Tire Recommendations for Honda Civic

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Since the internet is always right, I thought I'd toss a couple questions out to the CF crowd regarding car tires. My wife and I have a Civic that is getting close to needing a fresh set. Currently it has the stock tires and we're hoping to get new rubber before winter since the stock tires are absolutely horrible in the snow. So...

1. - I've had some people recommending considering getting winter tires and then switching between summer and winter sets each year (or getting extra rims so I wouldn't have to find a tire place to remount the tires and instead would just switch out the entire wheel). Is this worth the hassle?

2 - Any suggestions for tire brands and/or models to consider? Unless it's definitely worth my while, I'd prefer to have something that can be used all year instead of having to switch sets twice a year. Good overall handling (almost anything will be better than the stock snow performance) and longevity are my main concerns.

3 - Any suggestions for tire places in Ames? This could be for either purchasing and mounting, or mounting-only (and purchasing from someplace online, like TireRack). Go ahead and lump any online retailer suggestions into this one, too.

Thanks!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
go to tire rack, find the highest rated ones, and get those.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think you'll be fine with all-season tires but if you decide to go with dedicated winter tires/rims, I have some winter tires/rims that have less than 1,500 miles on them and got rid of the Mazda so now they are taking up space in my garage. I think they cost me about $600 and would sell them for $200 just to get them out of my garage.

Either tires.com or tirerack.com have a place where you can put in your car and see what other owners are buying.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
1. - I've had some people recommending considering getting winter tires and then switching between summer and winter sets each year (or getting extra rims so I wouldn't have to find a tire place to remount the tires and instead would just switch out the entire wheel). Is this worth the hassle?
!
I agree with others, you probably won't find a better deal than tirerack.com. Carry the tires into Walmart and they'll put them on for you dirt cheap.

I'm struggling with your same question #1. I recently bought a new car and went merrily on my way not thinking until later it came with low profile tires. They look sweet, but there aren't many low profile tires that bite well in winter. I'm thinking of ordering a winter wheel/tire package from tire rack. Has anyone ordered one of these packages from them before?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I agree with others, you probably won't find a better deal than tirerack.com. Carry the tires into Walmart and they'll put them on for you dirt cheap.

I'm struggling with your same question #1. I recently bought a new car and went merrily on my way not thinking until later it came with low profile tires. They look sweet, but there aren't many low profile tires that bite well in winter. I'm thinking of ordering a winter wheel/tire package from tire rack. Has anyone ordered one of these packages from them before?

That's exactly what I did. I had 18" summer only tires and they were not joking. In less than 2" of snow it wouldn't move. I ended up buying snow tires with the black steel rims and it turned into being better in the winter than my wifes AWD SUV. The black steel wheels looked fine on my car since the rest of the car was black. It just made it look murdered out.

Here is what I got and like I said, someone buy these from me..

Tirerack
205/60R16 Firestone Winterforce

New Steel Wheel 16X6.5 Black Painted

Order Total:
$566.55

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Got Blizzaks last year on our Dodge Caravan. I would highly recommend them to anyone.
The package I was looking at comes with Blizzaks and black steel wheels, but they also give you some wheel covers so they look similar to your summer wheels. Price is decent too. I'll have to sell it to the Mrs. but I think long term you're really not spending more since you'll have the full life of both sets.

1Cy

Sep 5, 2011
I'd go with rubber - the wood ones are a bear in the winter

Just get this for the winter.

snapnewblow2.jpg

Jun 20, 2010
Its easy enough to get a set of steelies for a honda civic so i would go that route. I wouldnt even say you need a dedicated snow tire on them just a good mud and snow rated tire. You could probally get the steelies off of craigslist for less then 200 bucks and get the tires from wherever. Its the stock sidewall height that gets you out of those snowy messes. Good luck.

purify

Apr 1, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
I have a 03 Honda Accord, my car was terrible in the snow. So much so that my girlfriend drove my car into a ditch twice when there was snow on the ground. I decided to spend the extra cash and get snow tires and switch them out. It makes a world of difference, no question about it. I will never go a winter without snow tires again. And mud+snow tires are not the same, nor are all season. Frankly I think it's somewhat irresponsible to do heavy driving in the winter and not have snow tires. In Canada they're mandatory now.

I have the same set someone posted about, Firestone Winterforce, and I love them. For $200 with rims it's a great deal. Probably too big for your Civic, but size wise they fit the Accord, don't know about spacing. If I knew I was going to be in Iowa next winter, I'd buy them off you just as a backup set.

Blizzaks are supposed to be some of the best for Ice.

Last edited:

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
Go to the local junkyard and get 4 cheap steelies. Order some winter treads (blizzard or similar) from tire rack and have walmart mount them up for you.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I would definitely recommend having tires on your Honda Civic. But it's really a good idea for all cars.

no-tires-on-car.jpg

C

CyBer

I'm probably better off not even having a car in winter, as low profile tires don't do too well in the snow.

C

CyBer

My car just has low profile tires, it's nothing special believe me.