Top 40 Recruiting Class

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Looking at our incoming class and think Campbell is doing a great job bringing kids in.

Having a little trouble with people getting excited about a top 40 recruiting class. I don't think Campbell's goal is to be a top 40 team. I would think his goal is to be top 25 and perhaps top 10.

How can we build a top 10 program if we can't even get in the top 30 of recruiting classes?

I know we develop kids, but it seems like we start from a big hole athletically. How can this be overcome?

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Looking at our incoming class and think Campbell is doing a great job bringing kids in.

Having a little trouble with people getting excited about a top 40 recruiting class. I don't think Campbell's goal is to be a top 40 team. I would think his goal is to be top 25 and perhaps top 10.

How can we build a top 10 program if we can't even get in the top 30 of recruiting classes?

I know we develop kids, but it seems like we start from a big hole athletically. How can this be overcome?
Steadily improving recruiting and consistently winning. Basically what we've been doing.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

That would probably first take yrs of sustained major success (and retaining Campbell far longer than most think we can) so you probably need to find a way to get the on field successes first with the level of recruits we can get.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Go look at what Wisconsin has done.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

It is called recruiting your players and developing... Hakeem Butler (CPR recruit developed by CMC), David Montgomery, and Brock Purdy are not 4 stars but out performing their "star ranking".

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Agree. Bring in top 40 classes to keep you in the top 25. That will make you more attractive and get you top 20-25 classes. It builds on itself.

To an extent. I think once you reach a certain point, you need things like marketability and larger facility improvements to further attract that level of recruit consistently.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

It's not only about where a class is ranked when it is signed. It is much more important to see how the class does on the field.

There was an interesting article for ISU fans (I think) published in The Athletic. It re-ranks the 2015 recruiting class based on their performance over the last 4 years. This was CMC last class at Toledo. In 2015, the class was ranked 84th in country. The re-ranking had that class at #12!

Yes, it would be great to get highly regarded classes... But, much more important to get the most talent.

Note that 247sports has a roster with all of the recruiting rankings each player had when they were signed. The average ranking of ISU's RB's and WR's increased with Montgomery and Butler leaving because they had fairly low rankings when they came to Ames. Point is, rankings are not perfect only an indication. At this point, I trust CMC. Would it be nice to see a top 10 class? Sure... but really don't care as long as we keep improving, winning, and getting more talent. Likely won't really know if this is a top 10 class for another 4 years or so...

Link to article below (requires a subscription):
https://theathletic.com/797789/2019...-of-2015-ranks-four-years-later/?redirected=1

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

IH8Iowa24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2016
Plus, don't forget recruiting isn't the "end all be all..."
Dyq-PgnWsAE0k0G.jpg

isu81

Mar 6, 2013

I think what Campbell has done is show that he can both find UTR guys who fit what he's looking for and develop them. I personally wouldn't hold my breath at consistently bringing in top 25 and top 10 classes. Wisconsin was a great reference, as would, to a lesser degree, Michigan State and Iowa. Kansas State until recent years. None of them have ever had top classes, but have been consistent winners for a long time.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

His goal is a conference championship. FAIL.
His goal is national championship. FAIL.

Are Briles is available.

Take a step back and see the forest. You're stuck in front of a tree right now.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Whoa OP. So because this is an easy example just look at Iowa. They don't recruit well enough to be in the Top 25 for those rankings but they have had Top 10 finishes. Without being a Blue Blood and not being located in the South it will be challenging to consistently land classes in the Top 25 for Iowa State at this point. The wins are coming so far, but the Brand isn't built yet. A couple more 8+ wins and it will be. Then recruiting will be even better and if guys make it to the NFL it will help even more. Just remain patient and trust the process.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If you're that worried about numbers then stick to video games. 24/7 rated Rose and Purdy in the 800s. Yet they ended up Freshman all-Americans.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
CMC had teams finish in the top 25 with classes worse than the top 40. I'm excited to see what he does when the talent level increases.

Also, while we are excited about back to back winning seasons and bowl games, it takes more than that to get a top 10 class to Ames. We could win the NC and probably not bring in a top 10 class. This isn't xbox.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron