The game changed when.....

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
McKay toma-J-hawked that dunk and then blocked Oubre a few possessions later.

McKay made a statement we couldn't make the last few years.....

"Come into the middle at your own peril"

Nice to see we have that this year!

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
McKay, my goodness what a beast. When he blocks a shot he is somehow the first guy down on the other end of the court. Just incredibly energy.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
McKay toma-J-hawked that dunk and then blocked Oubre a few possessions later.

McKay made a statement we couldn't make the last few years.....

"Come into the middle at your own peril"

Nice to see we have that this year!

no doubt. Ellis wouldn't even attempt to go in lane when he was playing

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Agree with all. Love our depth. Love the McKay, Morris, Monte, Naz, dejean lineup. I hope Thomas accepts his role now as a sophomore......he just needs to wait until next year I think at this point...his minutes should not be much more than he got tonight until he earns them.
Naz is my favorite though.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
And don't forget when KU got a dunk, only to have us whip the ball quickly down to a sprinting McKay....HAMMER TIME!!!! My whole family was laughing soooo hard. I mean, it used to be the other way around - our Clones would make a seemingly pivotal basket, only to have KU race down the floor and score in under 5 seconds. Those types of plays can demoralize a team. (NOW, if we can only improve our FT%).

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
He looked like he got ticked off that Oubre dunked on him, he took off from under KU's basket, outran every flipping J-Hawk for that return dunk.

That was over the top of Oubre, that was just nasty to watch!

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
...when Ellis, Traylor and Selden all went to the bench in the first half with foul trouble. KU was playing pretty well (minus Selden's terrible transition defense) until all of their starting bigs had to sit. Once Lucas came in, the KU offense ground to a halt. Bless his heart, nice kid, but he was no threat to score at all and KU was limited for the last 12 minutes of the first half to a jump shooting team.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
And don't forget when KU got a dunk, only to have us whip the ball quickly down to a sprinting McKay....HAMMER TIME!!!! My whole family was laughing soooo hard. I mean, it used to be the other way around - our Clones would make a seemingly pivotal basket, only to have KU race down the floor and score in under 5 seconds. Those types of plays can demoralize a team. (NOW, if we can only improve our FT%).

I thought that this was the moment the game changed. Just as we let KU get away with a dunk, McKay sprinted down the court and took in the assist to slam it home. The energy just remarkably changed after that.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
McKay totally changes our team on both ends of the floor for the better

The offense needed a little adjusting but I think we're figuring it out. When he's in and we're clicking on offense, I think we're unbeatable at Hilton. Bring on Kentucky (so long as it's at home)

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
...when Ellis, Traylor and Selden all went to the bench in the first half with foul trouble. KU was playing pretty well (minus Selden's terrible transition defense) until all of their starting bigs had to sit. Once Lucas came in, the KU offense ground to a halt. Bless his heart, nice kid, but he was no threat to score at all and KU was limited for the last 12 minutes of the first half to a jump shooting team.

Traylor did absolutely nothing.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
McKay is now averaging OVER three blocks a game. He has lived up to expectations and dispelled some beliefs he would be a perimeter big.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
At tip. As long as we didnt make boneheaded mistakes we were in control, even with KU hitting 3Ps (chuckers) and Ellis playing out of his mind as usual. It was easy out there, we just struggled to get out of our own way at times.

FT shooting and only being able to trust Morris with the ball was KU's only chance.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
McKay is now averaging OVER three blocks a game. He has lived up to expectations and dispelled some beliefs he would be a perimeter big.

No one said he was a perimeter big. He was great, but it was correct to think he was not really going to keep us from needing to double. He is not the type of low block guy to keep guys like Ellis and Baylor's bigs from manhandling us.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Agree with all. Love our depth. Love the McKay, Morris, Monte, Naz, dejean lineup. I hope Thomas accepts his role now as a sophomore......he just needs to wait until next year I think at this point...his minutes should not be much more than he got tonight until he earns them.
Naz is my favorite though.

Best thing about that line-up is when Monte Morris passes it to himself.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No one said he was a perimeter big. He was great, but it was correct to think he was not really going to keep us from needing to double. He is not the type of low block guy to keep guys like Ellis and Baylor's bigs from manhandling us.

Some people were saying his natural position is a 3. Not trying to argue but his lack of physicalness was very exaggerated. I think some of it by people who really did see him at IHCC and he has become more what we need him to become practicing with ISU for 400+ days.

He's almost the perfect big for us the way he runs. I think he might run as fast as anybody but Monte.