Shotgun hunting

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Quick question for you deer shotgun hunters... I've been a hunter for about 6-8 years now, using bow, muzzleloader, and rifle (in kentucky). I am thinking I might shotgun hunt for the first year ever this year, but am not all that interested in buying a new barrell just to shotgun hunt with. I saw they have "rifled" slugs and then regular slugs. Would either of these work with my normal smooth barrelled shotgun I use for pheasants and ducks?

Thanks in advance.

AnkenyClone

Jul 22, 2008
Ankeny
You'll be fine with the smooth barrel and the rifled slugs. Most hunters use a shorter barrel even if it's smooth but I've used a 20 guage for the 15 years I've been hunting and I've never missed with it, you just have a max range of around 100 yds. The rifled barrels only do you any good if you shoot sabots.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
You will be fine with a smooth barrel and a rifled slug. With that setup 50-75 yards is as far as you want to be shooting. Can a 100 yard shot be made? Yeah. Will you more than likely miss or be chasing a deer into the next county? Yes.

I have shot dozens of deer with a shotgun and the longest shot I ever needed was around 85 yards.

Help Support Us

Become a patron