[Added Jason Essex] 2022 Class Breakdown

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Phillips has size and height and that’s about it. Doesn’t move well.
Yeah that's what the developmental part of College Football is. He has size you can't teach. Iowa State is a top 10 team next season but the recruiting class is still in the mid 50s so to say Iowa State does not take projects like you said earlier is silly. Every one of the LBs brought in are going to be projects lol. They have good size and potential but will need to develop. The whole 5 star culture revolves around getting lower ranked guys including projects and having them buy in and make themselves as good as they can.

Reactions: ajspatio19

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Yeah that's what the developmental part of College Football is. He has size you can't teach. Iowa State is a top 10 team next season but the recruiting class is still in the mid 50s so to say Iowa State does not take projects like you said earlier is silly. Every one of the LBs brought in are going to be projects lol. They have good size and potential but will need to develop. The whole 5 star culture revolves around getting lower ranked guys including projects and having them buy in and make themselves as good as they can.
As far as Corey Phillips goes, there are three key aspects about him involving his recruitment.

First thing, we are recruiting others (Raridon, Burkle, couple others) who are simply better than Corey Phillips is. They have offers and I guarantee that one of those guys will commit to Iowa State.
Second, we would not even know his name if he was not in state, he wouldn't be on our radar. I'm not as big on winning the state as others. I'm all for winning the talent you want no matter where it is. Being in state makes it easier to pull them in, but when you get farther down the list, it depends on ability.
Third, the staff is not dumb, they would offer him if they thought that they could transform him into something spectacular.

For me, I see the size and the athletic ability. I think he is missing the "nasty" though that other recruits have. He doesn't finish runs, he doesn't run crisp routes, I need to see the "mean" that I saw in Tyler Moore and I see in dudes like McLaughlin and Sulka

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
4L, first thanks for all your work. Really appreciate your info.

I saw you posted yesterday I think our recruiting has shifted to kids that have NFL ability. I was wondering about where we sit nationally to recruits? I'm not delusional and understand we'll likely never get to the Ohio St, Alabama, Oklahoma blue blood level. But are we closing in on the Auburn, Oregon, Florida St level or closer to Michigan St, Kentucky, Cincinnati of the world?

Guess what I'm asking is who are the schools you see us on par with on the recruiting trail based on our recent success?

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
As far as Corey Phillips goes, there are three key aspects about him involving his recruitment.

First thing, we are recruiting others (Raridon, Burkle, couple others) who are simply better than Corey Phillips is. They have offers and I guarantee that one of those guys will commit to Iowa State.
Second, we would not even know his name if he was not in state, he wouldn't be on our radar. I'm not as big on winning the state as others. I'm all for winning the talent you want no matter where it is. Being in state makes it easier to pull them in, but when you get farther down the list, it depends on ability.
Third, the staff is not dumb, they would offer him if they thought that they could transform him into something spectacular.

For me, I see the size and the athletic ability. I think he is missing the "nasty" though that other recruits have. He doesn't finish runs, he doesn't run crisp routes, I need to see the "mean" that I saw in Tyler Moore and I see in dudes like McLaughlin and Sulka
The kid from Phoenix (Tyler Powell?) would be a massive recruiting victory if we were able to land him. I think he is the #1 TE on our offer list. Marcus Peterson would be a great one to get as well.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

Too many people get obsessed with getting the Iowa kids, but you can't take them if you don't see them making you better. Campbell has a culture that is to come in and work. We are at the point where you get kids based on potential and let the culture do its work. You don't get kids based on where they grew up. Many Iowa kids will give more for the home state school, but at this point, it doesn't matter. You get the kids that want more because they want to be their absolute best. Idc if you're an Iowan, sure it makes for a good story, but we want to win and be the best Iowa State we can be. That doesn't require in state kids to do that.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
4L, first thanks for all your work. Really appreciate your info.

