The reason you won't find Wendy's in Europe

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My wife and I went to a Dutch island in the Caribbean, this past year on vacation.

@Angie wanted to learn some of the language before hand, so she did some Duo-lingo lessons. We both determined that Dutch is just a silly language that's a cross between German and English. For example, the Dutch word for Sandwich is "boterham" (pronounced BOAT-er-hom) which is literally translated as "butter ham".

So we're at this beautiful resort on this island, eating lunch on the beach, and the waitress is the stunningly beautiful, 6 foot tall, blonde, Dutch girl. She spoke great English and we were making chit chat about how lovely the island is. She said she was a student and lots of dutch students will spend their summers working on the island. My wife @Angie was trying to ingratiate herself a bit, by mentioning how she was impressed with how many languages that the waitress spoke (4 or 5 by my count) and mentioned that she had tried to learn Dutch herself.
The waitress seemed impressed and asked how much she could speak.

@Angie, put on the spot, just exclaimed "BOTERHAM!" loud enough for a good portion of the beach to turn and look at us.

The waitress smiled confusedly and the conversation sort of ended there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My wife and I went to a Dutch island in the Caribbean, this past year on vacation.

@Angie wanted to learn some of the language before hand, so she did some Duo-lingo lessons. We both determined that Dutch is just a silly language that's a cross between German and English. For example, the Dutch word for Sandwich is "boterham" (pronounced BOAT-er-hom) which is literally translated as "butter ham".

So we're at this beautiful resort on this island, eating lunch on the beach, and the waitress is the stunningly beautiful, 6 foot tall, blonde, Dutch girl. She spoke great English and we were making chit chat about how lovely the island is. She said she was a student and lots of dutch students will spend their summers working on the island. My wife @Angie was trying to ingratiate herself a bit, by mentioning how she was impressed with how many languages that the waitress spoke (4 or 5 by my count) and mentioned that she had tried to learn Dutch herself.

@Angie, put on the spot, just exclaimed "BOTERHAM!" loud enough for a good portion of the beach to turn and look at us.

If you pronounce boterham the wrong way, it can be confused with the word that basically means anal sex.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I've learned from infrequent business conversations with Dutch associates that they don't like Germans so they have that going for them.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Restaurants are ALL about the store manager. If you go someplace well-run, it is because the manager is really good - hiring good employees, training them right, maintaining a good environment. If you go someplace that's total chaos, its because the manager sucks.

Maybe Chick does a better job in hiring managers, or training them better once hired.

I’m pretty sure Chick-fil-A’s manager is also the franchise owner. They don’t allow their franchise owners to own more than 1, maybe 2 stores. And I think they do this to make sure the owner keeps good tabs on the store.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not sure if it's because the UK left the EU, but right now there are a half dozen Wendy's in England and plans for up to 50 within a year.
That makes sense.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Hardees and Carl's Jr. aren't actually the same restaurant-- they were different restaurants that both happened to come under the same ownership.

I know that they were bought together and merged (and their parent company tried multiple times to turn them all into Carl's Jrs before giving up). But they have identical branding, marketing, and near identical menus now, so they are functionally a single chain restaurant just with two names.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know that they were bought together and merged (and their parent company tried multiple times to turn them all into Carl's Jrs before giving up). But they have identical branding, marketing, and near identical menus now, so they are functionally a single chain restaurant just with two names.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I am unsure how the story is funnier that way than how it actually happened.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I’m pretty sure Chick-fil-A’s manager is also the franchise owner. They don’t allow their franchise owners to own more than 1, maybe 2 stores. And I think they do this to make sure the owner keeps good tabs on the store.

Yeah, I know Chik-fil-A defintly has some stringent owner requirements (don't remember them, but I think if you want to own a franchise you have to work in someone elses store for like 6+ months)

The other thing that helps CFAs speed, is a fairly simple menu. When probably 85% of your orders are nuggets, tenders, or a pre-made sandwich with only pickles on it, you don't have much customization to worry about. Makes service very efficient when you can just grab and go to fill an order.

As for service at Wendys, it depends on the manager and store for sure. I worked at one in HS in Omaha and we were constantly in rotation for top 3 (or maybe 5? It was 20 years ago) for service speed in the region. Meanwhile, the one 3 miles away was always a bottom feeder.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I read a story about how chick fil a essentially stole the "my pleasure" idea from some concierge bank their ceo was using.

Stealing the idea is easy, but how do they successfully implement it in so many stores successfully?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Dang it Janny you should have had her learn something useful like

"would you join us for drinks this evening?"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron