Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Going to pick up some baby back ribs from Costco and throw them on the smoker this afternoon. Running out of some of the rubs I use various meat church and how to bbq right ones. Any good recommendations for other rubs?

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Going to pick up some baby back ribs from Costco and throw them on the smoker this afternoon. Running out of some of the rubs I use various meat church and how to bbq right ones. Any good recommendations for other rubs?
I have transitioned to using Famous Daves and Meat Church brands depending on what I'm making.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Wow, never heard of anyone starting at 180. I'm going to try that.
I used to do 225 straight up to internal temp of 203 but found this gives it a richer flavor and let's the smoke really build up while the fat renders to silk. I still go to 203 IT.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I have transitioned to using Famous Daves and Meat Church brands depending on what I'm making.
I usually stick to the tried and true Holy Cow but this time around I used that for the main brisket cook (both flat and point) and then when pulling the point to make burnt ends, I put the Texas Sugar on as well. Really made the burnt ends pop.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

51x+Jd8g6TL.jpg

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm a brisket snob, and my brisket is better than any i can get at a restaurant. Not a brag, I have just screwed it up enough to know hat not to do.

Link sausage is easy to do and you will be amazed at the results. I get mine from Grazianos and throw it on low for 2 - 3 hours. I usually put it on when I'm doing something else.
I've done brisket once and I ******* nailed it. Now I never want to do it again.

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Home Depot had a Nexgrill flat top grill floor model with some damaged legs. Two legs were slightly bent/twisted. Normally, the grill is $450. Would it be worth seeing what they would sell it for?

IMG_1619.jpeg

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I've done brisket once and I ******* nailed it. Now I never want to do it again.
I've had a few like that, and then a few others where I didn't check the internal meat temp early enough and when I did it was >220. Very expensive beef jerky.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'm a huge fan of this

shopping

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Once you learn to separate the point from the flat on a packer brisket, it is difficult to go back to just putting a whole packer on. It really cuts your cook time down, you get rid of more fat, and you get more bark. I will separate it when it is partially frozen at you can literally separate it with out a lot of knife work once you get it started. You will also notice the difference taste wise as the point is my favorite part.

On side note, I really wish I had a few trip tips to smoke. Those are my favorite, as they are so flavorful!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Wow, never heard of anyone starting at 180. I'm going to try that.
Just be careful with that. You're probably spending a lot of time on the bacterial danger zone. You're not supposed to spend much time on the 40 to 140 meat internal temp spectrum.

You're probably ok with whole muscle meat but beware

Reactions: cstrunk

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just be careful with that. You're probably spending a lot of time on the bacterial danger zone. You're not supposed to spend much time on the 40 to 140 meat internal temp spectrum.

You're probably ok with whole muscle meat but beware
I am very anal about that sort of thing (you don't want to see me cooking chicken) so watched very carefully the first time. I found/find that it still speeds through that zone at a good enough clip to be safe. The addition of a long time at 140+ keeps it safe.

This is the sort of reason I'll never be a "jiggle" or "by feel" guy, I always use my Signals with it's pretty graphs and alarms.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Once you learn to separate the point from the flat on a packer brisket, it is difficult to go back to just putting a whole packer on. It really cuts your cook time down, you get rid of more fat, and you get more bark. I will separate it when it is partially frozen at you can literally separate it with out a lot of knife work once you get it started. You will also notice the difference taste wise as the point is my favorite part.

On side note, I really wish I had a few trip tips to smoke. Those are my favorite, as they are so flavorful!
For p*ssies like me, is this something you think they'd do at Fareway or Hy-Vee if you asked?