I saw you posted yesterday I think our recruiting has shifted to kids that have NFL ability. I was wondering about where we sit nationally to recruits? I'm not delusional and understand we'll likely never get to the Ohio St, Alabama, Oklahoma blue blood level. But are we closing in on the Auburn, Oregon, Florida St level or closer to Michigan St, Kentucky, Cincinnati of the world?

Guess what I'm asking is who are the schools you see us on par with on the recruiting trail based on our recent success?
This is a great question. We have seen the shift in In-State kids where now the recruits actually have to make a decision on which program will be better for their future.

I have definitely seen a shift on the national recruiting scene for the 2022 class. Where I use to see a lot of recruits say "I'm talking with ISU", they are now saying "I can't wait to go on a visit". The change has a lot of factors besides winning. The winning is definitely the engine of all the interest, but our staff is SO GOOD and getting in early and building a connection.

They have always been great at building connections, but now they aren't selling a dream, they are selling a reality. The staff is going to have tough decisions to make about who they want to commit, rather than the other way around.

One recruit that comes to mind is Jayden Gibson. That guy is going to be a 4 star after the next 247 ratings update. He is so damn good. He is the type of guy who would never consider us in other years. He would go to a blue blood. Now, we are one of his top schools. Will we land him? Who knows. But even being a top school for him is a referendum of the perception of the program.

I'll definitely be indicating the guys that commit that we wouldn't have landed in previous classes. Imming is one. McLaughlin would be one as well.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
The kid from Phoenix (Tyler Powell?) would be a massive recruiting victory if we were able to land him. I think he is the #1 TE on our offer list. Marcus Peterson would be a great one to get as well.
We have a lot of offers out. I think that one of the in-state guys will pounce on an opportunity at ISU.

Reactions: demoncore1031

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Too many people get obsessed with getting the Iowa kids, but you can't take them if you don't see them making you better. Campbell has a culture that is to come in and work. We are at the point where you get kids based on potential and let the culture do its work. You don't get kids based on where they grew up. Many Iowa kids will give more for the home state school, but at this point, it doesn't matter. You get the kids that want more because they want to be their absolute best. Idc if you're an Iowan, sure it makes for a good story, but we want to win and be the best Iowa State we can be. That doesn't require in state kids to do that.

Correct. All of Campbell's players bleed Cardinal and Gold by the time they step on campus.

Reactions: tyler24

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I haven’t looked at a lot of highlights lately. I can tell you, however, that last summer Eli Raridon’s dunking video impressed me even more than Fidone’s. Plus more upper body strength, and a long OL bloodline, so he’ll be a monster blocker as well.

Hope we get him—and that has nothing to do with him being an Instate kid.

Reactions: 4EverACyclone

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I haven’t looked at a lot of highlights lately. I can tell you, however, that last summer Eli Raridon’s dunking video impressed me even more than Fidone’s. Plus more upper body strength, and a long OL bloodline, so he’ll be a monster blocker as well.

Hope we get him—and that has nothing to do with him being an Instate kid.
I had heard that he was gonna end up in Iowa City so I didn't mention him. I would gladly take him and either Peterson or Powell. I think we end up landing two TEs in 2022. I also have a feeling that Tyler Moore is going to be a total badass.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I think Beau Freyler is going to be the guy that makes the most impact this year amongst the incoming freshman. I believe he will be the other gunner on punts/kickoffs with Rory Walling. I think Brown will be a 2nd draft pick by the end of his career at Iowa State. Needs some time with Coach Andrews and Coach Rasheed. Btw...Coach Rasheed doesn't get enough credit. He's done a hell of job.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I think Beau Freyler is going to be the guy that makes the most impact this year amongst the incoming freshman. I believe he will be the other gunner on punts/kickoffs with Rory Walling. I think Brown will be a 2nd draft pick by the end of his career at Iowa State. Needs some time with Coach Andrews and Coach Rasheed. Btw...Coach Rasheed doesn't get enough credit. He's done a hell of job.
By making the most impact, do you mean his first year or his over all career?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron