Storm Article on Poppens

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Saw this article on Facebook. I really hope for Poppens. If one of the girls makes it in the pros, I will try to start watching WNBA which I have never done before. No ISU, no watch. There, I hope that helps.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Sounds like it may be tough to make the team but Pop never backed down before! Crossing our fingers and best of luck Iowa Girl!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I'm guessing it comes down to Pop and Cierra Bravard (unless I missed it and Bravard was already cut). I think the Storm will keep Alysha Clark, and hopefully Pop. Bravard is a 6-4 forward out of Florida State. Hers and Pop's preseason stats for the 2 games are about equal, so not much to go on there. Hopefully, Pop is impressive and aggressive in practice. Maybe her experience playing Griner will help.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I'm guessing it comes down to Pop and Cierra Bravard (unless I missed it and Bravard was already cut). I think the Storm will keep Alysha Clark, and hopefully Pop. Bravard is a 6-4 forward out of Florida State. Hers and Pop's preseason stats for the 2 games are about equal, so not much to go on there. Hopefully, Pop is impressive and aggressive in practice. Maybe her experience playing Griner will help.

It should be a clear choice of Pop between these two. I think Bravard finished her career very strong after getting her body in better shape; so credit to her for that. But she is not the athlete that Pop is, and does not have the upside that Pop has for continued development. Given that much is said about the speed and physicality of the WNBA, it's hard to imagine Bravard's two inches in height beating out Pop's athleticism and tenacity.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Pop probably has more athleticism than any previous Cyclone to tryout for the WNBA. Her strength, quickness around the basket, and ability to run floor has to be keeping her in the mix. Plus she can now make a free throw. Alger probably sees a lot of upside there as well.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think Pop's two biggest attributes are heart and a nasty streak.
I would agree with that. She would never complain about "thug ball," but instead she thrived in it. As far as athleticism, I think Brittany Wilkins was our most athletic post player. She also stayed the longest in the WNBA.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Still waiting. I'm nervous. This afternoon is the deadline when teams need to have 11 players.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Is it just ISU players that get drafted and don't make the final cut, or is this the norm in the WNBA. So, Poppens gets drafted in the first round and all it gets her is an opportunity to tryout for one team? The WNBA draft seems pointless to me.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Is it just ISU players that get drafted and don't make the final cut, or is this the norm in the WNBA. So, Poppens gets drafted in the first round and all it gets her is an opportunity to tryout for one team? The WNBA draft seems pointless to me.

Second round. And it is the norm. Only 12 teams, only 11 players per roster. It's very hard to make a roster

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, poop! I was going to set up an alumni outing when the Storm came to the Twin Cities to play the Lynx. :sad:

I wonder if she is interested in playing overseas since I am sure she can if she wants to.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Pop's went from a little recruited HS baskeball player to being drafted in the first round. Great story! she has got options but for now they do not inlude the WBNA.