Top 5 Childhood movies

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I think what helped it out was the fact that it was a short story/novella, same with Shawshank, and not a 1000 page novel with way too much to cram in a 2 hour movie.

From the same King book (Different Seasons):

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
The Body (Stand By Me)
Apt Pupil
(movie with Brad Renfro about a teenager who recognizes an ex-Nazi living in his neightborhood - not a bad film, actually)
The Breathing Method (which IMHO would make an excellent, creepy film)

Reactions: BuffettClone

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Funny story. I grew up behind a drive in movie theatre. So myself and the neighborkids could watch all the movies for free. We had our own radio and a fort set up in the woods right by the screen. I saw my first breasts ever at that theatre during a showing of Bachelor Party with Tom Hanks. The boys and I saw that movie 50 times just so we could see that scene. haha

Yeah, that was the same type of experience I think most of us had in the 80s with nudity. Those random scenes in 80s comedies were a gold mine. I kinda worry now that I've got kids that are approaching adolescence. This just doesn't exist in movies much anymore, and there is no softcore playboy stuff that Dad's "hid" in the garage. Instead its just the internet which can be a scary place for that type of stuff real fast.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I think what helped it out was the fact that it was a short story/novella, same with Shawshank, and not a 1000 page novel with way too much to cram in a 2 hour movie.

King's longer stories are ripe for a limited TV series spanning a couple episodes. I really liked the recent IT adaptation, but I think to do stuff like that and The Stand justice you really need to spend 10-20 episodes of a TV show getting into the detail of the story. I thought they'd be able to do that with the Under the Dome show a few years back, but it seems like they abandoned some of the stuff from the book if I recall.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The few that come to mind for me as a kid are Free Willy and the 3 Ninja Movies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, it managed to capture the feel of a King book much better than most. Some of his best writing is the stuff woven in between the horror, and that is hard to translate to film.

The anticipation throughout it and the real morbidity and relationships between the characters makes it a gem imo.

Add in some really, really good child actors that carry it.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
ET (saw in theatre and everybody clapped and cheered when ET came back to life).
Ghostbusters
Goonies
Lonesome Dove (watched mini series on CBS with parents. Awesome Western.)
Indiana Jones Trilogy (crystal skull doesn't count IMO).

Star Wars Trilogy comes in at a close 6th.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Tommy Boy
Dumb and Dumber
Billy Madison
The Sandlot
Ace Ventura

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think by today's standards for sure. Back then they weren't necessarily marketed as a movie to take kids to like Disney movies were, but they were certainly considered films that were okay for 8-12 year olds to watch. Similarly today, I don't think many people would call the Marvel movies as kids movies, but you know a lot of kids in that age range to to see them.

my parents let us watch Revenge of the Nerds and Porky's when they had friends over in the winter (they would rent the movies and bring multiple VCRs over to record them. Then they would drink, smoke and play cards all night.

in the summer we were basically feral on the weekends.. Ahhh, the 80's. Good times.