The Fran fade

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
It'll be like Iowa State this next year for football. I can honestly say if we don't make the Big 12 Title again with the talent / experience we bring back, it'll be a let down.

If Iowa doesn't make an Elite 8 with this squad, it'll be a let down.

I'd say if Iowa doesn't make the Sweet 16 it would be a let down. Don't get me wrong, plenty of Iowa fans will lose their minds if we don't make the Final Four, I'm not one of them though. The fact is with the tournament if you are in the Sweet 16, you are 1 bad shooting night from elimination really, so if they get knocked off there, I'll be disappointed, but I won't lose my mind.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Michigan was not even in the preseason rankings. Is it that Iowa has just regressed and Michigan has advanced more? Sure Michigan has played fewer games than Iowa due to COVID, but their bigs have been a force and really outmuscled Garza. Even if they had Nunge for the whole game, I don't he is the difference maker in that game. I really see Michigan as a Final Four team. Playing well at the right time.
Michigan wasn't in preseason rankings and teams like Duke and Kentucky were ranked pretty high. Preseason rankings give everyone something to talk about but are otherwise pretty worthless. Iowa is about right where they were preseason so I don't think they have regressed. With the balance in the Big 10 this year, I thought 5 conference losses would put them right in the running to win it. Michigan has exceeded expectations. They lost some key guys but they also have some really good new players. Livers returning was also an unknown at one point and that obviously helps them a ton.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
The majority of Iowa fans don't want to discuss certain issues of the football team and are afraid to admit that Frank may be more responsible for Iowa's wins than Fran.
Some Hawk fans think Iowa is winning in spite of Fran to be honest.

I think Iowa's got a great team but if you don't make a run with the all time assist leader and point scorer, it will be a letdown.

Luka is responsible for Iowa's wins, and Fran recruited him, coached him, and kept him on campus for 4 years. You just don't want to give Fran any credit because you are salty about Iowa being so good, and you can't stand that Fran has built and coached this team to this spot.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Yeah I don't think COVID has done anything of significance really. Foster may, may have helped out on a couple of the close games but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.
At least Foster got this taken care of early enough to give him plenty of time to rehab and be ready for next year. I thought I heard this was something he’s been dealing with for a while....

• Agree
Reactions: Cycl0nepower

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It'll be like Iowa State this next year for football. I can honestly say if we don't make the Big 12 Title again with the talent / experience we bring back, it'll be a let down.

If Iowa doesn't make an Elite 8 with this squad, it'll be a let down.
Iowa has the horses to go to an E8 for sure. S16 matchups are usually solid so if it's a tight one with like FSU or Nova and they barely lose it's probably not a letdown.
I think team cohesiveness and experience will help a lot this March and Iowa has both.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
At least Foster got this taken care of early enough to give him plenty of time to rehab and be ready for next year. I thought I heard this was something he’s been dealing with for a while....
Prohm may have learned something from the Grill situation when it comes to that, who knows.
X needs could stand to put some weight on too.

Reactions: dexterhawk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ISU fans are really salty about Iowa's Basketball team. About the only poster on here NOT losing his mind over Iowa's basketball season is you.

I was jealous that ISU was in the Big12 and got to play in essence an entire season. That was all I was jealous of though. I mean it was only a matter of time before ISU was gonna eventually have a good season. Schools like Kansas have had their day, ISU was bound to as well.
And Iowa fans were extremely salty about Iowa State's football success.. I'm not going to go back and find your messages, so I won't dispute you saying that you were only jealous we were playing football. I doubt it, but whatever. There were different Iowa fans here every week trying to discredit Iowa State one way or another. It's essentially same thing that's happening right now and it's so dumb.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa has the horses to go to an E8 for sure. S16 matchups are usually solid so if it's a tight one with like FSU or Nova and they barely lose it's probably not a letdown.
I think team cohesiveness and experience will help a lot this March and Iowa has both.
Yeah I worded that incorrectly. It'll feel like a letdown, but in all actuality it's not. The NCAA Tournament is the crapshoot of crapshoots.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And Iowa fans were extremely salty about Iowa State's football success.. I'm not going to go back and find your messages, so I won't dispute you saying that you were only jealous we were playing football. I doubt it, but whatever. There were different Iowa fans here every week trying to discredit Iowa State one way or another. It's essentially same thing that's happening right now and it's so dumb.
This isnt hard (TWSS), Iowa is probably a 2.5 seed right now IMO. They're good.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018

Yeah you got lots of people that success from their rivals really bothers them. Maybe cause I have been watching Wisconsin dominate Iowa in football year after year it just didn't cause me much angst that ISU had a good year. Like I said it was way overdue frankly, just the odds of it taking that long to have that good of season is pretty mind boggling really.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah you got lots of people that success from their rivals really bothers them. Maybe cause I have been watching Wisconsin dominate Iowa in football year after year it just didn't cause me much angst that ISU had a good year. Like I said it was way overdue frankly, just the odds of it taking that long to have that good of season is pretty mind boggling really.
Well you don't get a tag as one of the worst programs in CFB for only having a few bad years.. We had to be bad for a long time. Lucky for us we're not anymore. Unlucky for us, we're now awful in a sport we were good at.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
ISU being down has very little to do with COVID and a whole lot to do with Prohm.
You can't give Steve all the credit. We were playing with 6 scholarship guys for a week or two, plus with all the new faces, you really would have liked to play some of those freebies in November so the guys could gel quicker. We had a couple lined up in December that covid cancelled also. I truly do think that in a normal season, while still not a tourney team, we probably go at least 10,11,12 win range like last season.

• Optimistic
Reactions: dexterhawk

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You can't give Steve all the credit. We were playing with 6 scholarship guys for a week or two, plus with all the new faces, you really would have liked to play some of those freebies in November so the guys could gel quicker. We had a couple lined up in December that covid cancelled also. I truly do think that in a normal season, while still not a tourney team, we probably go at least 10,11,12 win range like last season.

So ISU would be really bad no matter what. Got it.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Are you Steve’s agent?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Luka is responsible for Iowa's wins, and Fran recruited him, coached him, and kept him on campus for 4 years. You just don't want to give Fran any credit because you are salty about Iowa being so good, and you can't stand that Fran has built and coached this team to this spot.
Fran also plays his own kids a combined 35+ mpg and they combine to average something like 7 points 5 Reb and 4 Ast and are slow and useless defensively. He also threw a not-ready FR point guard to the wolves (wolverines*) last week for no apparent reason at all. He does weird things with his lineups and ignores talent for lesser talent.

Luka is certainly big enough to hide the elephant in the room, but only for a couple more weeks.

Nate STANley

Feb 4, 2021
What do you mean trying to knock and an insult? Just stating facts. You even said what I said in how Michigan is playing right now. Would love to see them face Gonzaga in the final game.
You acted like saying Michigan making it to the final four is a hot take when literally everybody has them making the final four. You’re saying Iowa “regressed” to the #5 team, while a top 2 team and an almost certain final four contender “advanced more”. Wow what analysis that was, well done.

• Dumb
Reactions: cycloner29

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The only reason we would have more wins in a regular year is because we'd get to play a few more teams like Arkansas Pine Bluff and Jackson State.
A few more cupcake wins and I think with the added time to practice/gel I think we'd be at 2-3 Big 12 wins right now as well. Still in last place, or 9th at best.