Strange Picture

BigCycloneFan

May 15, 2006
East Coast
I actually have this program. I was fortunate enough to collect a few through the years.

Just to offer some closure on this:
two helmet colors - red was the honor helmet. Everyone pretty much summed this up: players did not like.

Stadium was Cyclone Stadium, Jack Trice Field. Sometime in the early '80s the "Jack Trice Field" was added after a successful petition campaign. I remember people walking around the parking lots collecting signatures.

Criner was hired for his offensive mind. His first season showed what might have been with a strong offense led by David Archer. Unfortunately, that was the offensive highlight during the Criner years. '84-85 our defense actually carried us through for the few victories we had. Braswell and Gibson were absolute studs! Luebbers actually played with the Giants until he blew out his knee. These guys shut down OU in the first night game at JTS, however we could not score enough and lost 12-10. I think Luebbers may have ended up on the cover of SI after that game. Cool pic of him jumping up to knock down a pass. I believe the offense started to show up again in '86, however Criner ran into a few NCAA violations that helped send him packing.

In my opinion, people do not generally remember the good defenses, as they did not pull off enough wins. As a high school kid in IA, many of us idolized the Cyclones in that picture.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Braswell and Gibson were absolute studs! Luebbers actually played with the Giants until he blew out his knee. These guys shut down OU in the first night game at JTS, however we could not score enough and lost 12-10.

Didn't Gibson play with the Lions to start out and end up playing in the super bowl with the Chargers??
Here's the thing I remember about that game...we were leading in the 4th quarter with OU backed up in their own end and Steve Sewell ran some kind of end around or reverse and either scored or took it almost all the way. One thing about Sewell, I stood next to him, and each of his thighs seemed bigger around than his waist. In fact, alot of the OU players were built that way!!

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
wow this thread takes me back. i can remember(or else im just delusional in the head) watching cyclone game re-airs on sunday nights after the news on channel 5.
This woulda been late 80's. They were terrible for sure in those days. Sounds like Criner had a few decent things going for him before Walden

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It's just at that time that OU and Nebraska and Colorado were so good that they would beat us by 50 to 60 points. We could beat KU, KSU, and Missouir some years. Iowa Beat us every year. So we would have 4 losses going into the season. We would pick up 1 or 2 with a crap team. So we would end up with 5-6 wins a year. Just because you won 6 games back then did not mean anything. No bowl for a team with 6 wins. You had to earn the bowls back then. oh year and Jeff Braswell got screwed. I will say that every time I speak of the olden days. The guy was nails though. His senor season he lead the team out of the locker room and on to the field every game. Even though he knew he would never strap on the helmet again. jeff Braswell rules.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I plan on it. I want to head out and get some after pictures of some areas, showing the then and now. Believe it or not, Ebay is a great place to get old photos from around town. I just save them on my computer. Although you can do alot of searching everywhere else.

redrocker, have you ever heard of Farwell Brown?? He is kind of Ames unofficial historian, and there is a room in the public library with all the stuff he donated. He worked at the DOT for many years and has been retired for quite a while. Anyway, he has TONS of photos and other stuff, as well as writings, that you might be interested in.
You'll come up with alot of interesting stuff...for instance, the house you moved from used to be a driving range!!

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
We could beat KU, KSU, and Missouir some years. Iowa Beat us every year.

Knownothing, do you remember the Kansas State coach, and I think it was Jim Dickey, who redshirted his entire senior class one year and basically trashed the season, but the next year they went to a bowl? They were always the doormat of the conference except that one year!!! And they returned to doormat the next year after the bowl and he was fired.