Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

kcbob79clone

Why can't we have nice things - Smoker Edition. A seque to the Big12 Edition.

While doing the small trimmed brisket piece I recently posted the smoker flat turned off a couple of times early on. But then ran good for the remaining 5-6 hours of the 7 hours total. I then did smoked shrimp (ridiculously cheap at HEB during shrimp season) and a package of frozen grill veggies (new item at HEB that comes pre-seasoned with olive oil and sea salt). The photo is for one of those meals. It was wonderful.

My process: I warmed the grill up to 150 and then put the veggies (potatoes, carrots, broccoli) on and upped temperature to 450. Veggies were done in about 25 minutes after reaching 450. I then put the shrimp on in the pan shown in the photo for about 10 minutes until they were done.

Nice things you say? When I got the Davy Crocket the temp would zoom to 500 and then cool down to 150. I called GMG and got a new control unit and it worked until the brisket and the brisket I did today. I stopped counting the number of times the grill stopped at 6 or so. The last straw was the display going completely blank. I used the email contact for GMG and I expect I will new a new control unit.

Why can't I have nice things??????

Attachments

• smoked shrimp and veggies.jpg
    smoked shrimp and veggies.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 17

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Has anyone used GrillGrates before? The aluminum grates that are supposed to put a great sear on your meats? I've been seeing them pop up in ads lately and I'm curious, but they're a bit too pricey for me to jump in blind. Just wondering if they actually work as well as advertised.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Threw a packer brisket on the Traeger yesterday. I decided to try something different and dry brine it over night. It turned out really well and the burnt ends were perfect. Easily the best brisket I’ve done so far. A286EC6B-DCB4-4DC7-9426-BD43D66E57C9.jpeg 9DD9D5D8-7032-4A0C-B24B-5BEFE928139F.jpeg

Last edited:

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Smoking my first brisket tonight for the game tomorrow. Carved and trimmed this morning, binded, seasoned, Saran wrapped, and refrigerated. Definitely all a new process for me (never smoked anything before) and by far the most I've spent on a piece of meat so I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Wish me luck!

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Still feeling my new Pitboss out. I did hind quarters and beans last Friday and a couple shoulders last Monday. I’m smoking some wings tomorrow.

I haven’t had to do anything other than set the temp and wait so far although two 9.5 lb butts took like 16 hours to get to 203 last weekend, so that was fun. I ended up cranking them to 280 to finish them off. I was still vacuum packing at like midnight.

The pork was great but the rub sucked ****. It didn’t taste like anything. I made the Amazing Ribs Memphis dust.

F7643D4B-77A6-4876-BBBC-E08DB00DAA14.jpeg

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Smoking my first brisket tonight for the game tomorrow. Carved and trimmed this morning, binded, seasoned, Saran wrapped, and refrigerated. Definitely all a new process for me (never smoked anything before) and by far the most I've spent on a piece of meat so I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Wish me luck!

Just the flat or the whole dam thing?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Still feeling my new Pitboss out. I did hind quarters and beans last Friday and a couple shoulders last Monday. I’m smoking some wings tomorrow.

I haven’t had to do anything other than set the temp and wait so far although two 9.5 lb butts took like 16 hours to get to 203 last weekend, so that was fun. I ended up cranking them to 280 to finish them off. I was still vacuum packing at like midnight.

The pork was great but the rub sucked ****. It didn’t taste like anything. I made the Amazing Ribs Memphis dust.

View attachment 89622

Are you smoking the chicken to start then cranking up the temp near the end to crisp up the skin?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Wish me luck!
Brisket for your first smoke?
That's pretty ambitious.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did a couple full packers yesterday separated point and flat, wrapped at 160. Finished right at 200. Must have gotten a quart of liquid between the two which I saved. Doing chopped brisket sandwiches on the blackstone. Throw some BBQ suace on a handful, warm it up, serve with Hawaiian Buns, and it’s let’s eat!!

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Results from my first go. Don’t judge my cutting, I’m still learning lol. Ended up separating the flat from the point after so that’s why there’s no bark on a few of those strips.

c65f49cf6c4bec719f02e06763c4fc8cb3db162d.jpg

a2be6c95596e758421e2594c90f28dd7e0a8f9d5.jpg

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
For Saturday I didn't want to try to manage a long cook, and knew I had at least one Iowa chop in the freezer, so I went with an old standby favorite. If you've never smoked some Iowa chops, definitely try this one out. It easy and quick since you only smoke to 145 IT max. Unfortunately I only had the one Iowa chop so I had to pull out 2 standard chops to feed the fam.

I left the smoker on 'smoke' the whole time (about 180), which was a bit too long of a cook for the thin chops. They looked great but were a little bit dry. The Iowa chop was still juicy and fantastic.

Going from 130 to 144 IT took way too long on the low setting. Next time when I've got them on for ~2 hours I'll bump up the heat and just get them finished so they don't dry out.

Snap10315.jpg
Snap10316.jpg

Reactions: cstrunk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron