State of ISU MBB if we had hired Otz instead of Prohm?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Prohm had a team with 6 NBA players and went 10-8 in the B12 for 5th place.

St. Fred the Anointed had a team with six NBA players that didn’t win the Big 12 either and then lost to a terrible UAB team. Hate on that coaching job, too?

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
St. Fred the Anointed had a team with six NBA players that didn’t win the Big 12 either and then lost to a terrible UAB team. Hate on that coaching job, too?
No, he went 12-6 and finished 2nd in conference. Eustachy won the conference and lost to the team that shall not be mentioned, was he a bad coach? What about Bennett losing to a 16 seed, he must not know anything about coaching.

The tournament history is littered with good teams with good coaches that vastly under performed. A 1 and done scenario doesn't paint the whole picture of a teams performance. I'd give more weight to how they do in conference. What do you think would be a reasonable conference finish given the team that Prohm inherited that year?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
No, he went 12-6 and finished 2nd in conference. Eustachy won the conference and lost to the team that shall not be mentioned, was he a bad coach? What about Bennett losing to a 16 seed, he must not know anything about coaching.

The tournament history is littered with good teams with good coaches that vastly under performed. A 1 and done scenario doesn't paint the whole picture of a teams performance. I'd give more weight to how they do in conference. What do you think would be a reasonable conference finish given the team that Prohm inherited that year?

By "inherited" if you are talking Prohm's first year............Naz went down and McKay went AWOL because Steve made him go to class. And since this is a what if we had hired TJ instead thread.......I doubt he does any better than 10-8 in that scenario especially being a first year coach.

And the "1 and done scenario" not being important......................then what was all the gnashing of teeth when they lost to Ohio State in 2019?

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
By "inherited" if you are talking Prohm's first year............Naz went down and McKay went AWOL because Steve made him go to class. And since this is a what if we had hired TJ instead thread.......I doubt he does any better than 10-8 in that scenario especially being a first year coach.

And the "1 and done scenario" not being important......................then what was all the gnashing of teeth when they lost to Ohio State in 2019?

McKay didn’t go awol because Steve made him go to class. McKay went awol because Steve doesn’t know how to coach.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Sig.......once again the usual suspects are arguing between 12-6/10-8. The 12-6 team with a full roster gets ousted in the first round by U of Who. The 10-8 team down Naz Long and makes the sweet sixteen and do you know what proves better coaching.......2 more conference wins.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
McKay didn’t go awol because Steve made him go to class. McKay went awol because Steve doesn’t know how to coach.

Well s***............I heard he didn't want to practice either. So a know nothing coach forcing a player to practice and go to class. Shoot, if I was McKay I would have rioted!

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Well s***............I heard he didn't want to practice either. So a know nothing coach forcing a player to practice and go to class. Shoot, if I was McKay I would have rioted!

This is just further proof Prohm couldn’t manage/coach his team. It culminated in year 6 with a 0-22 record versus non swac opponents.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclones125

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

I don’t necessarily disagree with your premise that Fred’s last team underachieved in the tournament. But 12-6 in the conference was a solid #2. That team was #83 in the nation in experience.

Steve’s first two teams at Iowa State were #4 and #6 in the country in experience per Kenpom. I think there is a solid argument that “on the court” those teams were well equipped to coach themselves. Not saying that Steve didn’t overachieve with the 2nd squad, because he did.

Reactions: Cyclones125

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
If TJ was hired instead of Prohm, there would have been a learning curve. Yes that means the first four years would have had some glitches. Starting year five results with TJ should have started separating. Last year was the worst in program history. Covid played a part of that. COVID and the relaxed transfer rules are also going to help TJ rebuild. This is where TJ getting experience starting a foundation at UNLV should pay dividends. The last four years were painful to watch with Prohm looking like he wasn’t learning. Maybe that four years can be the spring board to get back to relevance. Everything TJ has done so far makes program trajectory look back up. Here’s to dreaming Cyclone Basketball is starting the best 20 year era in program history. Nobody knows for sure but I’m going to dream.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
And if TJ didn't work out...(at least a reasonable possibility after trying to replace what Fred built), would we have hired Prohm at that point...egad!

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Nobody ever said TJ could not recruit he is one of the best.
His first step up into a semi major conference did not go well team performance wise, but it was only 2 years.

Given that Prohm won 2 tournament titles, is not exactly horrible, the problem with Prohm was his seasons followed the pattern below.

TJ has a clean slate, in my mind, I expect year NCAA Tourney bid.

This next year if he manages to get 7 conference wins that is a huge positive.
up and down.gif

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Prohm wasn’t a bad hire at the time. He was thought of a young up and comer. He’d had some good records at Murray St. He’d previously reached out to Fred about installing his system at Murray St. He had a few PG’s he developed to the NBA.

It’s like the NFL/NBA draft. Some guys can look like they have it, and be a bust. You could be one of the best players in college history but it doesn’t translate to the Pros. You could be one of the best assistant coaches there is but not a good Head Coach.

Sure, maybe TJ would have been better. At the time his resume wasn’t. And I think the TJ we have now is better for us than the TJ we would have if he was the guy from the start. Getting experience at a few other schools with different assistants and different caliber/types of players likely made him better.

Reactions: Wally86

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Sig.......once again the usual suspects are arguing between 12-6/10-8. The 12-6 team with a full roster gets ousted in the first round by U of Who. The 10-8 team down Naz Long and makes the sweet sixteen and do you know what proves better coaching.......2 more conference wins.
The 12-6 team also won the Big 12 tournament, Prohms 10-8 lost in the first round.

Also, you must be new to college basketball because when you return guys like McKay, Nader, Morris, Niang, the perception is the will be a year older and improve over the off-season, hence higher expectations.

You must think when a team is good and returns a bunch of studs that they should get worse the next year.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The 12-6 team also won the Big 12 tournament, Prohms 10-8 lost in the first round.

Also, you must be new to college basketball because when you return guys like McKay, Nader, Morris, Niang, the perception is the will be a year older and improve over the off-season, hence higher expectations.

You must think when a team is good and returns a bunch of studs that they should get worse the next year.

In 2016 Iowa State lost to a Final Four team in the Big 12 Tournament. It wasn't in the first round though.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This path is better, not sure he was ready before his stint at SDSU.

I’ll disagree with that. TJ would have been running Fred’s system and had players that were coaches on the floor in Naz, Monte and Matt for the first two years. Plus Georges for the first year. The floor for those teams is what Prohm did and TJ could have cleared that easily just by running Fred’s system and not being dumb.

I also think he would have positioned the roster better to bounce back from player departures.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
What if ISU would have hired coach K back in the day?

I wasn't sure if this thread would get this much traction because it's probably the stupidest basketball related thread ever.

Well, maybe behind these classics:

State of ISU Basketball if they.....

Had hired John Wooden.

Had landed Michael Jordan.

Etc.