Texas & Oklahoma leaving in 2024, period.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Just stop. The Big12 is not promoting a G5. If SDSU is better than half of the PAC like you think, they would already be in the PAC.
It is reassuring to know that we shouldn't have to get G5's anymore IMO. I don't really have an issue with the ones we added because of their markets.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Just stop. The Big12 is not promoting a G5. If SDSU is better than half of the PAC like you think, they would already be in the PAC.
I didn't say they're better than half the pac. For one Oregon, Washington, Stanford,Cal,and Utah aren't coming to the big12 because they don't want to. OSU and WSU aren't wanted by the conference. That leaves the 2 Arizona schools and Colorado. I'm saying SDSU is worth mentioning if those 3 are. Whole thing stinks in my opinion.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I didn't say they're better than half the pac. For one Oregon, Washington, Stanford,Cal,and Utah aren't coming to the big12 because they don't want to. OSU and WSU aren't wanted by the conference. That leaves the 2 Arizona schools and Colorado. I'm saying SDSU is worth mentioning if those 3 are. Whole thing stinks in my opinion.
They may not want to leave now, but things change. The Big 12 can stay at 12 schools if we want. For the first time in this modern realignment era we aren't in a position where we have to expand to survive and need to pick the least worst expansion candidates. Going forward we only expand if/when it makes sense. Personally I'm not totally sold on the Arizona schools or Colorado but any of them are orders of magnitude better than San Diego State.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Cal and Stanford, the latter to a lesser degree, coupled with Utah due to BYU being in, all three bring little to the B12 which should be pursuing UofA, ASU, Oregon, and UW. Three of those four are flagship universities. The state of California is lost to the B10.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Do you live in SD? Because then I would get why you would want them. Otherwise they are worthless.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Hindsight being 20/20, I wish we would have added BYU and Cincinnati and stopped at 10 schools. Then we could go right to 16 with the four corner schools plus Oregon and Washington if Yormark managed to attract them.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Hindsight being 20/20, I wish we would have added BYU and Cincinnati and stopped at 10 schools. Then we could go right to 16 with the four corner schools plus Oregon and Washington if Yormark managed to attract them.
Even the PAC doesn’t want to stay at 10. They would just add SDSU and Houston and probably be fine. SMU being one of their best options is their big problem.

Reactions: Clonedogg

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Not sure why the ending to Dr Stranglelove popped into my head reading this thread but it seems appropriate for Texas' exit. Probably because they kill everything they touch.

Good to Texa$$ and the SEC.(You're gonna need it)

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Oregon, Washington and utah might not want to join the Big12 but they might not have an option. It’s either Big12 or zombie pac12 with a horrific media deal.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Big 12 to Utah and Colorado right now
200w.gif

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Oregon, Washington and utah might not want to join the Big12 but they might not have an option. It’s either Big12 or zombie pac12 with a horrific media deal.
Oregon and Washington may be what crushes the PAC. They know they aren’t getting a good deal so they want unequal revenue sharing. They could very likely force some pac schools out to a better life(and more money) in the Big12, and maybe Utah sticks around with them. They will make more money than all the new additions and have an easy path to the playoffs.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Oregon and Washington may be what crushes the PAC. They know they aren’t getting a good deal so they want unequal revenue sharing. They could very likely force some pac schools out to a better life(and more money) in the Big12, and maybe Utah sticks around with them. They will make more money than all the new additions and have an easy path to the playoffs.
Oregon and Washington could very easily become the OU and UT of the P12. They want extra money and the special treatment that they think they should get, or much like the two former B12 schools, they will start with the garbage "without us, this whole league would get nothing from TV!" and "You other schools owe us for not leaving."

When this starts the four corners schools will look for something that the B12 schools never really had, a safe landing zone to leave the conference.

Let the carnage begin.

Last edited:

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Utah is like the kid in high school who desperately wants to hang out with a certain group and once they get invited they will do almost anything even if it’s to their own detriment.

Reactions: HouClone

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
There are no G5 schools worthy of discussion. It doesn't matter how big of a city they are in (see #2). It doesn't matter how cool it would be to go to an away game there. At best, your preferred G5 school is the 11th best option on the table right now, and 25th best option over the next 15 years.
There's a number of G5's Id rather take than Cal TBH

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Exactly. For the PAC, the $64M question is can they make UW and UO happy enough in terms of unequal revenue sharing without pushing the "middle class" (AZ, ASU, UU, maybe CU) into the arms of the Big12? WSU and OSU will do whatever to make it work, and Stanford and Cal probably don't really gaf either way.

If they can (on the backs of WSU, Cal, and OSU taking a reduced share - plus maybe a couple adds like SMU and SDSt that will happily take a smaller share) - then the PAC will survive a while. Heck, maybe they could even lose some of that middle class, and add a couple more G5s with reduced shares, but what a conference that would be... two titans and a bunch of pygmies.

This all assumes they can get a deal worth enough to make ANYONE happy. If that fails and they get an offer of like $25M (the latest number rumored) then the Big12 even has a shot at UO and UW, plus any others the Big12 might want. The smaller the media deal, the more unequal the revenue share has to be, and the less stable the whole thing is. And if they could have got $40M per, it would have happened by now.

I think the odds are more likely 4 teams jump to the Big12 than not. But then, I have been wrong a lot about expansion, so wtf do I know?

Help Support Us

Become a patron