So...the NCAA doesn't really enforce the academic eligibility status of the athletes.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Re: So...the NCAA doesn't really enforce the academic eligibility status of the athle

He got 1 A. I'm impressed.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Re: So...the NCAA doesn't really enforce the academic eligibility status of the athle

It's ridiculous how backward the South still is.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA

Given that it's UNC with their recently handed down sanctions, this isn't a surprise.

Nothing to be seen here.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Given that it's UNC with their recently handed down sanctions, this isn't a surprise.

Nothing to be seen here.

A lot of truth to this post, but still striking to see it all laid out.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

I am confused as to why that webpage exists...

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

I suggest reading the link from this post:

I don't really doubt its authenticity, I am just wondering why the name was changed everywhere but not there. Also why the university used an existing student's grades and information for the webpage demonstration.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE

I will concede the point that there is a higher % of 'yokel factor' down here.

I would counter, unfortunately though, the driving mantra of win at all costs in major college sports exists across the country. Do you not think there are 'rocks for jocks' courses available at most schools. Are there not tutors helping these kids pass these classes, and to what level of help we don't know? Aren't there still jokes on the ISU campus about athletes that have never been seen in a classroom? There certainly was in my time there.

Bottom line, the UNC case was an extreme example, but there have been too many instances of top athletes making it through a few yrs of college academically that came out functionally illiterate.

I don't like it, but I don't know how you fix it.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

I'll grant you that the corrupt activities are much more "sophisticated" at the northern schools (i.e PSU)...

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

I'll grant you that the corrupt activities are much more "sophisticated" at the northern schools (i.e PSU)...

Happens everywhere. Even Stanford has special "Jock classes" that athletes from every sport take. They are not exclusive for athletes but they do not show up on the general course catalog. Athletes are the only ones made aware of them.