Tampa 2 Defense

Lanny

Apr 10, 2006
Kimberling City, MO
Maybe I am wrong, but I believe that there are major differences between what is described as the Tampa 2 and the cover 2 a lot of teams run (and ISU tended to play a deep cover 2, or a cover 3 even I think).

One of the biggest is that most teams trying to use Tampa's blue print are aggressive at corner at the line of scrimmage and try to jam receivers, especially the outside receivers trying to force them inside. The cover 2 ISU played last year was more of a soft cover 2, and i almost never recall an ISU corner trying to jam a receiver at the line. Also, the defense typically wants to get a lot of pressure from the front 4 without blitzing.

Also, I believe that the outside linebackers dont play as deep in the Tampa 2, but the middle linebacker is typically expected to cover a lot of ground down the middle of the field. THe weak points of the defense are typically the toughest/most dangerous to throw to, the outsides of the field, in front of the safetys but behind the corners, and right down the middle (especially to active tight ends typically).

The defense expects a lot of push right up the middle from the d-tackles and a good edge pass rush as well as fast linebackers who can go sideline to sideline, and safetys who cover a lot of ground. Also, for the defense to be successful, the linebackers and safetys must punish receivers over the middle. Giving shifty receivers space in the middle can be a concern if this defense isnt executed correctly.

I am just basing my opinions of this defense on what I watch, so anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

rooster

Apr 11, 2006
We did run a lot of cover 2 last year and what drove me crazy was that 10 yard cushion we'd give the WRs. You're absolutely right that it is essential that the cornerbacks try to jam the wideouts at the line and knock them off their routes. And as far as positions go, this defense, especially at linebacker, values speed over size and with the coverage responsibilites of the MLB, I expect to see Carper playing there. I think Carper - Middle, Bowen - Weakside, and Banks - Strongside (covers the Tight End) Also Rubin will probably still play the Nose tackle since you need a lot of size there to occupy a guard and a center. The other tackle spot in cover 2 or 1 gap scheme is called the under tackle, or 3 technique. He lines up in the gap between the center and guard and his responsibility is usually not to tie up blockers, but to simply try to penetrate through the gap and get to the QB or disrupt the play. Ususually a smaller/quicker DT and very important position in this defense. This is the Warren Sapp/Tommie Harris position. I think we may start to hear about Stephon Dale in this position as he seems to have the attributes to fit it moreso that our other DTs.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Skladany ran a bunch of cover 2 over the last few years. The '05 team was statistically one of the best defenses ISU has ever had. That success was mainly due to the strength and experience up the middle:
Leaders, Curvey,
Dobbins
Paris, Moser

Last season we had to replace everyone up the middle but Curvey. There was little push in terms of a pass rush, but the guys up front did a descent job of slowing down the run. If the guys in the middle aren't forcing double teams, then they're not really helping the ends or the blitzing backers. Probably one reason we didn't blitz much last year. I'll be interested to see improvement on the line, any defense will break if the QB feels no pressure.

McKenzie did a ok job in the middle, but he was out of position a lot in pass coverage. How many times did the opposition drag a TE or RB over the middle to pick up a 3rd and long? I think he had the tools to play the middle, but he was still pretty rough compared to Dobbins. I'm sad he's apparently decided to take his experience and athleticism to another school. Maybe Carper inside would work, but I'm apprehensive given his injury and ability to cover passes.

The biggest problem last year was the revolving door at safety. Seems like we tried 5 different guys back there as the season went on, and they really had some problems with assignments. It's hard when you've got injuries, inexperience, or just plain playing out of your natural position. As a result, there was a huge drop-off from Paris and Moser. Our safeties did a decent job of keeping things in front of them, but their names were rarely called in run support or help over the middle. I don't know how much was scheme or technique, but our corners rarely seemed to know when they had safety help in order to gamble and jump a route. It's hard to feel confident going for a pick if you don't know if the safety will be in position to bail you out.

Everything said, last years defense was not as bad as the record or stats would lead you to believe, and the cupboard is by no means bare. Our offense could not sustain drives, or capitalize on field position the D handed them. Our D was on the field waaaaay more than they should have been. I hope Chizik and company can restore their confidence and add enough wrinkles to build on the recent success Mac and Skladany started. We've come a long way on the defensive side of the ball since Mac took over for Walden in '95.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Lastuvka,
I love your stuff...could you go to the next level and put little men on the picture and animate them? Just kidding, nice post.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
Lastuvka,
I love your stuff...could you go to the next level and put little men on the picture and animate them? Just kidding, nice post.

Haha thanks man, it's not groundbreaking material but I figure when our guys take the field next year, some CF fans at the game will see our defense and say, "I know what they're doing!"

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I;m not so sure we should get so excited about the Tampa 2. It has been around for a while and the reason the Bears are so good at it is because they have the fastest MLB in the league.
Also, I don't know how much we will run it early on. I had the chance to listen to Coach Koonz talk at a clinic and he said we will be a primarily cover 4 team with enough cover 2 to keep teams honest. He never mentioned anything about ISU running the Tampa 2.
He also said our corners would have to be more physical and gone are the days of having cover corners at ISU. They will play at 5-7 yards and will be very involved in the run game.

Scirocco

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for taking the time to post this info. Great stuff!

What differentiates cover 2 from what ISU has run in the past is the corners. ISU corners played well off the reciever. Cover 2 corners will play up in the recievers grill. Hence the "cover" (corners). The "2" implies the safeties.

Yes, the middle linebacker has to be fast in order to cover deep middle routes. Iowa was able to exploit that area some in their bowl game w/Texas.

OLB's do have to be fast to stop the runningbacks from getting outside. However, you will see the safeties come up and support the run, so they need to be fast and hard hitting as well.

I think we are all ready to see less cushion given to the recievers. :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron