Task Force Recommendation for VEISHEA

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Really? When was the last time we had to tear-gas a football tailgate? Or a car was overturned?

What did you "participate" in - during VEISHEA?

Oh you know, there have actually been cases of cars overturned the past few years during the football season: Iowa and okie state game, there are arrests and excessive boozing every home game, there is vandalism I.e couches/dumpsters burning on occasion.

I participated in the binge drinking, but also would play in the tournaments, went to parade, ate at the vendors, went to the comedy shows, and also worked in the bars during it. Never took a role in vandalism, rioting, etc. Thanks for asking.

need any other information?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Oh you know, there have actually been cases of cars overturned the past few years during the football season: Iowa and okie state game, there are arrests and excessive boozing every home game, there is vandalism I.e couches/dumpsters burning on occasion.

I participated in the binge drinking, but also would play in the tournaments, went to parade, ate at the vendors, went to the comedy shows, and also worked in the bars during it. Never took a role in vandalism, rioting, etc. Thanks for asking.

need any other information?

No - I think I understand you plenty well. Thanks.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
This has kinda already been touched on but I want to give my perspective on it.

The student group I'm involved with spent months getting things ready for a display to show ourselves off to students and the community. We were hoping to recruit new members and hopefully do some fundraising by getting sponsors or donors from people in the community. Obviously that got shot down and we didn't get that opportunity.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Just have to point out that Veishea was not just fraternities and sororities in my days at ISU (79-83); residence halls were very involved. Yes, that has all changed.

Oh, gosh, that means we were at ISU for a couple of the same years. I lived in a "dorm" and while not many of us did the float thing, there were some joint dorm/Greek floats IIRC.

Also, VEISHEA (hate the no caps look now) was not really for us. It was for potential ISU students and their families. Heck, I remember people I knew then who went home to work or to look for summer jobs that weekend. VEISHEA was in mid-May or so, prime job-hunting time back then.

And, it was not a weeklong event, even though we did get out of classes at the end of the week. Enlarging and lengthening VEISHEA over the years made it into a monster, in my opinion. Those in charge kept trying to include and please every student, so late night concerts and multiple pancake breakfasts and lunches "with purchase of a pin" had varying degrees of success. The event had strayed from its original purpose, and really couldn't find its way back.

Straying wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but too much had happened to allow a return to the original anyway.

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Just have to point out that Veishea was not just fraternities and sororities in my days at ISU (79-83); residence halls were very involved. Yes, that has all changed.

I just graduated two months ago and was not Greek. Throughout my time at ISU, I always thought of VEISHEA like a Homecoming for the whole campus, while Homecoming itself was pretty much confined to the Greeks. Along those lines, many of my older friends (also not Greek) would try to come back to campus for VEISHEA instead of Homecoming.

The existence of VEISHEA has allowed our Homecoming to live as something else than it otherwise would have - frankly, something smaller and kind of exclusive - and I worry that tossing it away without a good replacement will sever an opportunity for alums to stay connected with the university.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I just graduated two months ago and was not Greek. Throughout my time at ISU, I always thought of VEISHEA like a Homecoming for the whole campus, while Homecoming itself was pretty much confined to the Greeks. Along those lines, many of my older friends (also not Greek) would try to come back to campus for VEISHEA instead of Homecoming.

The existence of VEISHEA has allowed our Homecoming to live as something else than it otherwise would have - frankly, something smaller and kind of exclusive - and I worry that tossing it away without a good replacement will sever an opportunity for alums to stay connected with the university.

Veishea always felt like a spring homecoming with the number alumni, albeit not as many as in the fall, coming back to town. I loved it,

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Saw on Twitter that President Leath will announce his decision regarding VEISHEA at a press conference Thursday morning at 10:30.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Saw on Twitter that President Leath will announce his decision regarding VEISHEA at a press conference Thursday morning at 10:30.
As if it was in the air what his decision is going to be..

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Later VEISHEA. ISU is a business, and VEISHEA had become bad for business.