Storm Article on Poppens

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
This is really disappointing, I haven't had interest in the WNBA and this will continue apparently.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Pop's went from a little recruited HS baskeball player to being drafted in the first round. Great story! she has got options but for now they do not inlude the WBNA.
I think she'd make a great coach, if she has any interest. Fiery personality, seems be very caring and kind, very motivated, knowledgeable, and likely very insistent on 100% effort.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Unfortunate in many ways. Pop is leaps and bounds better than Bravard. Too bad for the Storm; they are really missing out, not only on Pop but on thousands of Cyclone fans who would have followed them. Too bad for the WNBA. It's a sad picture when there is not room for a player like Pop. Just when you thought you might have a reason to get excited about the league.

Best wishes to Pop on getting interest by another team or pursuing other career options.

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Unfortunate in many ways. Pop is leaps and bounds better than Bravard. Too bad for the Storm; they are really missing out, not only on Pop but on thousands of Cyclone fans who would have followed them. Too bad for the WNBA. It's a sad picture when there is not room for a player like Pop. Just when you thought you might have a reason to get excited about the league.

Best wishes to Pop on getting interest by another team or pursuing other career options.
The problem is Seattle is so far away from Iowa and they have quite a lot of fans in Seattle, so they might think that they don't really need additional fans.
Even Minnesota Lynx made a huge blunder when refusing to trade up to draft their local star, Lindsay Whalen and paid a huge price for it.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Gee, guess I'm the only one who likes watching the WNBA - with or without ISU players. Love the unselfish team ball, no players pouting or glaring at refs if they don't get a call, and where coaches, not players, are the boss.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Gee, guess I'm the only one who likes watching the WNBA - with or without ISU players. Love the unselfish team ball, no players pouting or glaring at refs if they don't get a call, and where coaches, not players, are the boss.

There are some players in the WNBA that do whine to the refs, but in general there is much more respect between coaches and players, and more team ball. Actually, WNBA is very good bball to watch. Elite players playing quality team ball.

NCAA should pay attention to how clean the WNBA game is too. It isn't slap um, sock um, crap we see in college, and if college wbb doesn't clean up some soon, it will continue to lose fan interest. Let's face it, attendance is down at a lot of schools, including the National Champions for goodness sake.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
NCAA should pay attention to how clean the WNBA game is too. It isn't slap um, sock um, crap we see in college, and if college wbb doesn't clean up some soon, it will continue to lose fan interest.

Which is why it's comical to see the same officials doing games at both levels. The rules regarding physical play cannot be that much different.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Just because Pop doesn't get to play this year, doesn't mean she won't be picked up later in the season, or develop her game more overseas and return with opportunity to play in the WNBA. If she continues to work on her 3-point shot, or mid-range jumper, and can be more of a 4 type player in the league, she has a good shot at making it.

Heck many elite players don't make the WNBA their rookie year. Overseas is where the development needs to occur. With her work ethic, and her desire, it could still happen for her. I just think she needs better shooting capabilities at this level to be legit. That is why I actually felt Anna was the better prospect, she has the height to play inside, and the shot outside, and we just saw the tip of the iceberg of what her potential was this season as she was finally healthy and benefiting from weight training, coaching, and practice.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Which is why it's comical to see the same officials doing games at both levels. The rules regarding physical play cannot be that much different.

Honestly, I think it is in part to the fact that the players are so much better, most all the players have sound fundamentals, and most teams have 5 good scorers on the court, and at least 2 exceptional ball handlers, that the double/triple hack um slack up, press um style just doesn't work. And "fouls" simply are more obvious.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It's fun to watch the WNBA teams that have elite point guards drive and distribute the ball. But unlike others who posted above, I generally see more individual play and not unselfish team play, and that is the biggest frustration for me watching WNBA games. And some of the players are just not that likable.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
It doesn't matter to me what they do or how well they play, they won't get my dollar until some ISU girls are playing for them. I am a tribal person, ISU is my tribe, I have no members of my tribe in WNBA. It is the same in all pro sports except baseball, we don't have a baseball team at ISU.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
No, you're not the only one. I actually have gone to several games and like the atmosphere. generally I find a lot of players have good attitude instead of acting like diva - Angel McCoughtry probably is one exception.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Well, poop! I was going to set up an alumni outing when the Storm came to the Twin Cities to play the Lynx. :sad:

I wonder if she is interested in playing overseas since I am sure she can if she wants to.

DITTO ON COMING TO SEE HER PLAY IN MINNY.