Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’ll watch the ISU women, but that’s out of school pride. I don’t find women’s basketball all that entertaining of a product.

It is the style of play, but to be honest the lack of athleticism hurts it for me. A lot of the “awesome” plays I see in highlight packages, I could see going to watch my local high school. There’s nothing CC does that a good high school player couldn’t do. And the post play in women’s basketball is so below the rim almost to a comical degree.

To avoid being sexist, all those girls would kick my ass in a game of 1 on 1. I also prefer the women’s volleyball game much more than the men’s. It has longer rallies and more strategy versus the men’s game where it’s just all power all the time.

To your last point...I feel that way about tennis. Women's tennis at the top level is far more entertaining to me than the men's game at the top level. The opposite of basketball to me.

I also prefer women’s soccer to men’s. Men’s can produce crazy highlights but the tactical fouling and the way officiating has rapidly gone down hill and the introduction of VAR chopping everything up all of the time is mind numbing. I watch, but my enjoyment in the men’s game has been severely degraded over the past decade.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I enjoy women's basketball. I enjoyed watching my daughter played basketball from a young age through high school. I enjoy watching the Cyclone women play. But the WNBA has an issue. Their style of play is not very fun to watch. It is very old school. Most teams play at least two post players and the offense often runs through the post players. The WNBA games are very physical with the defenders on the perimeter are often restricting free movement. They are getting a lot of eyeballs right now, but some things will likely need to change in my opinion for them to keep them.

I watch A LOT of basketball - NCAAM, NCAAW, NBA, some international - the WNBA is tough to watch from the small sample I have watched. I think it may be partially due to a couple of things - 1. Very short training camps and player fatigue from playing overseas. It is tough to get a team to mesh in the two weeks or so of their training camps and there is no off-season work due to a majority of players playing in other leagues. 2. Questionable Coaching - I have watched a few games (wanted to see Carleton and Soares play) and the coaching / game management was ridiculous. One reason that I think that Las Vegas is back to back champs is not only the level of talent but also Becky Hammond is a very established coach and has earned the title of Head Coach, not sure many other have her coaching lineage.

Reactions: bozclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I catch Cyclone alum games in season, but come the playoffs it's time to watch top level BB being played then.

The same can be said for NFL, MLB etc. Is it always as exciting/explosive, etc? No. And I'm more excited for college football Saturdays than NFL Sundays, but it's still the best that's out there.

The reason that receiver or QB were able to go crazy in college was because the competition isn't as good and everything's harder in the pros.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think women are just as good at sports - but in a different style and way than men. However, that difference in style makes a HUGE difference in the excitement and interest in watching games. I can stand Women's College Basketball (only when ISU is playing) but cannot watch the WNBA to save a life. It's not sexism, it's just so different from what we see on the men's side.

The WNBA's problem is that they don't push out any of the "old talent". There are a ton of really good players that never even get a shot at it. Adding more teams won't make it better either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jer and bozclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I watch A LOT of basketball - NCAAM, NCAAW, NBA, some international - the WNBA is tough to watch from the small sample I have watched. I think it may be partially due to a couple of things - 1. Very short training camps and player fatigue from playing overseas. It is tough to get a team to mesh in the two weeks or so of their training camps and there is no off-season work due to a majority of players playing in other leagues. 2. Questionable Coaching - I have watched a few games (wanted to see Carleton and Soares play) and the coaching / game management was ridiculous. One reason that I think that Las Vegas is back to back champs is not only the level of talent but also Becky Hammond is a very established coach and has earned the title of Head Coach, not sure many other have her coaching lineage.

A few years ago I remember CW on his KXNO show talking how hammering the WNBA unders was the easiest money he's ever made. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

• Agree
Reactions: RagingCloner

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Guess I am the aberration here. I watched WNBA before Caitlin Clark. Don’t watch games she is in other than clips posted here. Only watched her in CyHawk and clips here in college. Kind of hard to get access except the Fever. I follow the Iowa State and Notre Dame player’s teams just like I do in the NBA, NFL, etc. And being a woman, kind of nice to see people play that are physically more like me. I am probably the only one here worrying if Skylar Diggins can turn it around again in her attempt to come back from having her second child.

