Tips on Buying a Smoker for a novice?

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I had some smoked meat tonight that was really good that all of my kids actually liked too. So I have decided to buy a smoker. However, after a brief look at them, it is a little more intimidating that buying a grill. Any tips/advice for someone who doesn't know what they're doing? I'd prefer to get something that is pretty easy to put together, not a whole bunch of work, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Just get you one of those $300-$400 jobs at like Fleet Supply or something. I wouldn't spend the extra money for a Yoder or a Traeger, these cheapies smoke just as well.

There are all kinds of easy to follow videos on YouTube.

Should be the right time of year to buy!

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Also, there's a group on Facebook called Smoking Meat Low and Slow that has lots of good advice and tips

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
Had a gas smoker and it worked fine. Upgraded to a green mountain pellet grill/smoker and I absolutely love how it maintains temperature which helps achieve better results smoking meat. It also works well to grill giving your grilled meats a bit of smokey flavor

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I recently bought an Oklahoma Joe's 4-in-1 smoker/grill for my first smoker. I went with the 4-in-1 because I wanted an offset smoker with gas grilling capabilities. I like it, but I wish the cooking chamber on the smoking side was bigger because I don't think I will be able to smoke a whole turkey without spatchcocking it first.

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
Probably won't be a popular opinion but before dropping a lot of money on an expensive smoker, maybe start off with an electric model and see how much you use it. I've been very happy with the stuff I've smoked.

This.

https://masterbuilt.com/product/mb20072918-digital-electric-smoker

My team gave me this as a gift several years ago. Ribs, brisket, pork butt and turkey breasts all smoked perfectly. Several flavored wood chip options to play with and have been extremely pleased with flavor of smoked meat. Only complaint is width is a little tight for a full packer brisket.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
My brother also recently bought his first smoker. Instead of a traeger, any other electric, or propane smoker, I pushed him to a charcoal smoker. I think the charcoal has more nuances to learn on vs a “set it and forget it” smoker, but not as advanced as straight wood fire smoker

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I prefer to smoke in my Weber grill.
I have a charbroil electric that I have only used a few times. I'd be more than willing to give it to you because all it's doing is taking up space.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I looked around at different options. I went with a GMG Daniel Boone pellet grill this spring. I also just bought the Davy Crocket for camping and tailgating. They are a really versitle grill/smoker. Worth checking out different pellet grill brands. They are super easy to use, no messing around, set a temp and walk away. Haven't had a bad meal come off these grills.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20181003-202201_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20181003-202201_Gallery.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 57

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I bought an electric smoker for $40.00. It's kind of a piece of crap as you can't really do very well with temperature control and the pan doesn't smoke the chips. I ended up buying a pellet smoking tube off amazon for like $15.00 and using that in the smoker has worked really well. I'd suggest doing some research, but you can get one that works well enough for under $200

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I have a Big Green Egg and a Traeger. Personally, I don't think that there's a ton to learn about smoking meat decent if you can follow the instructions/recipe. Maybe there is to doing it at a championship level, but it's not hard to do a good enough job. BGE kills the Traeger on steaks and burgers. They have a better smoke taste due to the charcoal. Plus it gets quite a bit hotter. BGE also makes a really good wood fired tasting pizza. Traeger is easier for ribs and pulled pork. Temp is just so much easier to control vs messing with the vents on the BGE. Honestly, I think the BGE is the better grill/smoker, but it's a lot more work and easier to mess things up.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
If you have a Weber kettle grill, a Slow n Sear is a great drop in attachment to turn your Weber into a smoker at half the cost. Smaller capacity, but enough for a meal. It works great for steaks and burgers on the seat side. Check out amazingribs.com for all kinds of product reviews and smoking tips.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a Big Green Egg and a Traeger. Personally, I don't think that there's a ton to learn about smoking meat decent if you can follow the instructions/recipe. Maybe there is to doing it at a championship level, but it's not hard to do a good enough job. BGE kills the Traeger on steaks and burgers. They have a better smoke taste due to the charcoal. Plus it gets quite a bit hotter. BGE also makes a really good wood fired tasting pizza. Traeger is easier for ribs and pulled pork. Temp is just so much easier to control vs messing with the vents on the BGE. Honestly, I think the BGE is the better grill/smoker, but it's a lot more work and easier to mess things up.
If you do any jerky, sticks, cheese, etc the Trager is nice because it can maintain 150.
Neighbor has an egg with a fan controller on it that has taken out a lot of the fuss.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron