T.J. Tampa projected as first round pick going into NFL Combine

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Wow... a ton of bad takes in the first few pages of this thread. I accept all apologies now.

All I said was I didn't see him as a 1st round pick.

I want him to prove everyone, especially me, wrong though. Rooting for him big time!
Fans tend to overrate their own players, just human nature.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Fans tend to overrate their own players, just human nature.

Agree. And I have no problem with that... just be honest about it.

I want all Cyclone athletes to be drafted in the 1st round.... duh... who doesn't? Wanting that to happen, and being honest about what you really think are two different things.

• Agree
Reactions: Darius Bieber

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If Mel Keiper can be that far off, I’m not sure why you’re on the case of a bunch of Cyclone fans for being off as well.
We should believe in our players. Frankly for the first time ever ISU players have been major contributors in the NFL and most of them have outperformed their perceived value going into the draft. It's fair at this point to say the NFL is misevaluating talent that is coming out of ISU since coach CMC has gotten here.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

I want all Cyclone athletes to be drafted in the 1st round.... duh... who doesn't? Wanting that to happen, and being honest about what you really think are two different things.
Yeah **** those cyclone fans for wanting him to go first round. You are the victim here, I hope you recover.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

I still remember the year someone tried to say ISU would have 8 players drafted. I think it ended up being 4, which was fantastic, especially for Iowa State. Some people just can’t take the cyclone colored glasses off.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
When every NFL team (except SF) missed on future starters Lazard and Purdy, I decided my Cardinal colored glasses were just fine.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
This is a weird debate to me. It's not like it was just Iowa State fans saying "this guy is awesome, he's going 1st-round" and the rest of the world had him projected as an UDFA. Kiper was way off obviously but plenty of national outlets were projecting TJ as a sure-thing 2nd-rounder.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I really have a hard time understanding how teams selected 8-9 guys over TJ in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Either I am not aware of something, or I am really biased. When someone is sitting as the #1 available player for a significant amount of time and they are choosing other CB's, that's a red flag. Did the combine hurt him that much?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
When every NFL team (except SF) missed on future starters Lazard and Purdy, I decided my Cardinal colored glasses were just fine.

Didn't Lazard have a down year last season?

He had a good fit at GB but we'll see if he sticks in NY. He needs a run game.

Are there other examples of an ISU player outperforming their draft position?

Help Support Us

Become a patron