponent (can be a very good strategy). So, you would expect Iowa to shoot quite a few FTs. But it's the large FT discrepancy (in CHA anyway) which is truly head-scratching for me. It's like the refs don't want the Iowa bench to reach Francon 1, so they call a lot of bogus fouls on the visiting team.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO