Sofija Živaljevic to transfer

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Two years in and the experiment to bring in European BB players seems to have diminished to an after thought with only Camber remaining. She may be the best of the lot and think she is on the verge of a breakout season. Australians will always be welcome too!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Two years in and the experiment to bring in European BB players seems to have diminished to an after thought with only Camber remaining. She may be the best of the lot and think she is on the verge of a breakout season. Australians will always be welcome too!

Was less of an experiment then a full on fallback long shot after striking out on stateside recruits we wanted and not having ones we thought were worth a scholarship as fallbacks here.* We offered three gals we never even saw play. Kind of a weird outlier as the current class and next are not in the same swing and a miss category. The fact we got anyone out of it, Camber, is a plus. Camber seems to have the potential to at least be in a rotation.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Was less of an experiment then a full on fallback long shot after striking out on stateside recruits we wanted and not having ones we thought were worth a scholarship as fallbacks here.* We offered three gals we never even saw play. Kind of a weird outlier as the current class and next are not in the same swing and a miss category. The fact we got anyone out of it, Camber, is a plus. Camber seems to have the potential to at least be in a rotation.

It was a complete experiment. I can't believe many other schools have tried this. Fall back would mean we fell to lower level players and transfers from the U.S. to fill a class. We spent time and energy qualifying overseas talent (3), in a shot in the dark, at some players we never even saw in person. It was a fall back to an experiment if you wish.

Last edited:

willscho

Aug 4, 2016
I think the experiment turned out fine. Konate is off the books. Sofija was a miss and Camber could still turn out to be good.

If we look at the rest of the team it's not like it's all great recruits every year? Nia is behind Camber in my book.

• Friendly
Reactions: nodakst

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It was a complete experiment. I can't believe many other schools have tried this. Fall back would mean we fell to lower level players and transfers from the U.S. to fill a class. We spent time and energy qualifying overseas talent (3), in a shot in the dark, at some players we never even saw in person. It was a fall back to an experiment if you wish.

Last year there were about 300 players from other then the USA playing college basketball.

willscho

Aug 4, 2016
Having done some research on swedish players in college i can tell you Georgia Tech had three swedes on the team a couple of years back.

Chioma Nnamaka went on to the WNBA.

Amanda Zahui went to Minnesota and on to the WNBA

Ellen Nyström and Elin Gustavsson dominated at Colorado State with 7! kids from Europe

Stefanie Yderström played at University of Miami.

Gabriella Hansson at Oregon State

That's just from Sweden, not all of Europe. So I think it's a viable option.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Having done some research on swedish players in college i can tell you Georgia Tech had three swedes on the team a couple of years back. So I think it's a viable option.

That's pretty interesting.

I am not negative on trying to get the best European players. On the contrary I was excited back when we tried to qualify a Dane. We could of used Euro star Julie Vanloo and her friend Emma Meesserman! It is an outlier to have three D-1 players come from Europe though. Fennelly did his best in a search to fill our needs wherever it led.

Last edited:

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Good for her. I'll have to start keeping an eye on the NDSU box scores next year.

nodakst

Aug 9, 2009
NDSUs woman's program is in the dumps and in 4 years Maren Walseth hasn't done anything to improve the trend that started over a decade ago (actually since nDSu went Division l in 2004). So I don't know how long the current coaching staff will be in Fargo if that was a drawing card for this young woman.

Help Support Us

Become a patron