Them is Fighting Words

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Fighting Words

From a University President....Actually speaking about University of Idaho, and being spoken by Boise State President, but it kinda fits for Iowa and so I replaced the references.

"It troubles me that the occasion of an annual football game causes the air waves and Internet to be full of disparagement of Iowa State's students, faculty and programs, year after year,"

This is a great example of why my wife and I no longer travel to Iowa City games," It's a culture that is nasty, inebriated and civilly doesn't give our fans the respect that any fan should expect when visiting an away team. ... I don't think at Iowa State you're going to find that

What bothers me more than anything else, is that the fans are not about denigrating our athletic program. ... What bothers me personally is the denigration of our academic programming. That's what I simply can't tolerate."

He said he's seen rivalries around the country, "but I've never seen the nastiness aimed at the quality of our academic program that I find here in Iowa from the University of Iowa Hawkeyes- and as long as that goes on, why would I want to encourage a game where people don't know how to act like grownups?"

"I frankly don't care whether we ever play 'em again as long it goes,' "I don't see any reason to do it in Iowa City, but if somebody sees a reason to do it in Ames, fine.

Why would we (go to Iowa City)? I don't think our fans even like to go up there. Most of Iowa's fans are in Des Moines anyway.''

Read more: Kustra: Idaho Vandal culture is 'nasty, inebriated.' Nellis responds: 'Rivalries are meant to be fun' | Sports | Idaho Statesman

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Re: Fighting Words

Isn't this called home field advantage? It goes both ways.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Re: Fighting Words

So we are Boise State and Iowa is the Idaho Vandals? :confused:

I really don't get the point of this thread