Should Iowa State add Nebraska to OOC?

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
-Not smart to consider another P5 OOC game if we're already playing Iowa, regardless who it is
-Cy-Hawk game should be played EVERY year, it's a huge annual event for the state. I don't care how much or little people out of state care - they should, as it's a fun rivalry to watch. This year especially.
-Nebraska would scoff at the idea, on the surface thinking they're too good to play ISU, in private knowing as long as ISU keeps improving, it's not going to be a gimme game. Plus, Nebraska is notorious for scheduling cupcakes in OOC, doubt that will change anytime soon.
-All this said, I would love to see the two teams play again (I grew up in Nebraska and got 2 degrees at ISU). If it ever lined up to play them in a bowl game, I would be there in a heartbeat.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
The Cotton, Peach and Fiesta have no conference tie-ins. Peach and Fiesta are part of CFP this year, but if several things broke right, ISU could face NU in a NY6 Cotton bowl this year, or in a future NY6 bowl.

Course, 4-8 Nebraska has a little work to do.

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
-Not smart to consider another P5 OOC game if we're already playing Iowa, regardless who it is
-Cy-Hawk game should be played EVERY year, it's a huge annual event for the state. I don't care how much or little people out of state care - they should, as it's a fun rivalry to watch. This year especially.
-Nebraska would scoff at the idea, on the surface thinking they're too good to play ISU, in private knowing as long as ISU keeps improving, it's not going to be a gimme game. Plus, Nebraska is notorious for scheduling cupcakes in OOC, doubt that will change anytime soon.
-All this said, I would love to see the two teams play again (I grew up in Nebraska and got 2 degrees at ISU). If it ever lined up to play them in a bowl game, I would be there in a heartbeat.
Agree with everything you wrote except for the bolded. The NE game would replace Iowa in alternating years. The objective is to expand local P5 rivalry without imposing an additional P5 game.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
ISU and NE both currently target a common foe leading to two separate rivalries both bitter and both involving Iowa. Both these rivalrieshave captured regional attention and are growing further in importance. There is no question that this exposure has recruiting implications as well.

However, imo the schedule benefits Iowa more so than isu allowing the Hawkeyes extra oomph in swaying recruits in iowa-nebraska neighborhood and in the general Midwest as well. It would be smart for isu to play both Iowa and ne (alternating years) to equalize this exposure and interest to recruits. Granted this isn't done with a snap of the fingers but a discussion on the merits of asking for a series with nebraska is worthwhile imo.

So should isu try to persuade ne for a ooc series? Would it be preferable to having to play Iowa every year?

no

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and CyTwins

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nebraska left the conference.

That was the chance for ISU and Nebraska to play.

The hype around Nebraska for doing next to nothing for twenty years is annoying but I'll keep an eye on them to see how that goes.

• Agree
Reactions: isukendall

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Agree with everything you wrote except for the bolded. The NE game would replace Iowa in alternating years. The objective is to expand local P5 rivalry without imposing an additional P5 game.
See my second point: I believe the Cy-Hawk game should be held every year, therefore there would be no room to play Nebraska.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
kNU is dead to me. They bailed on the conference because they weren't competitive. Let them rot in a mediocre Big 10 West. **** Nebraska.

They bailed on the Big 12 and then prayed, hoped, wished and begged for the conference to implode, leaving Iowa State with a move to the MAC. I'm sure most Iowa fans would have loved to see that as well. I realize there are ISU fans that have this attitude toward others, but I think it is lower than a snake. Actively hoping for another's misfortune. It was all over talk radio here in Omaha, they made no effort to hide their joy in the Big 12's impending demise in 2010. I hope we never play them in anything again. Plus I still don't forgive Osborne for at least twice (that I recall) running a trick 2-point conversion when they were beating Iowa State 63 -3.

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'd just as soon take Iowa OFF the schedule (or play them only occasionally) & add a lower-tier P5 opponent or MAC team. We have a gauntlet called the ENTIRE BIG XII, so we don't NEED to add KNu (or keep Iowa for that matter) to preserve the difficulty level of our schedule. Right now, Iowa is a beneficiary of having ISU as an "automatic" on their Non-con schedule - it definitely bolsters their SOS (at least since 2017).

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
You started a similarly stupid trolling thread already this week, didn't you?

Short answer: No

Full answer: No, this is stupid

Color commentary - Our rivalry with Iowa is not growing in importance. 95% of the blather for this game is emotion. ISU/Texas, ISU/OU, ISU/TCU - those games are growing in importance.

I'll bet my next clone cone that CMC doesn't wake up every morning worrying about the IA/NE football recruiting corridor. If he could only recruit 10 states, IA and NE would not be in the list.

But nice attempt to try to tie Hoks into the national story that is the rise of ISU football.

I’m pretty confident that this is not true. Iowa probably wouldn’t be the #1 state that Campbell would focus on, but it’s definitely in the top ten. Hard to sustain a successful program in the Midwest without being able to recruit in-state.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Minnesota and Wisconsin are pretty big rivals of Iowa.

Lol yeah you consider Minnesota a rival and Wisconsin considers you guys a rival. If we're going that route Kansas State and West Virginia are pretty big rivals of Iowa State

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
Lol yeah you consider Minnesota a rival and Wisconsin considers you guys a rival. If we're going that route Kansas State and West Virginia are pretty big rivals of Iowa State

Do Kansas State and West Virginia fans chant “We hate Iowa State” at games involving other opponents? No? Nice comparison.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I'd just as soon take Iowa OFF the schedule (or play them only occasionally) & add a lower-tier P5 opponent or MAC team. We have a gauntlet called the ENTIRE BIG XII, so we don't NEED to add KNu (or keep Iowa for that matter) to preserve the difficulty level of our schedule. Right now, Iowa is a beneficiary of having ISU as an "automatic" on their Non-con schedule - it definitely bolsters their SOS (at least since 2017).

The flip side of that coin is that it bolsters our SOS as well. That may come in handy when the day comes where we're knocking on the door of the playoffs...especially if either Texa$ or Oklahoma is having an off year.