I watch a lot of sports though. Watched a game 7 hockey playoff game last night. Loved watching English Premier League Sunday with all the games going at the same time. I watch disc golf on YouTube. And I love tennis, my favorite sport to play and watch.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm enjoying watching Iowa fans and the media slowly start to realize that the WNBA is completely unwatchable. Clark is a cool story and a generational talent but she won't fix that.
I had a buddy essentially say the same thing. He posted on his FB, "Well CC was amazing to watch at Iowa, and I tried to watch the WNBA but its not a good product"

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Playing in the Big 10 did little to prepare CC for the next level. Like the men, the Big 10 is not a strong conference. If CC played in a tougher conference, it may have helped her. She might have scored less points playing in a better conference, but she likely would have been a bit more battle tested for the WNBA.

Doesn't matter at this point, it is what it is.
This is just dumb. In the tournament, she played 5 straight ranked teams including 3 of the Top 6. Averaged 30/7/8 in those 5 games. During the season, she played against 10 more ranked teams and was the NPOY. She was plenty battle- tested.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I had a buddy essentially say the same thing. He posted on his FB, "Well CC was amazing to watch at Iowa, and I tried to watch the WNBA but its not a good product"
There’s no doubt it’s a crappy product. Don’t see that changing anytime soon either.

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Whatever they do, they owe it to us to extend the season to 6 months like the NBA is. I WANT MORE FOOTBALL! Seems to go by so quick and with them speeding up the game but keeping the actual start end time the same due to all the new ads, at least give us more games.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
There’s no doubt it’s a crappy product. Don’t see that changing anytime soon either.
They showed highlights this morning on GET UP after her long 3 and made it seem like this crazy amazing game because of that one shot. Then showed a few layups and then other players getting their shot blocked etc.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
They showed highlights this morning on GET UP after her long 3 and made it seem like this crazy amazing game because of that one shot. Then showed a few layups and then other players getting their shot blocked etc.
Did they show her turn her foot weird trying not to blast into another screen? That one and the clip where she just gets flattened running into Stewie just seem like never having to play defense at Iowa may expose her to injury. She could use some coaching up on defense before they kill their golden goose or else get beat a lot worse by letting her go back to just strolling down the floor on defense.

Reactions: chadly82

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Using conference strength to predict how post-college careers go is always stupid.
Yeah there are several examples in the NBA (and other pro leagues) of guys from small schools in small conferences not only sticking in the league but also becoming stars. Dame Lillard (Weber St), Steph Curry (Davidson), and Pascal Siakam (New Mexico St) just to name a few.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
WNBA is a terrible league

My favorite thing about Hawkeye fans. Non of them have ever seen a game and two games into the season they are calling for the coach to be fired. Its simply laughable
Any idea how the ratings have been? Has Caitlin been bringing more eyes to the women's game? I haven't watched yet, aside from highlights and lowlights. Seems like she is scoring with the best of them already, but is struggling in pretty much every other area imaginable. Efficiency has been dreadful.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Any idea how the ratings have been? Has Caitlin been bringing more eyes to the women's game? I haven't watched yet, aside from highlights and lowlights. Seems like she is scoring with the best of them already, but is struggling in pretty much every other area imaginable. Efficiency has been dreadful.
So far it's been a 192% increase over the league average last year for ESPN broadcasts.

CC's averages: 17 pts, 5.5 asst, 6.5 TO, 4 reb, 0.8 stl

• Haha
Reactions: Candide

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So far it's been a 192% increase over the league average last year for ESPN broadcasts.

CC's averages: 17 pts, 5.5 asst, 6.5 TO, 4 reb, 0.8 stl
Really not a bad stat line if you take your glasses off and take it at face value. It's good to see the league is garnering some more attention at least.